Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte mobo fans (Tarpan's new system to be)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte mobo fans (Tarpan's new system to be)?

Putting together a new system, looking at using the following mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128400

The only thing that concerns me is the placement of the onboard heat sinks vs. the PCIe 16 slots. I'll be tossing in a GTX275 video card, and it looks like space will be an issue either either a blocked PCIe 1 slot or an unusable PCIe 16 top slot. So, is there anyone here that uses this board by chance that has some feedback?

Additionally, here's the complete system so far just for kicks (will be getting case and PSU locally, haven't decided on getting a new sound card or re-using my current):

Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827249054
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319
    Video: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130475
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220333
    Processor/Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.270432

I'm planning on running Windows 7 as well.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Gigabyte mobo fans (Tarpan's new system to be)?

Looks like a good build, although I'm not sure why you would go with a 275 at this point when a 5850 is the same price and competes with the 285 in performance...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
      Looks like a good build, although I'm not sure why you would go with a 275 at this point when a 5850 is the same price and competes with the 285 in performance...
      I'm (more than) slightly behind the times on video cards and other hardware really. I usually do a Tom's Hardware check before putting together a system, and every time I look at the charts for ATI cards they're presented in being awesome... while in crossfire mode. While I'm buying this mobo specifically so I can expand to SLI/Crossfire in the future if needed, I don't want to start off with two cards.

I originally wanted to toss a GTX285 in this system, but they're on backorder it seems. I'll have to look more into ATI 5850. Although with the double-wide card here, it makes me worry about space with this gigabyte mobo even more now.

I currently use an 8800GT, but previous to that I had an ATI card so I have no hang-ups about brand really. I just want to use what works best for the buck.
      [squadl]

Comment

The Tom's Hardware charts aren't as useful as you might think because once they run a test, they rarely retest as drivers mature and their numbers are skewed there. The 275 is still a great card but given the fact that the 5850 is faster and DirectX 11 compliant, it sort of seems like a no-brainer.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm planning to build a new system, too. Although I'm still debating whether to go i7 with socket 1366 versus socket 1156.

Tarpan, I'm curious to know why you picked the GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P? It appears to be a solid mobo so it's on my short list, but I'm also looking at the ASUS P7P55D PRO, which also goes for ~$170, and the MSI P55-GD80 ($215), which HardOCP loved.

I really want to use an SSD, but I think I'll wait until after the holidays for the prices to drop.

Have you selected a HSF? I think I'm going to go fanless with the Corsair H50, which can be had for $60 after rebate.
          Last edited by Melee; 10-15-2009, 02:29 AM.
          |TG|Melee
          Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I picked the Gigabyte board because my last 3 boards have been from Gigabyte and, save for one northbridge fan going out on my very first board, they've all been really solid boards. Also, starting with the board I have (so about 2 years ago), Gigabyte introduced solid state capacitors which seem to be working pretty well overall. So my pick has really been more of a "this is what I've always used" than anything else.

I've also looked at the ASUS board that you mentioned and the MSI GD65. Both seem like solid boards, though for some reason I have a tickle in the back of my head to not get the ASUS. In all honesty, the only real concern I have about the Gigabyte board is that it looks like the placement of its heatsinks basically makes the top 2-3 PCIe slots unusable- including the top PCIe x16 slot!

I'll be using the stock HSF that comes with the i7-860. I never overclock or do anything fancy, so I don't really worry about changing around components. The case I'll be getting locally has a front, rear and 2x top fans to move air about, and it also has space for 1-2 additional side fans as well. That's plenty to keep things cool. When I have more time I'll see if I can find it on newegg and post it; it's ugly but functional, just like me. :)
            [squadl]

Comment

I finally finished making decisions and ordering parts, so I thought I'd share what I will be building over the upcoming long holiday weekend:

CPU: Core i5-750
              Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
              HSF: Corsair H50 (a closed loop, no-maintenance, water-cooling solution)
              RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator
              SSD: OCZ Agility 60GB (for Win7 and key games)
              HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
              PSU: Corsair 750HX
              Case: Antec 900
              DVD: Samsung SH-S223L
              GPU: sticking with my 8800GTS until the new Nvidia cards come out and the price war begins

Recycling my sound card, keyboard, mouse, speakers, LCD, etc. from my old system. A four-year-old Athlon 64 X2 4200+, which now goes to my wife and kids.

