Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed on new computer

Hey guys,

So whilst I am not a hardcore gamer, I do enjoy playing Project Reality, TF2, and the Silent Hunter series occasionally, I just purchased a new computer as a stand by to replace the current computer which is dying. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion Slimline s5150t customizable Desktop PC

* • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) w/ Free Windows 7 Upgrade
    * • Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E5300 [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB]
    * • 4GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
    * • 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
    * • Integrated graphics - Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 [VGA]
    * • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    * • Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
    * • 6-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, headphone port
    * • Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
    * • HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

I will be getting a better video card, and I am up for suggestions in the $75-$125 range that dont require upping the power pack (220 watt power supply). The computer only has 1 expansion PCIe slot, so no SLI for me.

Here's a link to the motherboard specs. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&lang=en#N1402

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Re: Opinions needed on new computer

Since you bought the slimline HP and memory serves me right, the price for an upgraded powersupply for your PC is going to be very expensive for what little bit of extra juice you get. As Far as video card. I would say a Geforce 9400 GS due to your current power supply wattage. However if you were to upgrade to atleast 350watts go with a 9600 or 9800 GTS

Comment

Sorry, man, but someone a lot smarter than me is going to have to help you find a video card that a) will be substantially better than your IGP for gaming, b) will fit into your case and c) draws a small enough amount of power at load to need less than a 300 watt PSU.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments, keep 'em coming. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the low profile Radeon HD 4350?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150390

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Your total system power might just squeak in below the rated power of your PSU at idle and given the fact that it is an OEM unit, that would make me really, really nervous. It is pretty much identical, just a bit slower, than the Radeon 4550 so if you're getting one or the other, go for the 4550. Both cards recommend at least a 300 watt PSU and even though you might be able to squeak by with your 220 watter, I doubt it would be stable at load and worst case scenario, it blows up and takes out a good chunk of your brand new computer in the process.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ACOGRecon View Post
            Thanks guys for your comments, keep 'em coming. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the low profile Radeon HD 4350?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150390
            I've got a much better one picked out. << This was the card I recommended to a few people who also bought cheap slim desktops and is going to be the card I'd use in a future slim desktop gaming rig. It's a HD4650, so it should pump out better performance than the HD4350.

Without know the manufacturer or tech specs of your PSU, I'd have no clue how well it would handle a video card upgrade. Usually the slim PSUs are very efficient and can deliver at least 80% power efficiency if not more. I don't know if that would apply to your OEM PSU in your HP slim desktop.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Be very careful before you pick out your card. All that have been suggested thus far are all great cards for what your looking to do, being low profile is even better due to the space limitations of your case. Just make sure you have the power to handle it or you could risk shorting something out

Comment

If you get the 4650 make sure to avoid :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121338

64 bit bad, 128 bit good
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Are you within the 30 days of purchase.

My advice is to take it back for refund and come back to this forum and post your budget and ask for help. You can buy yourself immensely better components for probably less than what you paid for this rig. Putting together your own machine is way easier than you think and we'll help you !!
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Yeah ACOG are you within 30 days ?
                    If so, I like Grunt's advice the best.

|

Comment

I am within the 30 days, but due to work considerations I need a work station immediately so this computer will not be a gaming rig. I don't want to limit myself to integrated video though, and would like to play the occasional game. I compose music and now that my computer has died I need a platform to use to do that as deadlines are approaching. I understand as a gaming rig a slimline is a dumb idea, and I am a fan of custom builds, but time was a factor with this purchase. Does anyone have any ideas on possible PSU upgrades - from the stock 220 watt to possibly 300-350 watts?

Comment

If i remember correctly, they use a custom psu which will make it hard to find an upgrade for it. They also tend to run pretty warm so if you do put a new graphics card in it, watch out for overheating. Also, as Buckets said, under load the graphics card might draw too much power and mess up a lot of stuff. I haven't been following the new computers since i lost my job (Circuit City), so the new slims might have changed.

Building a tower yourself is probably the best option and is relatively easy. The hardest part is selecting the right parts, which I'm sure many here at TG would be more than willing to help with if you gave a certain budget. I would have held out for Windows 7 too. Perhaps next time you will have more notice. The slims are good for normal stuff but I'm leery about putting a graphics card in one.
                        Viking

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X