This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 - The Mega Sticky

I figured that as many seperate threads as we have had here in the forum, with as many good links, it would be a lot better to round everything up and put it in one place. It is looking like Windows 7 is a pretty good OS, convincing even XP fans to upgrade.

This is where you can turn to learn the ins and outs and how to get it running it's best so your games will too.

If you find any more links, please post them and I will update this first post.

First up, the reviews

They are everywhere, so maybe just check out a few:

Windows 7 Review: You Can Quit Complaining Now -Gizmodo
    Windows 7 Review, Part 2: The Best Features and Tips

Windows 7 Performance Guide -This one is really good and really suggested reading- from Anandtech.com so you know it's good

Windows 7: Tested in depth -Cnet

Windows 7 review -Engadget

Windows 7 Review - From the WinSuperSite- Really good 12 page review

Windows 7 Review: XP vs Vista vs 7 in 80+ Benchmarks - Maximum PC

Windows 7 Games Compatibility Testing - They install a ton of games both new and old to see what works.

If that wasn't enough, here is a roundup of 27 reviews :row__644:
    27 Takes on Windows 7

Ok, So Win7 is good, but what version is for me and how do I get it

All that I have read says that about 95%+ of users only need Home Premium, but in case you want to check out what Pro and Ultimate offers:

All the Flavors of Windows 7 Explained -Gizmodo explains it in easy terms

Which Windows 7 is right for you?

Windows 7 Upgrade Guide: All Your Questions Answered

Windows 7 Edition comparison chart

Windows 7 only $30 for Students -Our TG thread

If you are not a student, you will have to decide if you want to go with the full retail disk, the upgrade disk, or the OEM. Basically, the full retail is the most expensive, but comes with tech support and can transfer to other computers. The OEM is probably cheapest (as low as $99), but has no official MS Tech Support. Ummmm......what are we, chop liver? TG has some really smart guys that are happy to help with tech problems, and if we don't know we can point you in a direction to find out. Part of why TG is so AWESOME! Personally, I have never once been helped by MS tech support, and I have called them plenty till I learned google works better :icon_cool.

Finally, the last option is the Upgrade disk, which is cheaper than retail, but you are supposed to have a previous version of Windows installed. The thing about that is you should always do a clean install rather than an upgrade. And if you ever change to a new HD, like a super fast new SSD drive, are you going to want to install like XP, then Win7? Latest news is there are work arounds so you can do a clean install, but MS might not be as happy about it as they were with Vista, so they may fix the loophole this time around. You should still know about the story though:

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Save $80 on your Windows 7 purchase - the Upgrade does full installs, too -Short version

Also, there is a "Family Pack" of Win7 that comes with 3 copies, making it easier to upgrade a bunch of computers. I just checked Newegg and it says the item is deactivated, but I'm sure they are still out there, which leads to:

Confirmed: Windows 7 Family Pack Disc is Identical to Upgrade Media

And then finally you have to decide either 64 bit or 32 bit. I say WITH OUT A DOUBT GET 64. I have been using 64 for over 2 years with no problems, and so have a bunch of other TG guys. Unless your PC's CPU is not able to run 64 (like it is 5+ years old), then you should go 64. You will want it for sure on your next new computer, so just start now. Search the forums if you want more threads on this, but also can read here

The Pros and Cons of 64-bit Windows 7

I bought it, now how do I install it the right way?
    Here are some good guides. If you want everything to be as easy as possible, you should really read these, maybe even take notes for later :row__631:

Prep Your PC for Windows 7

Give Windows a Clean Start - How To Reinstall Your OS the Right Way Bookmark this!! It even explains how to take care of Steam, Itunes, etc. so nothing is lost.

No apps left behind: A backup checklist before reinstalling

How-To: Install Windows 7 and live to tell about it Explains everything, no matter what OS you are coming from

If you did go with the upgrade disk this is for you:
    How To: Use Your Windows 7 Upgrade Disk On a Fresh PC -Maximum PC

Now to get your rig running tip top and ready to fight

Take one of these links a day and go through to get the most of your PC

Lifehacker's Complete Guide to Windows 7

Windows 7: The Complete Guide
    - Gizmodo looks at a lot of the features

The Best Windows Tweaks that Still Work in Windows 7

25 Most Popular Windows Tips: The Best Explained and Worst Debunked

29 Essential Windows Tips for XP, Vista, and Win7 Users

Top 10 Windows 7 Booster Apps

Windows 7 avalanche: Roundup of hacks, tips, downloads, and more!

Top applications to install after a fresh OS installation

Now for the sweet extra links

The Master List of New Windows 7 Shortcuts

Windows 7 Tip: The Windows Key Is Actually Useful Now, With Tons of Hotkey Shortcuts

Windows 7 Feature Focus: Windows Media Center -Our TG thread. With the new Media Center I can't wait to get Win7 hooked up to my TV

Windows Live Movie Maker Leaves Beta, Ready for Download -Our TG thread. Looks like they actually made Movie Maker decent to use

How to Work with Windows XP Mode -I'm sure we will be hearing more about XP mode as people really start to play with it, but here is a good thread to get started.

7stacks lets you pin multiple folders to your Windows 7 taskbar - A LOT of people are really going to like this once they use it a bit. But that link is just a warmup to a mega thread I will be doing soon ;)

Also see 7stacks Does OS X Stacks in Windows 7 Style while on the subject.

