New Video Card Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Video Card Problems

Recently, my 8800GTS 512 just died, completely, on me. Screen went blank, restart computer and get 1 long and 3 short beeps. I bought a EVGA Geforce 260 1792MB card.. and.. I honestly can't say i'm that impressed.

I immediately installed the 192.68 drivers and have had nothing but problems. It MAY be a power supply issue, but i'm not sure, as the PSU should cut it at least according to newegg on the amperage.

To date, problems are.. The screen flickers every now and then like the video driver is restarting, or the screen will suddenly lag for .5-1 seconds with no actual input showing but everything in the background still going, until i scroll up or do something and then my input will be shown. (In XP, however, on windows 7 test with same drivers, i'm constantly getting a WDMM error every hour or so saying the display driver needed to be restarted). Also, occaisionally i'd leave the computer to do something, or overnight, and it would be completely unresponsive and crashed with either a blank screen, or crashing and halting on desktop. Minidumps revealed the NVCPL.dll and nv4_disp.dll's crashing. This was fixed somewhat by downgrading to 186 drivers. On tabbing out in WINDOWED TF2 at the same resolution as my desktop, i'd get massive graphical corruption:

Shot at 2009-09-25 Although it wasn't usually that bad, just missing players for a bit.

for an example. I i haven't had a LOT of problems in games beyond that, though the performance isn't quite as high as I would have expected. I do enjoy a average fps of 46 on 1600x1200 full settings in DOW2 and around 89-120FPS in HL2 mod Age of Chivalry. I haven't tried an fps meter with World at War although my other card didn't have that much of a problem running on full settings on that either.

Mostly, it's just these errors that show up on the desktop. Also, occaisionally i'l have to reboot because it seems like the video processing is going very slowly, i.e. when switching windows the windows will take a while to minimize/come to the front, or a STEAM window will take half a second to draw a flash ad and then fill in the ad, or scrolling down in a web app will leave lines and be cluttered, but on scrolling up and then down slowly be fine. Just little things.

Not sure if it's a bad card, or my power supply is failing, or the drivers suck (i hear that a lot with the 190 drivers, and practically every driver since 167)

PSU is an OCZ GameXtreme 650w SLI/Crossfire approved PSU with 4 18A +12 rails.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: New Video Card Problems

drivers should be fine but I would RMA that card since your PSU should not be the problem, I would look to returning it to the retailer if possible because while evga is a good brand the replacement cards usually have issues of their own (I went through 3 cards before I got a working card)
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Yeah I used to use EVGA also but there replacement cards are notorious for arriving at your door step looking like they were in some other machine a few days prior and not working, BFG tech FTW!!!!
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

As an edit, i just did an emergency dump of all my nvidia drivers and Creative drivers just in case (creative's been screwing with me with the bug that takes forever to shutdown)

Uninstall through control panel, reboot. go through safe mode, run 3dGuru's Phyxion Driver Sweeper to remove all Nvidia and PhysX files, and creative files. Reboot. Run CCleaner to take care of registry entries. reboot. Reinstall drivers and reboot.

Maybe this will fix, i don't know.

My brother's been LOLing at me because he's an ATi fan and he has a 4870x2 that he says runs fine (though runs extremely hot, around 80c)

I've been with nvidia since the geforce 2, last i tried an ATi was a 9250 and the catalyst drivers were horribly broken back then, enough that just RUNNING catalyst would screw up and you needed to use the plain drivers. Maybe i'l have to see some Radeons? but they appear to suck power like noone's business.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

not the new ones (5800 series) the driver support has gotten a lot better from what I know but don't have enough cash/need right now to upgrade from my 8800GT

Link for some proof http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3650&p=13
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

ATI cards are fine these days. Their drivers are pretty much just as good as Nvidia's and while the 4800 series does use more power and run a bit hotter than the GTX 2XX series, the cards are designed to run at those temps.

That said, you still have an amazing card and if you can RMA it to the reseller, there is no sense in giving up and buying a different brand.
            sigpic

Comment

The benchmarks for the 5800 didn't look that promising. It fell behind some of the GTX cards and didn't seem that much more powerful than the current 4800 ones.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                ...... Creative drivers just in case (creative's been screwing with me with the bug that takes forever to shutdown).
                That's what's causing it! That's been driving me NUTS the past couple of weeks.

And yeah I agree with Acreo; while somewhat of an improvement, the 5800 series wasn't the mind blowing leap forward they made it out to be. With the hardware that thing is packing it should have been.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I've had zero problems with my EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked for around a year now.
                  I know at some point I had a problem with the nv4_disp.dll crashing once every hour or two if I played a game, so the drivers can be screwy, though.

Oh and if FPS wise you can't see the difference, try Far Cry 2 or Crysis or somesuch. I know when I went from my 8800 to my 260 my FPS in Far Cry 2 nearly doubled.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                    That's what's causing it! That's been driving me NUTS the past couple of weeks.
                    Thats what I looked at when looking for some problems and seems to be the concensus. You're talking about the "Hit restart/shutdown, wait, wait, wait, nothing happens, system tray icons disappear as you roll over them, hammer on restart a couple more times (bringing up anything else will tell you the system is shutting down) and then finally it moves to the shutdown screen? Its something in the creative drivers, yeah.

Supposedly there is a beta driver you can get if you bug a CSR in the forums or live help if you really want it that fixes that, they haven't released it for general consumption yet.

Whats been driving me nuts is occaisionally the Creative Audio Service will screw up, messing up my taskbar, and shutting itself off. Need to restart Windows Audio Service which depends on it, then it works again.

Oh and if FPS wise you can't see the difference, try Far Cry 2 or Crysis or somesuch. I know when I went from my 8800 to my 260 my FPS in Far Cry 2 nearly doubled.
                    Unfortunately I don't own those games and don't use Vista so i have no DX 10 support (And refused to buy FC2 because of the DRM issues.. though i allowed myself Sacred 2 which has the same DRM but ships with at least 3 methods, including an offline method, of revoking licenses)

I tried Ghostbusters though, and it worked nicely, except for the last 2 or so levels and fights, with lagging when looking at certain things, just swinging the mouse around. Can't tell what it is. Don't believe it can be a ram/cpu bottleneck because a Wolfdale 3ghz and PC2 6400 in DDR mode can't be THAT slow.

Comment

I recently traded up to the Evga GTX 260 216 from a Evga 8800GTS 640MB and I didnt really notice any improvements either. My FPS went up some and I was able to play with some increase in eye candy, but it wasnt the increase I got when I went to the 8800GTS from a 4600. Although there was a huge leap in tech from the 4600 to the 8800, but not so much between the 8800 and the 260. All in all I am happy with the card and havent had any major issues thus far.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X