Keyboard not responding in XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard not responding in XP

Well, I finally started to put my new system together.. After everything else I went through, I finally get to the point of being able to log into windows.. And, right then, the keyboard will not work. The keyboard works in the bios.. The keyboard worked when setting up windows, but the keyboard will not work when it comes time to log in for the first time and type in my password.

Please tell me someone has an idea for this. It's a ps/2 connection.

Thanks.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Keyboard not responding in XP

check if the indicator lights toggle when you press caps lock or num lock.

you might try unplugging and replugging the keyboard when its at the windows login prompt.

also, if your computer has both a mouse and keyboard port try switching them and see what happens.

what kind of keyboard do you have?
    did it come with a usb adaptor?.. if so give that a try.

try changing options in the BIOS that involve the keyboard... one I specifically have in mind has to do with USB keyboard support.. you may try disabling or enabling that option.

Just a few ideas... unfortunately i have never run across the problem myself.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I have tried most of your suggestions already, specifically disabling the usb keyboard support and replugging the keyboard at the prompt.

I tried 2 different keyboards. They are both true ps/2. I don't have a usb one to try.. I'll keep trying things and report more as I find it.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Maybe go buy a usb-ps/2 adapter? You should have no trouble finding one and they should be fairly cheap, otherwise, I have no clue, but any option is better than none.

Comment

That's a really strange problem. You can use it for the BIOS, so it's not a physical problem. I don't think the windows keyboard driver could be faulty since its such a basic thing. The only thing I can suggest is explore all relevant BIOS settings, but it seems you already have.

Comment

The one bit of info that was left out here is that when Tempus was installing Windows XP he was using a Logitech Multimedia keyboard, not a standard keyboard. So, my guess is that the standard keyboard drivers are not being loaded when XP starts up and since the installation process is not finished until you actually log into Windows for the first time and install the Logitect drivers, windows is unable to find the correct keyboard driver.

You'd think that just booting from a standard keyboard would fix the problem, but my further guess is that since Windows did not find a standard keyboard on install, it didn't set up standard keyboard drivers for the regular boot process.

However, I'd bet if you booted in safe mode (press f8 when windows begins to load) windows will force the standard ps/2 keyboard drivers to load. From there you can perhaps install the logitect drivers or redetect a standard keyboard layout so you can use a standard keyboard.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'm still stuck. I can boot into safe mode and the keyboard works, so I took it off. I can see that there's some kind of problem in device manager. "This device cannot start (code 10)"

I have uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the driver (from CD even), tried a totally different keyboard, everything. But it just won't work. :(

Anybody?

Comment

Well, problem solved. Was an error in Gigabyte's bios.. I don't see how that affected Windows XP, but it did.

So, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have the new machine up and running soon. Here's to lag-free video. :D

Comment

Great job, Tempus. Glad to hear the problem is solved.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                    Well, problem solved. Was an error in Gigabyte's bios.. I don't see how that affected Windows XP, but it did.

So, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have the new machine up and running soon. Here's to lag-free video. :D
                    Can you give more details on what was wrong with the BIOS?

Glad to hear you were able to locate the problem... sux that it was shipped new to you that way. Should have went with that Asus. :icon16: j/k
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                      Can you give more details on what was wrong with the BIOS?

Glad to hear you were able to locate the problem... sux that it was shipped new to you that way. Should have went with that Asus. :icon16: j/k
                      Well, there turns out to be a bios error.. I need to flash a new bios, but there was a workaround... Turn OFF support for USB mouse......

So... That works, and I can still use my usb mouse. Whatever. I don't understand the relationship.

Yes, thanks to WOMBAT! I got the gigabyte board.. hehe.. But you still approved it Asch! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X