Geolocation IP address?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geolocation IP address?

When I visit game monitor to check TG servers it shows be on the right hand side where the TG server is and my location, the scary thing is that the location given for me is practically showing my street address, not the whole address but close enough.
    So I am wondering is there a way to only let my IP address show what country I am in instead of showing country, county(state), city and neighbourhood?

I know I could go down the proxy server road, either using a server online or changing settings on my router but I am not comfortable with doing that, especially on my router.

Re: Geolocation IP address?

Why do you want to hide your location?

Your IP address is assigned from a block by your ISP, and the accuracy of geolocating your IP address means your ISP's blocks of addresses have fairly accurate location data associated with them.

Where I live, my IP address block must be fairly large and assigned to machines all over the region, as geolocation tells me I'm in a town about 15 miles away.

Whenever you use a proxy, you force your packets to take a detour to get to their destination. That might be ok for web and email access, but you don't want to do that with games that require realtime response. That's going to add extra hops and the proxy is likely to be slow as it's used by many other clients.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Are you logged into Game Monitor and is it possibly returning information you submitted? When I'm not logged in using Forefox I don't see a my location box.

Additionally, only someone playing from your location would be able to see the information you are seeing when a page displays 'your location'. It's like those signature images that return your IP, the person with the signature sees their own, no one else sees yours.

The IP address is necessary to send out to the internet so while it may give an approximate location it is not information that someone outside your ISP would be able to narrow down to you without social engineering or hacking into your computer.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I am not trying to totally hide my location, displaying the country I am from is fine, but all the rest should be on a need to know basis, I do not mind my ip address information being used by my credit card company to determine that I am who I say I am etc.

Additionally, only someone playing from your location would be able to see the information you are seeing when a page displays 'your location'. It's like those signature images that return your IP, the person with the signature sees their own, no one else sees yours.

The IP address is necessary to send out to the internet so while it may give an approximate location it is not information that someone outside your ISP would be able to narrow down to you without social engineering or hacking into your computer.
        Ok I see what you mean, thanks for that, that's all I was worried about.

Comment

Your credit card company won't use your IP address to verify your identity, IP addresses are most often temporarily assigned for private accounts and really are just a company specific pool that rotates around as needed. It's address of where each computer is so that when you do something over the internet the routers are told 'Computer A wants to talk to computer B, make sure to route the response between A and B'.

But yeah, no worries.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X