Official TG Black Friday Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official TG Black Friday Thread

Can you believe it is that time of year again? That's right, its the time where the more nutty (or broke) of the US population will go out in the dark of night to wait in line in hopes of picking up toys at crazy low prices.

And with that tradition comes the early leaks of story specials, and this year it has already started................

First out of the gate:
    It's That Time of Year: OfficeMax Is the First Black Friday Ad to Leak

I have never gone out before, but have gotten some really good deals online at 6:00am. Anyone out there plan to freeze your ass off this year, or have any good stories of years past to share? Also, if you see other leaks or deals be sure to post and I will try and update this first post.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Official TG Black Friday Thread

Last year, Best Buy had a camera that my brother really wanted. They had a black friday special dropping the price from like 600 bucks to like 250 or some ridiculous amount. So my brother convinced me to go wait in line with him. We got there at 3:30 in the morning. There were already 50 people in line in front of us. (I brought my laptop and G1, which I tethered so I could sit there and watch tv all night) Best buy was handing out "tickets" to people, basically allowing them to buy only one black friday item per ticket, but everyone got one, so the huge group of kids who just showed up to browse the dvds all got one. Soon enough, people started scalping them. I was seeing people buying these "tickets" for upwards of 500 bucks apiece.

But heres the good part: the store was only letting like 50 people in at a time so the lines for the registers didnt get ridiculously long. Bad idea. Being close to the front, me and my brother got in on the second wave...2 hours after the store opened. Supposedly, by the time the 150-200th people were let in, it was 9 am (store opened at 5:30) and the cops had to be called to prevent a full scale riot. From just that bestbuy, 29 people were hospitalized from getting in fights, including one of the best buy employees trying to keep people out after some guy threw hot coffee in his face and then decked him.

Epic fail. Thats why I hate black friday.

Comment

I bought all my deals online last year. Even from Best Buy. Can't beat a Samsung 32in LCD TV for $600.

I will NEVER go out on Black Friday. Oh yeah, from some one who used to work there - don't go to the movies on Black Friday. You're just asking for a crappy experience.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I haven't ever joined in a Black Friday shopping trip due to stories like the above and my aversion to shopping in general keeping me from getting excited about sitting in front of a store. Two years ago my wife had three items pulled out of her hands by people and one lady cursed at her for getting the last of an item, and she saw several people pushed to the ground. I'd clock someone for that so I think I'll just stay away. It is another example of how people are smart individually but get them together and they become stupid.

I have however gotten a few items at 25% of list price through online 'Black Friday' Specials. No pushing and shoving there!

My only crazy shopper story:
        I did happen upon a Best Buy in Kansas City on a Saturday morning last year where there were a few people in line to get a Wii Fit since that was delivery day for the week. Since we didn't feel like driving all the way home and it was 15 minutes until the store opened and it was 3 weeks after the game was first released so it was in high demand and supply had not yet caught up. In that 15 minutes the line grew to about 50 people, all of which were getting very antsy and someone got yelled at for 'cutting in line' when they came and offered us 100 bucks to buy a Wii Fit for them. We declined and said that we were just there to buy some headphones, which was the truth.

When the store opened it was like a mild version of crazy shopping, we got our items while people ran to the back of the store and the Best Buy employees were telling people to stick to the line they were in when they got there, people were bickering and claiming they were in line first etc. It was like seeing 50 3 year olds pick from 15 toys...
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

They should have jogged them around the store and the last 15 standing would get the exercise toy. :p
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Just posted on Gizmodo.com

Sears Black Friday Ad Leaks: Boatloads of Cheap HDTVs

Anyone else salivating at the thought of "Boatloads of Cheap HDTVs"?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The Kmart ad just posted, though nothing to get me out of the bed in the cold.

There are a few sort of interesting things, like the cheap kids night vision googles I have posted about here before on sale for $40. There is also a netbook with 7" screen for $119 from a company I have never heard of.

