• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ASUS motherboard with USB3 and SATA 6 Gbps

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/a...-6gbps-mother/

http://www.google.com/search?q=ASUS+P7P55D-E

From the press release:

ASUS today announced a range of enhanced motherboard solutions that deliver true USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s data throughput performance. The ASUS Xtreme Design P7P55D-E Series motherboard has onboard support while the ASUS Xtreme Design P7P55D Series utilizes the ASUS U3S6 PCIe x4 expansion card to deliver the latest USB and SATA data transfer capabilities. Equipped with the Intel® P55 Express chipset, the P7P55D-E / P7P55D Series supports the latest LGA 1156 socket for Intel® Core™ i7/Core™ i5 Processors. Additionally, they also feature exclusive Hybrid Technology—Hybrid Processor, Hybrid Phase, and Hybrid OS—to give users intelligent performance enhancement, active cooling, and rapid online access.

Faster than Ever—True USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s Performance with Bridge Chip
    ASUS’ unique expansion bridge* design fully unleashes USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s transfer rates for both the P7P55D-E Series and the U3S6 expansion card. This specially-designed onboard IC doubles the bandwidth of the PCIe interface from Gen 1 to Gen 2, delivering ten times faster USB 3.0 throughput compared to the previous USB 2.0 standard. Additionally, by eliminating transmission bottlenecks, the expansion bridge increases hard disk read and write speeds by up to 50%**. Transferring a 20GB HD movie now takes less than 70 seconds, while a 4MB song requires less than 0.01sec. Similarly, by inserting the ASUS U3S6 PCIe x4 expansion card into P7P55D Series motherboards, users can achieve the same rapid throughput with the latest USB 3.0 devices and SATA hard disks.

Hybrid Features for Optimized Performance, Dynamic Cooling, and Rapid Online Access
    The ASUS P7P55D-E/P7P55D Series includes new Xtreme Design innovations—Hybrid Processors, Hybrid Phase Technology and Hybrid OS for optimized performance and enhanced stability. Hybrid Processors enable intuitive, real-time overclocking and automatic performance tuning for users to gain the processing power and speeds associated with a higher-end CPU. For enhanced stability, the P7P55D-E and P7P55D Series include the world’s leading Hybrid Phase power feature, which combines multi-phase power delivery with real-time phase balancing to improve cooling of active components. Users can also rapidly access online applications such as Skype, Instant Messaging, and over 1,000 Flash-based games with Express Gate. Additionally, with Windows® 7 drivers included, users can conveniently start using Windows® 7 and experience its benefits.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: New ASUS motherboard with USB3 and SATA 6 Gbps

Scratch, I'm confused about this because ASUS already announced a similar board I think 2 times, and then pulled the board and announced it wasn't going to release it.

I'm crossing my fingers, but it might be too good to be true. USB 3.0 looks really good and I would love to have a backup drive and media drive connected with it to my PC.

All the tech sites have reported that stuff is leaking out of motherboard companies and gadget makers that Intel is dragging it's feet on USB 3.0, and that is why there isn't' the title wave of products you would expect there to already have been. It is supposed to be due to Intel just showing off a new type of connection call I think Light Peak which they are going to want to really push. It does look really good and fast. Up to 10GB/sec BIDIRECTIONAL at start, and scaling up to 100GB/sec later.

Here are some really good demo videos

Video 1:
    Video: Intel Light Peak - IDF 2009

Video 2:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPx1dEIPnA[/media]

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Great.. So now I'm really confused about when to build the new PC...

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Light Peak:

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

The biggest obstacle to optical technology has been the mechanical steps needed to mate the fiber to the chips and connectors. Just before the dotcom bust, I was working on some automation technology for doing just that. That boom saw the first fast rise of the optical industry, and it really took it in the shorts when the bust hit. The semi industry is used to cycles but the fiber industry had never before seen a downturn and has been slow recovering.

Light Peak is really not new stuff, except in that it's trying to bring high speed optical technology to the consumer market.

Much is being made about being able to run multiple protocols over the same cable, but that's been done with Ethernet and IP networking since the 70's. Almost every other cable technology has tried to emulate that objective, seeing how successful it was with IP, so trying to tout that as innovative sounds pretty silly.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/10/3...Yet?art_pos=14
          http://hothardware.com/News/USB-30-a...mance-Preview/

When connected to a USB 3.0 port, the external hard drive was about 5 — 6x faster versus connecting over USB 2.0, with total throughput in excess of 130MB/sec.

Comment

Just posted on Engadget:

USB 3.0 and SATA 6G put to good use: benchmarks

It is what I figured. Nothing out there can use the SATA 6G's potential. Current Raptor and SSD can't max out 3G, so 6G is not that great. But the USB 3.0 is a good step up.

Even better is how cheap an add in card is.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

More on that cheap $30 PCI USB3 card

Asus Continues USB 3.0 Onslaught With a Cheap PCI-E Card

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm on the fence about USB 3.0 at the moment. It will be a standard in a few years, just as 2 ursurped 1.1, but for me its going to be about SSD technology. Hard drives specifically. I currently use SATA for all of my HD to HD needs, both SATA and ESATA. USB external drives, while lightning fast by todays simple consumer standards, still has a small latency caused by the daughterboard that converts the USB to "Insert HD interface technology here" whether it be EIDE, Fibre, or USB.

I know, I am being picky over something that is a technicality and most likely only noticed in the math and not in the real observation, but for this one aspect, that is how I am.

I must say, its nice to hear about the 30 PCI-E cards =)

Semper TG

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Interesting new article where they take an Intel SSD and hook it up a bunch of different ways to see the speed, including USB 3.0. (spoiler: its really fast)

Early look at USB 3.0 X25-M SSD performance versus USB 2.0, eSATA and more

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

NewEgg has it posted...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&Tpk=P7P55D-E

Comment

For internal devices, why not skip USB/Firewire/SATA and take a PCIe bus right into the drive controller? PCIe x1 is a high-speed serial bus already.

Comment

I looked at the benchmarks and I don't see how USB3 can be faster than the native speed of the drive's SATA2 interface. Does this just mean that the drive's interface is faster than the motherboard's SATA2 interface, with the USB3 proxy board and motherboard interface coming in the middle? Or is there a flaw in the write measurement that's failing to wait for the write to complete and measuring the USB3 buffer, instead?

Comment

This looks like a good way to upgrade all of our older boards if we need the new speeds:
                          ASUS Shipping “U3S6″ USB 3.0, 6Gbps SATA PCIe Adapter Next Week

Only $30!
                          But then again, I don't think anyone here has a USB 3 device yet and I know no one has a 6gbps SATA drive.
                          Might come in handy over the next few months though.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Video to show why you should want USB 3.0:

Thermaltake demonstrates USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0 with BlacX caddy

That BlackX caddie is pretty cool. I was really considering getting one a while back when I was playing with a ton of extra drives. Saw that BestBuy even started stocking it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X