Any Blackberry users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Blackberry users?

I am in dire need of a new phone and have been looking at likely replacements. We are on Sprint and I currently have a Motorola i335 which is pretty blah.

[media]http://www.geekcellulars.com/wp-content/gallery/205/motorola-i335-phone.jpg[/media]

It's rubberized and durable, but it has the battery life of something that doesn't last very long on batteries. (think of running your PC on a 9v Duracell)
    As a field repair tech I'm on the road an awful lot and sometimes need internet access at a site with a broken computer. I also put my Creative Zen in the washing machine a few months ago so need a new mp3 player.

The Blackberry Curve 8330 looks like a really good deal.

[media]http://www.feelphones.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/blackberrycurve8330-sprintlg.jpg[/media]

I'm liking what the reviews say and I will hit up a Sprint store soon to touch&feel one on display. Anyone here have any comments?
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: Any Blackberry users?

It's a Blackberry. It's one of the variants of the more established models (it's not a Storm obviously). WiFi access is pretty good when you can find it and overall the 2nd most popular phone I've seen around (actually seeing more Blackberries recently on the L). Battery life should hover around 5-6 hours when you're not using a BT headset. Otherwise, closer to 4-5 hours. Standby time is days and days.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have a Sprint Blackberry 8330.
      It does not have Wi-Fi.

If you get it I'd recommend ditching the Blackberry broswer for Mini Opera.
      That really makes a big difference IMO.

Its a nice phone.
      Not an Iphone, Storm, or Pre, but nice for what it is.

|

Comment

I have the BB 8330 for work and I like it. For me not being a big "text" guy the keyboard made it really easy. I am much faster on that then a regular phone pad.
        I also like the screen size since I download videos and movies to it for short trips. You can plug in a 8 gig miniSD card into it for pretty cheap.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard others stating that the Opera Mini browser makes a big improvement. WiFi isn't really that big a deal, but everything else looks great to me.
          |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

I never really liked blackberry too much. Tiny little keys, slow browsing, good battery life, but severely limited capabilities and a pain in the ass to upgrade the onboard software. I would strongly recommend going with one of the newer smartphones, like an android phone or pre. For your purposes, you're going to get a LOT more functionality out of the phone, and a much better range of technical options (i.e. if you're fixing linux machines, there are actually programs for android that will allow you to execute commands on the phone and send them to a computer. I watched a video of some guy running a full ubuntu install on a pc from his G1). Plus, the way the pricing is on these phones, youre not going to be paying much more for the android/pre variety than you would for the blackberry (especially the 8300).

Comment

I am interested in Android - I'm a huge Google fanboy - but there is only one available on our Sprint upgrade plan and it's prohibitively expensive at $180.

And tbh I don't work on Linux machines; haven't in like 6 years :)
              |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

i have a blackberry curve and I like it a lot. The browsing isn't particularly slow for me, and there are a decent number of Applications that I use. And despite what Ferris said, the keys work well for writing.

Comment

The CURVE is a Very good phone...PHONE...that's it... But I am on the Verizon network and that's pretty solid. I would say the CURVE is a Better phone then the Iphone... but then with everything else taken into consideration the IPhone winds the battle.. Loud Speaker, keyboard works (even with big mitts like me) and the UI is fine..
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

i have no idea what you're talking about. I've used iphones and blackberries quite a bit. The curve absolutely is better for typing emails or anything lengthy in text. I prefer the iphone for surfing the web or for most applications, but definitely not for what I use it most: e-mail.

Comment

Having used previous generation Curve and recent.
                      I found that the previous & current gen. Curve was/is good for what it was/is.
                      A phone, an organiser, qwerty keyboard, and (secure) push email and a decent browser. There are other features in that phone but I never used them much.
                      Having been upgraded to Blackberry Bold, I have never looked back. Whether it be the new iPhone 3GS or others out there.
                      As I understand it;
                      BlackBerry Curve = midrange/consumer market phone
                      BlackBerry Bold = higherrange/business market phone

Having said that, I was abit jealous of the iPhones larger screen.

p.s. Via 3G connection, the default browser (Google)load time is less than 3 seconds.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X