Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new camera help, please

cameras are hardware, right?

Let me say that I basically know nothing about cameras.

I'm debating between these two.

Link01

Link02

The first one looks like the better, as far as I can tell. Anyone know if either of these could also be used as a webcam?

Thanks in advance.

Re: new camera help, please

They're about the same. Unless the camera features say you can use it as a webcam, then in most cases you can't.

Personally I might lean more towards the Sony camera simply because those small ones do take better night photos than any thin profile Kodak camera I've owned or used. The only real downside is Sony's support for SD cards is abysmal. The model you linked to doesn't seem to support SD cards at all so you're stuck with having to purchase a Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro which usually costs anywhere from 1.5x to 4x as much as a comparable SD card.

If the MS card isn't a big concern for you and/or night shots are super important, go for the Sony. Otherwise, stick with the Kodak one.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have helped tons of friends pick out new cameras, and have 3 sites I always check any time I am looking at cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/
      http://www.steves-digicams.com/
      http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/

For a lot of reviews they take shots with the camera to compare to others, and you can see differences. I look at those along with buyer reviews at sites like Amazon.com and Newegg.com. It is amazing the stuff you learn from people that have already bought something. Sometimes you will find out something about the camera you know would just annoy the hell out of you so you can eliminate it as an option right away.

The things I have learned you should consider is boot up time, time between shots, what kind of battery it uses, and what kind of memory card it takes. Nothing will annoy you more than a camera that takes 15-20 sec or more to boot up every time you turn it on. Trust me! I bought one a few years ago that took over 20 sec. from power button to being usable, and it sucked. And to top it off, the fastest it could take pics was about every 10 sec, and that was without flash and in the fastest settings. Most cameras now are much better about that, but still something to look for in reviews. Sucks to miss an awesome shot because of that, or to be trying to take group pics with friends and they are all having to pose for a long time because the camera is so slow between shots.

The battery is important to consider because it will dictate size and also what happens when you run out of power. Some come with small flat rechargeable batteries, others with like AA batteries you buy at the grocery store. My first camera had the small flat one, which meant the camera could be really small and flat too. My newer one uses AA. I have to say even with the added bulk, I like the AA better. The rechargeable ones of course loose power over time, and I used mine till I could only take about 10 pics before it died, and then went and bought a new one for $35. I had to do this about once every year and a half. Plus you have to carry the recharger with you on vacation and trips. Even then, if you take a lot of pics and it dies, your stuck. I like my AA one because no matter where it dies, you can usually find new batteries for cheap. I started buying the silver energizer lithium batteries that cost more, but I got well over 1000 (probably close to 2000) shots out of one set. That is mostly without flash, but still a ton of shots. And when I go backpacking, I can carry an extra set of batteries. With the other kind there are no outlets to recharge in the woods, so the camera turns into dead weight if it dies.

Finally, the memory card type can be important. It depends on if you already have some memory cards of one type, and also how much they cost. I would say by far SD cards are the most common, but there is also XD cards, and Sony has there own Memory Stick, and they are more expensive (as is most everything Sony). The nice thing about SD cards are they work in a lot of other gadgets, not just cameras. But if you already have some other Sony gadgets like a TV, it may be able to except Memory Stick for viewing your pics. You can get a high end 4 gig SD card for like $10-$15 these days, and that will let you hold a ton of pics and some video if you wanted to. Plan on buying at least a 2 gig SD card right away, because pretty much any camera you buy will come with something stupid like a 64mb SD card stock. Lots of times you can find deals like on Newegg where when you buy a camera, you get a big SD card for free in a combo deal.

And don't worry too much about the megapixel count. As long as it is like 7 or better it will be good enough for just about anything you could do except blowing your pictures up to murals or something. And never even look at the digital zoom. Ever. The only thing you should look at is the optical zoom, so is it like 3x, 6x, etc. Digital zoom is horrible, and you use it and get home to look at your pics and will not be happy.

That being said, I looked up the cameras you were considering on the review sites and found this:

Sony DSC-S750 Review
      Sony updates Cyber-Shot S series
      Looks like the Sony is a very old model, about 2 years old now, which is very old in Dig. Camera world.

Not much to see on those sites for the Kodak you linked.

How much are you looking to spend? And how important is the web cam thing. Would you consider just buying a $35 web cam if it meant you could get a much better camera?

I did a quick look on Gizmodo for you to see if they had any Gizexplains guides, which are easy to read, and did find this:

The Ultimate Cheap Camera Battlemodo

That is also from about a year ago, but those cameras are probably still around, and you might want to try and look at what good cameras from that review were updated with for this past year.

Also, some easy to read stuff here:
      Giz Explains: Digital Camera Image Sensors
      Giz Explains: An Illustrated Guide to Every Stupid Memory Card You Need
      Giz Explains: Why More Megapixels Isn't Always More Better

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

wow, thanks for the responses guys, lots of good info there.

how much am I looking to spend?: idk, not much. and really I think I got confused with that sony (multiple tabs open) because I didnt remember it costing that much.

webcam: total after thought. if I can find a good camera that could be used for that too, great. if not, thats fine too.

memory: I already have SD cards so that will be my preference, I didnt know about the sony thing.

well, I've got a lot to think about now... I'll continue looking around. Thanks again for the advice.
        Last edited by teratoma; 10-16-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

From a salesman point of view (and a Sony DSC W150 owner) I'd lean forward the Sony. They're great cameras for the value. If you are willing to spend some extra cash though, I'd really consider getting a W210 instead of the S750. But that is just me.

You'd get a slightly larger screen, better lens (Carl Zeiss), 1080 full HD photo output and some other extras such as smile shutter, higher ISO boost, a more robust case. But to me, just having a Carl Zeiss lense is a huge selling point.

If you really want an entry level point and shoot though, the S750 does a great job. They're solid cameras and great quality. But has Acreo mentioned, you can only use the MS Pro Duo memory card, that sells (as you'd expect) a few bucks more than its SD counter-part.

I wouldn't consider the Kodak at all. I sell it, and its cheap, non-robust and doesn't offer any interesting features.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

People seem happy with this one. And it looks like an inexpensive easy to use camera. Prolly keep looking for a while, but if nothing else blows me away this will be my choice.

camera

specifications

Comment

thanks again for all the input and great info, it really helped a lot.

Comment

One thing I would suggest is to wait for the deals around Black Friday and Christmas. Chances are you could get a better camera at the same price point you are looking at, and probably will see lots of deals that include like extra memory cards.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

hmm, thats a good point. thanks... again. :)

Comment

If you are still looking to buy, I would check out this deal
                    Canon Powershot SD1200 $130 shipped

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X