DirectX11 Released For Windows Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX11 Released For Windows Vista

This is weird news because I just read on I think Tom's Hardware site a couple of days ago that MS wasn't going to release DX11 for Vista untill much later, like Service Pack 3 possibly.

But today Anandtech posted :
    DirectX11 Released For Windows Vista

The update is KB971512, which is being released as part of a larger Platform Update for Vista that includes a few other things that are being backported for Vista. Vista SP2 is the prerequisite, so if you aren’t already on SP2 you’ll need to update.

All of these updates should be available on Windows Update.
    Really though, it probably isn't worth installing right away since I don't think any of us have a DX11 card yet (only ATI has them out, and they are very limited in quantity, nor are their really any games to use it with ). I'm going to give it a few days and see what other folks are saying about the update to make sure everything is working right, then might give it a go.

I will say I'm already tired of all the commenter on sites like Engadget that see the comparison shots between DX10 and DX11 and then talk smack about it being a waste because you can barely see a difference. The point of DX11 is more about performance than eye candy (though there is some of that). The stuff it allows devs to do means they can put in the same amount of eye candy in top end games now, but your computer will have less stress and run at higher FPS.

For instance, check out this Tech Video from the new DX11 Dirt 2.
    DiRT 2 DirectX 11 Tech Video HD

That is in HD and downloads really fast.

If you can't download it, I found the tiny streaming version, but it really just doesn't do it justice.
    Streaming
    DiRT 2 trailer races to show off DirectX 11 features

Also check out:
    Why DirectX 11 will save the video card industry and why you don't care

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: DirectX11 Released For Windows Vista

The lighting in last part of the Dirt video was amazing.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

the link to the MS website just incase

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-210ee147ce15
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Cool, now they just need to package TRIM for Vista and I'll be good to go.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I don't believe that Vista will get TRIM
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
            I don't believe that Vista will get TRIM
            Vista doesn't get any TRIM? Sucks to be Vista because I would die without TRIM.

What about Win7. Any TRIM for Win7?
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yes and that was the aside to my comment.

I had made a decision not to upgrade but the release of TRIM for Win7 is making me rethink my position. I'm still hoping for more capacity and speed from SSD as the original PCI card I saw was a 640gb monster and it never made sense that they have remained as small as they are as long as they have. Of course, that original card was almost $20,000 and even a SATA connection can't deliver what the PCI bus can.

I can't use the eVGA Precision frame counter with this driver but then I may not have been able to use it before, I just learned about the feature last night.
              Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X