Hard Drive Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Help

Ok so last night I installed my secondary drive hoping to boost performance. I wanted to copy my data partition over to it and reassign the drive letter. Now Windows will not boot.

This was the setup before the copy:
    C: Main Windows
    D: Main Storage
    E: Main Linux
    F: Linux Swap

Blah: Unallocated secondary disc

Needless to say, all lettered drives where on the same drive.

This was what I told Acronis to do:

Copy partition D: to unallocated space on second drive and expand partition from 600 -> 700 Gb naming new partition H:. Rename partition D: to G:, then rename H: to D: effectively copying my storage partition to the new drive and invalidating the data on the main drive but retaining it in case of disc failure.

I tried to boot and got MBR failure. Booted recovery console and did a fixmbr. Now I get nothing. Just a blinking cursor after post. WTH!?

Now I'm pretty sure that if I did a repair install of Windows on C: it'll probably fix it but I don't want to do that with Win7 in the mail. Just seems like a waste.

Anyone have any idea how I can get this setup to boot the way I need it?

EDIT: Scratch all that. I'll have Win7 in my mailbox when I get home. I'll just boot a live disc and pull off the files I want and wipe it and install Win7.
    Last edited by Spyder228; 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: Hard Drive Help

Making sure I have the right order of steps you took:

1)Copy partition D: to unallocated space on second drive

Is that the drive H?

2) and expand partition from 600 -> 700 Gb naming new partition H:.

Did you expand the partition on the first disk, and if so did you bump into your windows partition?

3) Rename partition D: to G:, then rename H: to D: effectively copying my storage partition to the new drive and invalidating the data on the main drive but retaining it in case of disc failure.

So disk one now has:
    C: Main Windows
    D: Main Storage (now G: ) expanded another 100 GB?
    E: Main Linux
    F: Linux Swap
    Disk two:
    H: (now D: )

Now I'm pretty sure that if I did a repair install of Windows on C: it'll probably fix it but I don't want to do that with Win7 in the mail. Just seems like a waste.

I think you are correct to assume that installing a fresh copy of 7 and then retrieving your files from your old drive is the best option at this point.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The unallocated space on the second drive was first formatted as drive H:. The partition should have been expanded AFTER copying but before changing the drive letter. Original partition D: on the first drive should not have been alter except for changing it's drive letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
        The unallocated space on the second drive was first formatted as drive H:. The partition should have been expanded AFTER copying but before changing the drive letter. Original partition D: on the first drive should not have been alter except for changing it's drive letter.
        I think you are making your partition scheme unnecessarily complex as the drive letter doesn't matter except for your Windows and Program files which it looks like should all be on C:

If you didn't alter C: I don't know why you would have run into the MBR problem unless it was in the unallocated space that you expanded the partition into.

I'm so confused, I really don't have any further input.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Basically I wanted to move my D: partition (which housed all program files) to the separate drive but couldn't accomplish that without changing drive letters. It would have done me no good to just clone the D: to the new drive as Windows would still look for things on the D: partition on the same drive as windows.

I have no idea what went wrong but Win7 should solve my woes. Trading a night of ArmA for installing an OS and all my games again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X