Access and Customize Windows 7's Extended Context Menu

Windows 7 and Vista Dual Boot in 10 minutes -Just in case you really want to keep Vista . Here is another good one How to dual-boot Windows 7 BETA on a Vista computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/ - A great Windows 7 forum if you really must cheat on TG :P

Neowin Forums Windows Support - Another great help forum

Windows 7 Feature Focus - MaximumPC goes through and looks at Win7 features in depth in separate articles, like "Recovery Environment", "Home Group", etc. Tons of good info on specific topics in Win7

Windows 7 - Part 1: Introducing Vista's Successor -Hexus.net does a 7 part review looking at separate bits of Vista. That link is to part 1, but the others are easy to find.

TR's Windows 7 system guide Recommendations for building the right enthusiast's PCs -One of the first hardware buyers guide I have seen. Some I agree, some not, but a decent guide.

Anyway, my fingers are a bit cramping up now, but at least I got rid of a ton of bookmarks :D

Remember, if you see any good links post them and I will try to add them in.

Enjoy!

And to end things on a funny note:

Last edited by Bamboo; 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 - The Mega Sticky

Great post Bamboo, lots of useful information.
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Great info Bamboo.. Thanks!
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

awesome post

Comment

I could see a continuation on that "Joy of Tech" comic when...

Linux: "Hey! Don't forget about me guys!"..."Guys?"..."Where'd they go?"
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ok I'm sure I totally missed it and I'll feel like an idiot when somebody points it out to me but for those of you who are doing the student upgrade and you need to make an ISO image for a clean install go here for instructions to convert the windows setup files to ISO.
            http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new..._windows_7_dvd

Additionally, if you are running a 32-bit OS currently as I am (32-bit XP) and you chose a 64-bit upgrade option via the student download you will need a downloadable ISO. The Windows 7 upgrade downloader WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU! You will probably get this message
            We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded...
            In which case you should go here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-a4992cec5a9d

At least this is my understanding of my own situation...

Comment

The student upgrade of Win 7 has been fixed after having some big issues at launch
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                The student upgrade of Win 7 has been fixed after having some big issues at launch
                How did you get it to work? I just downloaded it yesterday and it didn't work for me.

Comment

Question: (Sorry I didn't read all the gak, answer is prob in there...somewhere...)
                  Here goes.
                  I have Win 7 Ult RC. (upgraded from Vista Ult) 64 bit.
                  I want to load Win 7 Home edition.
                  Can I upgrade? Or do I need to do a full install?
                  The IT guy at BestBuy said I need the full edition and do a clean install.
                  Also, I heard there was a way of doing a full install with the upgrade version. I'd like to save $90....

Thanx in advance.
                  Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
                  Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
                  Nvidia GTX 285
                  Creative Xfi pro gamer
                  8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Comment

Originally posted by WarProphet View Post
                    Question: (Sorry I didn't read all the gak, answer is prob in there...somewhere...)
                    Here goes.
                    I have Win 7 Ult RC. (upgraded from Vista Ult) 64 bit.
                    I want to load Win 7 Home edition.
                    Can I upgrade? Or do I need to do a full install?
                    The IT guy at BestBuy said I need the full edition and do a clean install.
                    Also, I heard there was a way of doing a full install with the upgrade version. I'd like to save $90....

Thanx in advance.
                    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how..._disk_fresh_pc

Comment

I glossed over the above links..But anything on how to SAVE YOUR STEAM games... Mine are installed on another (non os drive) so it won't get wiped... Will Steam just reinstall and then detect the old folder?

Hmm..is this correct?:
                      "No you wont lose your games, i would rename your steam folder steam2 ect reinstall steam then copy all your games over from steam2 in to steam, then go to my games and install the games it will look in the folder notice they are there and make your games available, i dont trust the game backup made a few in the past and they wouldnt work and had to downloa the games again."
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                        I glossed over the above links..But anything on how to SAVE YOUR STEAM games... Mine are installed on another (non os drive) so it won't get wiped... Will Steam just reinstall and then detect the old folder?

Hmm..is this correct?:
                        "No you wont lose your games, i would rename your steam folder steam2 ect reinstall steam then copy all your games over from steam2 in to steam, then go to my games and install the games it will look in the folder notice they are there and make your games available, i dont trust the game backup made a few in the past and they wouldnt work and had to downloa the games again."
                        If the entirety of Steam is on another drive then you could probably just get away with recreating your shortcuts, no? If it's a game you bought through steam then it is stored in the steamapps folder so everything should be right there.

Comment

"....must spread...."

Thanks Boo
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

@WarProphet
                            I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the RC. I feel like I saw a couple of articles about it, but the reason I didn't bookmark/post them is because you should always just do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. Always. It just isn't worth the possibility of some future bug when it would be just as quick to just back up your important stuff (you need to do that occasionally anyway, and this would be a good chance to), and then install Home Pre. And just get the $99 or what ever OEM from newegg.

As far as steam goes, once you buy a game, it's yours. I think if you wanted to you could delete your games, or loose them say in a fire. When you build your new rig, install Steam, it will show all the games you bought grayed out at the bottom. You click on them and choose to redownload and install. Least that is what I have done with like Halflife 2. I have reinstalled a few times and never had to put the Half-life 2 disk back in.

I also agree with kevlarorc. I would think that since it is on a sep. drive, that doesn't change. You could probably just find the main steam shortcut and like drag it to your desktop after the reinstall. Then when you open steam it should all be there.

But, just for more info, the link above to the "how to install the right way" from MaximumPC talks about Steam and Itunes and other stuff.
                            Link:
                            Give Windows a Clean Start - How To Reinstall Your OS the Right Way

It is down near the bottom of the 1st page.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just posted an hour ago on Gizmodo.com

Windows 7 Guides: The Best Of

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X