Latest Nvidia drivers raise performance, fix bugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Nvidia drivers raise performance, fix bugs

Nvidia folks may want to update, as it looks like these drivers might give you a good boost. I hope it really does help with ARMA2:

Compared to the previous Microsoft-certified drivers (190.62), the 191.07 set purportedly brings these performance increases:

# Up to 12% performance increase in ARMA 2
    # Up to 8% performance increase in Batman: Arkham Asylum with GPU PhysX enabled
    # Up to 50% performance increase in Call of Juarez: Blood in Bound with SLI enabled
    # Up to 14% performance increase in Fallout 3 (indoor scenes) with antialiasing enabled
    # Up to 10% performance increase in Far Cry 2 (DX9 version) with antialiasing enabled
    # Up to 34% performance increase in Prototype with antialiasing enabled
    Check out the article:
    Latest Nvidia drivers raise performance, fix bugs

I got my rig set up last week and am trying to install a bunch of updates and patches.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Latest Nvidia drivers raise performance, fix bugs

Any news on this? I was having a horrible time with the 190.62 drivers performancewise (screen refresh/driver shutting down, horrible performance in java, etc) and even the 186 drivers aren't too great for Java support (getting bad systemwide lag in a java+python opensource app that i didn't used to get, but at least it draws the screen in a reasonable fashion in that i can actually scroll without tons of artifacts and decals corrupting/overwriting other elements of the screen.)

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

As I don't own any of the games listed, I can't comment on the driver's improvement in those games.

I upgraded after reading the post and so far, I have not run into any problems playing Freelancer and Killing Floor. No BSODs in or out of game and no graphics slowness or anything else.

Currently running Windows 7 Pro.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I updated last night. With the 190 drivers, my fps would drop into the 60s during a 2142 orbital strike. With the 191 drivers, my fps held in the 85-90 range. I haven't tested the dreaded 2142 alt-tab lockup yet...

Comment

I upgraded for my eVGA 9500GT in hopes that it would help eliminate "out of memory" crashes in WoW when moving through high-texture areas of the world. The incidence has dropped dramatically, but I just had another crash an hour ago. The problem appears to be some kind of leak in WoW when using high detail textures at very large resolutions. (I'm running at 1900x1600 with the game windowed.) I'm hoping they'll eventually build a 64-bit binary so that it won't be so subject to this kind of problem.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

i cant use my GPU as a physX with an ati card...

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ndows-7-a.html
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Sorry to zombie this up a little bit, but... Any news on the suitability of these drivers?

I've been hearing NARSTY things about running 191.07 in conjunction with nForce mobos, especially ones with an n200 bridge chip in them (750i, 780i) and i don't really want to just take a chance of needing to do a complete reinstall. Also, the nvidia forums have been down for a while for a merge and won't be up till november.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I've still been using the 186 release myself for everything. It gets frustrating when a new driver comes out and you're afraid to install because of what it may break...seems it didn't used to be this way not long ago...
                  "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                  -- Red Forman

Comment

I've been using the beta version of this driver on my P35 board since it came out with no issues
                    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                      I've been using the beta version of this driver on my P35 board since it came out with no issues
                      Thats great :row__523: But your intel P35 is not my ASUS nForce 750i SLI board.

RedForman: I've still been using the 186 release myself for everything. It gets frustrating when a new driver comes out and you're afraid to install because of what it may break
                      Yeah, I uninstalled, used 3DGURU's driver cleaner (wiped out entire nvidia physics/chipset/video drivers) and reinstalled with 186 WHQL drivers. Even then, I still get some issues with freezing/halting, but it's not nearly as bad as before. People are calling it the curse of 190, 190 did SOMETHING to mess up driver support deep in windows or registry or something, because people aren't able to get rid of some of the bugs thereafter. Some people have said switching RAM sticks was the only way they were rid of it. wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                        Thats great :row__523: But your intel P35 is not my ASUS nForce 750i SLI board.