Happy Thanksgiving! :row__523:
              |TG|Melee

Comment

What Melee didn't tell you was that I was his sole source of inspiration for this system build. He was all like, "But I don't wanna," and I was like, "All the cool kids are doing it. You want to be cool, don't you?" and he was like "Alright, if it makes me cool!"*

*The stories expressed in this post are only based on real events insomuch as something happened somewhere in the world. The details contained within may not completely or accurately reflect the actual events portrayed.
                [squadl]

Comment

Ooops, did I leave that part out? Sorry about that.

Actually, Tarpan and I have been PMing a lot about this recently and his opinions were valued. Thanks Tarpan!
                  |TG|Melee

Comment

That build is pretty close to the direction I'm going in Melee.(1156 socket, SSD) I'm waiting for the sales next weekend before pulling the trigger on some of the pieces but I already have some parts in hand.(case, new Kingston 40gb SSD, Corsair H50, win7 pro in route) I would be interested in hearing how that H50 works out for ya.
                    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

My whole story on this is that Melee and I have been consorting on good deals and techs out there. Since I no longer desire to play COD:MW2, I suddenly lost my rush to build. However, I wanted the ATI 5850 for my video card and it has pretty much been out of stock for weeks. Well, the other night I managed to put an order through for one and I told myself that if the card actually shipped, I'd build the rest of my machine. Well, it shipped from NJ this morning. :P

I was originally looking at the i7-860, but I'm going to pair with Melee and get the i5-750 instead as there doesn't really seem to be too terrible much of a difference between them except for $90-100 in price. I'll be grabbing 8GB of RAM to start with, however. I already bought my case and PSU locally last weekend, so I just have to decide on my mobo (think I'm going with the MSI P55-GD65, but I may bail and go back to my trusty Gigabyte) and grab the rest of my junk. Since I'm keeping my current computer in one piece, I'm building from scratch and that costs more $$. I may recycle my sound card though and just make my old computer use on-board since it's only going to be used to play Civ4 on my 40" tv from now on. :P
                      [squadl]

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                        That build is pretty close to the direction I'm going in Melee.(1156 socket, SSD) I'm waiting for the sales next weekend before pulling the trigger on some of the pieces but I already have some parts in hand.(case, new Kingston 40gb SSD, Corsair H50, win7 pro in route) I would be interested in hearing how that H50 works out for ya.
                        Mantis, after the way I obsessed over prices I hope you're wrong about the sales... :row__572:

I'll let you know how it goes with the H50, but everything I have read from other users has been positive.

What does the rest of your build look like?
                        |TG|Melee

Comment

Rest depends on the sales but the general gameplan ATM appears to be:

- midrange 1156 board with i5-750 unless some really good i7-920 combo deal happens
                          - 4GB reliable ram
                          - 5850 when I find one back near what the MSRP is supposed to be
                          - solid 650-750W PSU - looking at this one
                          - new monitor that is larger than the previous one

With the H50 hopefully you grabbed in through the current Fry's sale or recent Best Buy sale?
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Here is what I just built. Am loading software on it now.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Deluxe P55 1366

Graphic Card: XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5

Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC

DVD: LG GH22NS50 22XDVD-RW SATA

Sound: onboard

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC

CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552 92mm CPU Cooler For Intel Socket LGA1156

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                              Rest depends on the sales but the general gameplan ATM appears to be:

- midrange 1156 board with i5-750 unless some really good i7-920 combo deal happens
                              - 4GB reliable ram
                              - 5850 when I find one back near what the MSRP is supposed to be
                              - solid 650-750W PSU - looking at this one
                              - new monitor that is larger than the previous one

With the H50 hopefully you grabbed in through the current Fry's sale or recent Best Buy sale?
                              Prices on the 58XX won't be coming down very soon unless TSMC can sort out their yields, unfortunately. :( I'm thinking about seeing what's out there this summer and putting something together then that can run BF:BC2 in a respectable fashion.
                              Last edited by Buckets; 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X