Dead hard drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead hard drives

Where can I get them for free/almost free? Any ideas?

Why?

I want the magnets out of them. I have found that I can use them to organize my tools. I have some plywood covered with stainless steel. I use the powerful magnets out of the hard drive and almost all my tools stick to them in any pattern I want. Even if I hang the plywood from the ceiling!

Works really well for oddly shaped tools. Only my largest pipe wrenches need more than one magnet.

Some of the aluminum and plastic tools don't work but I am working on a solution for them involving the magnets and velcro straps.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Dead hard drives

Why not just get some rare earth magnets? They work just as well and can be had for relatively cheap.

Hell, I have a pack stuck to the fridge door that I bought at a dollar store nearby (yes for $1).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Why not just get some rare earth magnets? They work just as well and can be had for relatively cheap.

Hell, I have a pack stuck to the fridge door that I bought at a dollar store nearby (yes for $1).
      The only ones i have found are not the right size. Too thick. This ones work best with the tools like wrenches, screw drivers, sockets etc.

And they don't have the same non-corrosive coatings.

I found some at a store (without the coating) and it wasn't as strong as the ones I have gotten from the HD. I want to be sure the tools are not going to fall off or slide down. Could damage the tools or a person.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
        The only ones i have found are not the right size. Too thick. This ones work best with the tools like wrenches, screw drivers, sockets etc.

And they don't have the same non-corrosive coatings.

I found some at a store (without the coating) and it wasn't as strong as the ones I have gotten from the HD. I want to be sure the tools are not going to fall off or slide down. Could damage the tools or a person.
        Hmm, non-corrosive coating. A can of Rust-Oleum usually does the trick I think. Again, probably something you don't want to do since you're looking for a ultra-cheap solution.

I don't know of any store/e-store that sells broken hard drives in bulk (or at all). Your best bet is to hit up your local computer store (or big-box store) and ask them if they have any old computer parts they are throwing away that you could have for free or at a low cost. Might be worth mentioning, you just want the internal magnets for project use. Wholesale computer conventions are also a great place to find cheap old hardware (or stuff people throw away).

I'll also check with my dad to see if he knows where to buy any thin but strong magnets. He's also asked me about this in the past (same usage as you) and when I did the research back then, I ended up with the above suggestion.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X