Yeah, I uninstalled, used 3DGURU's driver cleaner (wiped out entire nvidia physics/chipset/video drivers) and reinstalled with 186 WHQL drivers. Even then, I still get some issues with freezing/halting, but it's not nearly as bad as before. People are calling it the curse of 190, 190 did SOMETHING to mess up driver support deep in windows or registry or something, because people aren't able to get rid of some of the bugs thereafter. Some people have said switching RAM sticks was the only way they were rid of it. wierd.
                        RAM sticks? lol - uhhh no. Reseating them can help with boot and stability issues, and by changing the RAM they may have also reset the CMOS... blah blah blah, but unless they're a real low quality DDR2 533 or 667 - I doubt it effects the GPU. I remember some 750i SLI chipset boards had some bugs when they first came out. Have you looked in the ASUS P5N-D Forum?

Now I don't have your mobo either, so don't yell at me ;) too, but I do have an Asus (P6T X58, i7 920).

Two things you didn't mention were the GPU and OS you're running. SLI board, are you running two cards? That info would help people address the issue with related data. Pertaining to drivers, I can just comment on the NVidia based drivers on my system. Your monitor size and resolution might help as well.

I'm running a EVGA GTX275 using the 191.07 drivers on Win 7 64bit and XPpro 32bit with no issues at 1900x1200 (24" monitor).

I also have read in the various forums about the reported 190 series problems, and in addition to guru3d you may want to check out the EVGA website, Forums and drivers for more suggestions and options. Way better than the generic NVidia site...

You mentioned using driver cleaner. Did you run the cleaner is safe mode? May not have made a difference, just curious.

-Zip

:icon_frow
                        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                        sigpic

Comment

Lol, what is this, an inquisition? :row__593: But.
                          XP service pack 3. I bought a new EVGA GTX 260 core 216 1792mb.
                          You got my motherboard right. Now, i haven't updated from the 0601 BIOS update, because back when i got this mobo, board updates broke various things (video decoding being a big one, which was bugged UNTIL that update (and for some people, even then) so that might be an issue.

Corsair XMS PC2-6400, 2x2GB in double data rate mode, EPP timings manually entered in BIOS because it won't detect them (4-4-4-12 2t command rate, 2.1v)

processor is a stock e8400 wolfdale 3ghz.

One thing I HAVE noticed is under system information.. my Soundblaster XFI xtremegamer shares IRQ16 with the videocard, for some reason. Although so many other things (memory addresses, especially, are shared between many onboard components of the motherboard) are shared too.

Ran the driver cleaner in safemode. cannot install video drivers in safemode, something in the physics install fails because it's depending on a service/driver not loadable in safemode.

Comment

Hrm, some possible confirmation of that, IE:
                            http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/tm.asp?m=100961981

UPDATE: eVGA has duplicated the problem and working on it.

Problem:

ORIGINAL: iride4u
                            Let me see if I can help some users understand what is happening.
                            1; This problem is only known to attack computers with Nvidia chipsets or Nvidia NF200 chips.
                            2; This problem starts with the install of 191.07 WHQL drivers.
                            3; Only some computers are effected so there may be some other common thread that has not been figured out yet.
                            4; In most cases the computer runs fine for a day or two after the drivers are installed.
                            5; The problems start out very minor and grow over the next 48 hours.
                            6; Rolling back the drivers may help. Reinstalling Windows may help. Clearing CMOS may help.
                            7; Changing parts other than the motherboard does not help.
                            8; Replacing the motherboard with a non NF200 or non Nvidia motherboard cures the problem.

Bad CPU, video cards, and memory are not part of the problem but can cause similar problem to some of the simptons.

What happens is first a slight studer in a game or benchmark. The next step is your stable video card settings are no longer stable. But you can move the card to another system and it with at your normal stable settings. Your system will further degrade from here until it is almost unuseable.

Cause: Currently unkown. Believed to be 191.07 affecting nvidia/nf200chipset.

Comment

That sounds really bad Bis. Luckily I'm not running a nVidia chipset mobo, but I feel sorry for those who are running nV chipsets.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X