Link here:
              http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/km...friday-ad.html

If you want to see the actual scanned ad, click on the "Ad Scan" tab

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Any word on e-tailers like Newegg and ZipZoomFly? Those and some others are the ones that will have the deals I want.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I worked at Circuit City last black friday, It was crazy. I'd never been out in one before and was quite shocked at how crazy people were. Some of the black friday deals are about the same as regulars sales though, for any company(at least in the computers section). I used to watch the prices of competitors regularly so i would know how our prices compared. But, there are a few deals which are really good. they always tended to be on accessories though. While some of the computer sales were good on BF, many of them tend to be on lower end PCs so they are good for basic users (internet/email/word).

I found that BF tends to have a ton of regular sale pricing going on at the same time, with a few really good sales mixed in.
                  Viking

Comment

Looks like the Staples add just leaked:

Staples Black Friday Ad Leaks, Some Decent Deals to Be Had

I'm not seeing anything I need that is worth waking up for.
                    I was interested in the Nikon D3000 at $499, till I checked Amazon.com just now and they have it for $515 with free shipping. I would rather sleep late and not stand in line than save $15. They do have a decent basic HP laptop for $299.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Couple more. Nothing mind blowing but some good laptop deals:

Dell's Black Friday Ad Leaks A Few Good Laptop Deals

Office Depo's Black Friday Ad: Grab an Acer Netbook for $200

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

This just posted and is the one I have been waiting for
                        Best Buy Black Friday Ad Leaks

Some good deals. I only skimmed it quickly so far, but the Samsung 46" LED is a pretty good deal at $1600. It is the 6000 model, which is kind of the lowest version, but still a killer TV.

Few good PC games dirt cheap as well.

When you click on the link to the black friday website at the link above, click on the "Ad Scan" tab if you want to see the actual ad. I know I personally shop better looking through the ad then trying to read the list.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I stay clear away from the stores if I can on Black Friday. It's better to sit at home clicking away and seeing my life savings drain as I buy this and that. Rather than risking my life in the jungle that is the shopping mall. ;)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here are a couple more Gizmodo articles just posted:

Black Friday Deals: The Only List You Need

NewEgg Black Friday Deals Leak

I'm thinking that is just a few of the Newegg deals.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've gone out on BF for the past few years. I don't have any stories as bas as Ferris or Snoogum's wife though.

My first BF I went with my mom to Bestbuy. After getting our items we got in the checkout line. At this point (about 20 minutes after the store opened) the line was wrapped around the entire store so we were in line for about an hour. During this time my mom either lost or her wallet was stolen from her coat pocket. She reported it to the manager and asked if he could have the cashiers look out for someone using her credit cards or at least check the ID's of the people using credit cards. The manager flat out refused to do either. We were able to get our stuff and get home in time to cancel the cards though so no real harm was done.

The next year I wen't back to the same best buy to buy a 50" DLP tv. This year they seperated the checkout lanes by department so you just went to whatever department had your biggest items and they had employees run and grab your other items. The wait time wasn't nearly as bad as the year before but still wasn't quick. My buddies and I finally got to the checkout lane, had everything rung up and when I went to pay the cashier asked for my ID. I had forgotten it in the car as I don't take my wallet in with me. I was kind of upset that they wouldn't let me buy it because of what the manager had said the year before but I understood. They gave me a receipt that the cashier said would let me back into the store once I had my ID. So we ran to the car to get it, when trying to get back in the security gaurds damn near tackled us and told us we had to wait in line again. There were about 400 people still waiting outside the store to get in so we just left. I never went back to that BB again after that.

I have gone to another BB on BF since then and I've wittnessed what Ferris mentioned about the scalping of the tickets. Last year the manager was having employees watch for this and kicking people out of line if they tried it. I guess it's up to the managers/employees if they want to let it go or not. He told us corporate refused to acknowledge that it was happening.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X