New Build - Feedback needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build - Feedback needed

It's been 4+ years since my last build, so I'm long overdue (at least that's what I tell my wife). I want your constructive criticism of these components:

CPU - i5 750 vs. i7 860. Is it worth $80 for hyperthreading?

Cooler - Corsair H50 (already purchased)

Mobo - Asus P7P55D LGA or Gigabyte GA-P55-UDP4 or MSI P55-GD65

RAM - 4GB vs 8GB - and if 8GB, will two 4GB sets work or do I need an 8GB set?

Case - Antec 900, although I can't stop drooling over the Corsair 800D. It's $280, but look at that cable management!

PSU - Was going to go PCP&C 750W, but it is discontinued at Newegg, so Corsair 650HX

HDD - an SSD when the new models come out and prices drop, but a ~500GB HDD until then - it will serve as storage from then on out. Recommendations?

DVD/BD - Recommendations?

I'm recycling the video card, sound card, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: New Build - Feedback needed

Originally posted by Melee View Post
    It's been 4+ years since my last build, so I'm long overdue (at least that's what I tell my wife). I want your constructive criticism of these components:

I went with the i7 860.

I went with the Asus P7P55D deluxe.

I went with 8GB because I can always use more memory.

Case - Antec 900, although I can't stop drooling over the Corsair 800D. It's $280, but look at that cable management!

PSU - Was going to go PCP&C 750W, but it is discontinued at Newegg, so Corsair 650HX

HDD - an SSD when the new models come out and prices drop, but a ~500GB HDD until then - it will serve as storage from then on out. Recommendations?

I went with a full tower case. I haven't used one yet but I believe I will like it. Oh mine is on its way from NewEgg.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post

CPU- did you mean the i7 750 and the i7 860? you put the i5 750 compared to the i7. and yes hyperthreading is very much worth it.

Mobo- Gigabyte GA-P55-UDP4 or Asus P7P55D LGA. I like the Gigabyte mobo better because it supports SLI and Crossfire, in case you wanted to go with Nvidia or ATI.

Ram- go with 4gb, 8gb doesn't help almost slows down? because it has to go through so many sticks, it takes longer than it just going through 4gb.

Case- Look at this full tower (the front is similar to the one you posted) and it's only $70 with rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811517004

PSU- I like it. It's also good it's modular.

HDD- no suggestions

DVD/BD- I'm looking for a good one myself. hahaha
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I dont know about the new procs, but with the P4's Hyperthreading was a waste. I did not notice any real speed boosts with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
          I dont know about the new procs, but with the P4's Hyperthreading was a waste. I did not notice any real speed boosts with it.
          yeah, i'm not relaly up-to-date with them either, i've just heard tid bits here and there that it's pretty good. i'll look it up on google and tell you the results
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

ok, hyperthreading hurts gaming (makes it worse, laggish) but helps when running multiple normal programs (not games). with the i7 i believe you can turn hyperthreading on and off.
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Come on now Melee, I remember you saying this, regarding a solid state drive.

I'm definitely including one of these in my new system this fall. So many goodies coming out at once, I hope my credit card can keep up.

Comment

Can't say anything bad about it. If you're building primarily for gaming, go with the i5. If you're encoding video or rendering or anything like that, get the i7. 4GB of RAM should be more than sufficient for the time being.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                  Come on now Melee, I remember you saying this, regarding a solid state drive.

"I'm definitely including one of these in my new system this fall. So many goodies coming out at once, I hope my credit card can keep up."
                  :row__581: You got me. And I am. Probably the OCZ Agility 60GB. Or the Intel X25-M G2 80GB. Although I just noticed the Intel appears to be out of stock, so I'll save the $98 and go with the OCZ.
                  |TG|Melee

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                    CPU- did you mean the i7 750 and the i7 860? you put the i5 750 compared to the i7. and yes hyperthreading is very much worth it.
                    Yeah, I meant i5 750. They don't make an i7 7xx.

Mobo- Gigabyte GA-P55-UDP4 or Asus P7P55D LGA. I like the Gigabyte mobo better because it supports SLI and Crossfire, in case you wanted to go with Nvidia or ATI.
                    Good point. Although I'm unlikely to do either as it's hard enough to pay for one nearly top of the line card.

Case- Look at this full tower (the front is similar to the one you posted) and it's only $70 with rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811517004
                    Actually, I've had the Antec sitting here for nearly a year waiting for this build. I got it for ~$50 AR last December.

Thanks for the feedback!
                    |TG|Melee

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                      Can't say anything bad about it. If you're building primarily for gaming, go with the i5. If you're encoding video or rendering or anything like that, get the i7. 4GB of RAM should be more than sufficient for the time being.
                      Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. I'll save the money now - I can always upgrade the CPU and RAM later.

Anyone have preferences on RAM brands? I've used OCZ and I know Corsair is good stuff, but the OC'ers seem to like G.Skill a lot.
                      |TG|Melee

Comment

Ok. I would base my build on i7 920 (available at Microcenter for $200) otherwise your built is rock solid.

HDD - Either WD or Samsung, make sure these drives do not have more than two platters. I own four of these. SO far so good.

All you have to do is buy two drives, use Intel Matrix Raid, create Raid 0 (100Gb partition) +1 (550Gb) with 32kb stripe. By doing so you will tremendously lower the access time of your drives (comparable to Velociraptors) therefore your sytem will feel more snappy, applications will open in an isntant and on top of that load times will be super fast. If you are a complete "noob" (-; here is the best guide on the internet.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=565177
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319

RAM - you do not need 8GB, 32bit system will not utilize more than 3.33GB unless you are using 64bit system then you can turn page file off.

To sum it up, without fast HDD/Raid setup/SSD your computer will feel like ....
                        "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X