Transitioning from an iPod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning from an iPod

Well, my 80 GB iPod classic is starting to kick the can, so I figured it was time to move on. But instead of choosing another iPod, the new Zune HD really caught my eye. And with the addition of Zune Pass on top of that, it seemed like the right combo for me.

Unfortunately, the switch over isn't that simple; I've used and bought music from iTunes since my 2nd generation iPod mini when I had no idea what "DRM" was. Now, here's the problem: Zune picks up 609 songs, while iTunes picks up 955.

This is all music I payed for, and I'd really love to get my money's worth. Would a program like SoundTaxi fix my problem? I don't want to be chained to Apple and iTunes just because of my music.

Re: Transitioning from an iPod

Do you have the option to redownload your older songs? iTunes is DRM free now, IIRC, so you should be able to use all of your music from iTunes on the Zune.
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
      Do you have the option to redownload your older songs? iTunes is DRM free now, IIRC, so you should be able to use all of your music from iTunes on the Zune.
      Not that I can see, but I have no idea where that option would be.

Comment

I bet you there is a program out there. You could also use the analog hole.

Worse comes to worse you can burn them to CD then rip them back.

You could also repurchase them DRM free but that is pretty expensive from what I have heard.
        Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

iTunes songs should be AAC? Now I haven't used iTunes in years, but could you convert your iTunes DRM'd songs into WAV files? If you can, then you could just simply reconvert them into high-bitrate MP3s.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
            iTunes has the option when purchasing a song to get the DRM-free version, but for a greater price.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              I bet you there is a program out there. You could also use the analog hole.

Worse comes to worse you can burn them to CD then rip them back.

You could also repurchase them DRM free but that is pretty expensive from what I have heard.
              The CD thing would work, but I'd be burning and re-uploading hundreds of songs.

I would be willing to buy a program that works, but I don't want to re-buy every song.

Is there a way to tell which songs are protected and which aren't?

Comment

I don't know of a way to tell which song have DRM but this program burns the songs to a virtual CD drive and puts the new files back on your HDD.

http://www.dvdnextcopyiturns.com/DVD...urns_FREE.html
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                  I don't know of a way to tell which song have DRM but this program burns the songs to a virtual CD drive and puts the new files back on your HDD.

http://www.dvdnextcopyiturns.com/DVD...urns_FREE.html
                  That looks great to me Reaper. Once I do this, I can get rid of (move to backup drive) this music right?

Comment

another option is mediamonkey. I think you have to have the decryption key (i.e. your itunes plays them) but it will convert them in batch mode to mp3.

another advantage to media monkey is is tag fixing....

between mediamonkey and songbird, I have most of my music named / filed correctly, converted to mp3, and fully tagged.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

First things first. According to Wikipedia, ALL music downloaded from the iTunes store since October 2007 is DRM-free. iTunes Plus songs were more expensive, and DRM-free, but Apple has made all music DRM-free and they remain at the 99 pice point I might add (this is why I was finally able to cash in iTunes cards for music for my Creative Zen).

Secondly, iTunes sound be able to convert any music you have already, the problem is that the way to do this is not very intuitive, nor is is obvious (odd for Apple...).

To begin with, let's go ahead and view only the music that needs to be messed with. Go to your library and set up all your music to be available in list format (the button the arrow is pointing at). Then go View->View Options, you'll want check only the ones circled, it'll make everything easier to look at:

From there, click on Kind to organize your music by its compression type. This'll get a little tricky, depending on what songs are showing up. First and foremost, we should remove all songs that are not AAC, the file format that iTunes natively uses.

*NOTE: before trying this, do a quick test on a single song to make sure that you don't delete it. I know the worst case scenario is it going in the trash, but if enough stuff is in there it could auto-delete.*

Just select all non-AAC files by selecting the first non-AAC song and then scrolling all the way down to the bottom and selecting the last song on the list while holding down shift. Just hit the delete key and you should get two warnings. The first one is asking whether or not you'd like to remove these from your library. The second one will ask if you want to put these songs in the trash, to this one you should select "Keep Files".

After that you should be left with the encoded files, now you just need to convert them into MP3's, which is were you'll use iTunes' "hidden" conversion feature. For this, go Edit -> Preferences. In the General Tab of this new window you should see a button labeled "Import Settings", click it.

At the top of the next window that opens you should see "Import Using: " next to a drop down menu. From that drop down menu, select "MP3 Encoder" and using the drop down menu next to "Setting", select "Higher Quality".

And now from there it'll be as easy as selecting all you're songs (Crt+A) and going Advanced -> Create MP3 Version.

I hope it works, I'm not sure if older iTunes songs (i.e. files protect by FairPlay) can be converted, but I do know that it does work for the new, DRM-free AAC files.

Can anyone who has some old iTunes songs laying around check this out for me?
                      BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                      CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

All of my new music (AAC) plays fine on the Zune software, so that doesn't worry me much.

Comment

with the program I posted it makes a copy of your music, so you would have your original files from iTunes and the new DRM free files
                          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I used noteburner when I had to take my then 1500 song library out of itunes (and in to foobar). I am note sure where to buy it, but a google search should turn it up, I think a trial might do the first 3 minutes or something the full does it all. (my version was borrowed from a friend whom I assume purchased it legally).

Any advice for tag fixing for those of us not using iTunes? I've been considering downloading it just to use mediamonkey, but that seems like a waste of effort. I know foobar comes with something Freedb related, but I have been having trouble using that.

Comment

songbird is a great tagger if you want to do it manually... mediamonkey can fix a lot of your stuff automatically, and you can get it free with a "sign up for a trial offer" setup. I got a 21 free download subscription to emusic or something with no commitment. Got mediamonkey for free, 21 free songs, and didn't pay for any of it... (I did wind up buying like 13 more songs to finish getting the 3rd whole album from someone, but I digress....)
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X