interesting fresh install problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting fresh install problem

So been lurking here for a few months trying to get some ideas for decent build. I was originally going to go with an i7 build, but my needs for a PC got urgent before I could save up enough for an i7 build, so went for a more basic system for internet and such and going to build my gaming rig in the (hopefully) near future.

So my current specs are:

C2D E7400
    ECS P43 mobo
    2GB PC3-10600 DDR3
    Geforce 9600GT 512 mb GPU

The part I am having an issue with is my graphics card, so the 9600gt card i got has 2x dvi-d and 1 hdmi port instead of the s-video/hdtv input and no vga port. and i don't have standard monitor. I planned on hooking it up to my hdtv (toshiba regza 32hl67), through the hdmi port. problem is the way the card is setup, my hdtv cable (male end) is hitting the fastener screw for the dvi port, so I can't fit it in. So I picked up a DVI-HDMI cable, but when i hook it up (DVI on the GPU, HDMI on the tv) I am not getting a signal. I figure its a resolution issue. But I have no idea how to deal with it. As its currently a blank system so I can't change the resolution or anything.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me in getting my system running.

Re: interesting fresh install problem

Originally posted by tigabalm View Post
    I planned on hooking it up to my hdtv (toshiba regza 32hl67), through the hdmi port. problem is the way the card is setup, my hdtv cable (male end) is hitting the fastener screw for the dvi port, so I can't fit it in.
    HDMI cables have female ends on both sides. I don't understand how it could be hitting something.

So I picked up a DVI-HDMI cable, but when i hook it up (DVI on the GPU, HDMI on the tv) I am not getting a signal. I figure its a resolution issue.
    DVI and HDMI are the same cable with different ends. They are interchangeable.

I don't think it's the resolution, however to be sure use the DVI to VGA adapter to hook up a vga cable to the TV. Then inside the Nvidia control panel set the custom resolution. Or why don't you hook up the PC to your monitor first before hooking up the TV.

But I have no idea how to deal with it. As its currently a blank system so I can't change the resolution or anything.
    What do you mean by blank system? What OS are you using.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
      HDMI cables have female ends on both sides. I don't understand how it could be hitting something.
      Eh? HDMI cables by standard are male/male.

Tigabalm, I believe I understand what you're saying. You have something like this card, but instead of the VGA port you have a second DVI port. When you go to plug in your HDMI cable, it's hitting the standoff where the screw on the DVI cable would go into, correct?

If this is right, you've basically got two options. The first is to get an HDMI cable that has a slimmer casing on the connector. The second is to get yourself a pair of small or needlenose pliers and unscrew the standoff that is in the way. They do come off, with some work; just be careful not to bend your card or it's coverplate.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
        Eh? HDMI cables by standard are male/male.

Tigabalm, I believe I understand what you're saying. You have something like this card, but instead of the VGA port you have a second DVI port. When you go to plug in your HDMI cable, it's hitting the standoff where the screw on the DVI cable would go into, correct?

If this is right, you've basically got two options. The first is to get an HDMI cable that has a slimmer casing on the connector. The second is to get yourself a pair of small or needlenose pliers and unscrew the standoff that is in the way. They do come off, with some work; just be careful not to bend your card or it's coverplate.
        Agreed. I imagine Tigerbalm's HDMI cable's grip end is too wide in general. And Tarpan has it right, HDMI cables are male on both sides. I've never seen a female end connector for a HDMI cable. Plus it wouldn't make sense as the ports on devices like TVs have female HDMI connectors.

I do think the HDMI connectors are pretty vague/confusing when you're trying to figuring out the port/cable end's gender for the first time.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah tarpan and acreo are exactly right. and by blank system, I mean there isn't an OS installed yet, trying to install xp, but I can't get a signal to the HDTV to do the install.

So if I can plug an HDMI-HDMI cable from PC to HDTV, then that would solve the resolution issue and I should be able to get a signal on the screen?

I really appreciate the help guys!

Comment

What about just trying to install using a monitor.. Maybe without video drivers it may not produce an image..
            Since you dont have a monitor could you borrow one from a friend of something?
            |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Well, I ended up getting it figured out, I picked up a dvi-vga cable and did the install that way. Then I took tarpan's advice and took the standoff and plugged in the hdmi cable once I was able to control the resolution.

No I just need to figure out the best resolution settings, because the text is all fuzzy and way too pixelated.

Again appreciate all the help guys!

Comment

So if I can plug an HDMI-HDMI cable from PC to HDTV, then that would solve the resolution issue and I should be able to get a signal on the screen?
                Can't guarantee it (since there's other variables involved), but it's worth a shot. I'd also make sure that the HDTV has the correct source selected, and that your PC has enough power to run all components. Last time I put together a system, my PSU didn't have enough juice and I couldn't power up all the way (thus no video signal).
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X