Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Activation

Here is the scenario:

My wife's netbook (ASUS 904HA) got so infected it would boot, but the desktop wouldn't come up. So I installed a few different Linux OS on it (Eeebuntu, EasyPeasy, Ubuntu Netbook Remix), but she didn't like them.

So I 'acquired' a copy of XP to put back on it (since it didn't come with a disc). I installed XP with no problems and everything is working perfectly. Now the problem is I have 30days to activate it, but when I tried to using the online option I got denied. It asked for the product key again so I typed in the one on the bottom of the netbook, but again denied.

Is there a way to activate it or should I just call the phone # and explain the situation?

Thanks!

Re: XP Activation

The problem that you're running into is that the product identifiers dont match. Chances are that the netbook came with an OEM copy of XP. Whenever you try to activate windows, microsoft reads two things: the product identifier and the product key. If those two things dont match up, then microsoft is going to deny it.

The only thing you *might* be able to do legally is to contact the manufacturer and see if they can provide you with a restore disc of some type. Otherwise, the only thing you'd really be able to do, again legally, would be to go purchase a whole new copy of xp.

Comment

Doesn't the netbook have a restore partition?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        The problem that you're running into is that the product identifiers dont match. Chances are that the netbook came with an OEM copy of XP. Whenever you try to activate windows, microsoft reads two things: the product identifier and the product key. If those two things dont match up, then microsoft is going to deny it.
        I disagree, call Microsoft and tell them that you need to reactivate. If you used the product key on the bottom of the laptop to reinstall you will most likely be automatically approved no matter what disc you used to actually load the software because a reinstall of an OEM windows requires a phone call instead of online approval. If they ask let them know what happened (the too infected part) and that you had tried to install Linux but was not satisfied so you are trying to re-install Windows.

If you used a different key (silly you) then let them know that you accidentally used the wrong one and would hate to reinstall. I'm guessing they won't even get into that kind of detail and will simply approve you when you call and say you want to reinstall.

*This is based on finding out I mixed up the keys while reinstalling a couple of OEM computers that were side by side and had the keys attached with stickers. They didn't even ask additional questions when I said I was just reinstalling.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
          Doesn't the netbook have a restore partition?
          It should and it should be activated when you press the correct hotkey (check the ASUS quick guide or manual) to initiate a restore. HOWEVER, if he reformatted the entire disk, that partition is long gone.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I did.

I called the phone # and the automated 'person' denied me too :(

So I installed Win7 instead. She says it's working perfectly so far.... And I didn't have to activate it. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
              I did.

I called the phone # and the automated 'person' denied me too :(

So I installed Win7 instead. She says it's working perfectly so far.... And I didn't have to activate it. Hmmm.
              They can't deny you for reinstalling with the key from the bottom of the netbook (if that is the one it came with) because the key is there for you to reinstall...

Hope 7 works out for you, maybe you can set it up to avoid the same slow death :)
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                They can't deny you for reinstalling with the key from the bottom of the netbook
                They can and they do.

Most OEM installs are pre-activated. So if you install another 'acquired' OS, you need the proper product key. And for what it's worth, Windows 7 does not bother you for activation after install :)

Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System and see what that tells you...

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                  They can and they do.

Most OEM installs are pre-activated. So if you install another 'acquired' OS, you need the proper product key. And for what it's worth, Windows 7 does not bother you for activation after install :)

Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System and see what that tells you...

DB
                  Right, but from your link:
                  However, if a licensed end user needs to activate because the OEM pre-activation does not work as expected (e.g., after the replacement of a defective motherboard) they can do so via phone-based activation.
                  If he reinstalled with the same key then his activation would have been approved. I can only think he installed with a completely different version of Windows and couldn't use the key for that version for it not to work.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Well, I had this same problem. I did a new computer build and just used my key from my old dell computer, however it wouldnt accept the key (think because my key was original XP, disk i had was SP2.)

The key wouldn't be accepted either online or auto person on the phone.

Eventually over the phone with the automatic system, I got to a real person. I think the automatic system eventually gave up and gave me the option to speak to a real person. If that doesnt work, try pressing '0' and that some times gives you a operator

I do know that there is a method to get a real person who will activate it for you over the phone, you just need to play around with it a bit though.

Comment

Oh yeah, I glazed over the quote he had on 'person'. I spoke to a real person when I reactivated, but I don't remember what I had to hit to get to one.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

ok... with xp, you have to use an oem version of the os to use the keycode found on the bottom of your netbook. if you acquired a retail version, it will not activate - no matter what you do. what you did is not illegal. You just got an incorrect disc for your COA.

I have an all-in-one xp sp2 disc that I dl'ed. It has every version of xp, and is just a convenient way to have reinstall media on hand for any computer. I usually install the os, install drivers and hotfixes, activate, make a macrium image, install programs, make an iso image of the version they need, then burn the disc. they are 100% legal at that point. the media that they get has the EULA.txt, and the COA and keycode are already on the computer - which are the three parts needed for a legit copy of xp.

vista and 7... have no oem / retail version differences.

if you have anyone who owns a dell, get their xp disk and install it. it will work fine (though you will get a "provided by dell" IE and manufacturer info on the start menu / computer properties) and your keycode will activate online - instantly. just make sure all your drivers are installed before you activate, or you might trip the counter and have to re-reactivate.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

oem version is the key. just DL it from somewhere. you will prolly have to call in, if you do just keep trying. you will eventually get a real person and they will make it work. I have installed/reinstalled XP on many computers and about 1/3 of the time i had to call in.
                          Viking

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X