5870 or wait for Nvidia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5870 or wait for Nvidia?

Alright so I'm torn. I've got a 9800GT right now which is about in need of an upgrade.

I don't know if I should buy a 5870 now, or wait for the supposed earth shattering Fermi from Nvidia, which after much research isn't going to come out till at least Q1 2010.

I haven't owned an ATi card since my old X800XL. Are the drivers still crap?

What do you guys think?
    5870 now!
    44.44%
    Wait for Fermi
    55.56%

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: 5870 or wait for Nvidia?

The next generation is named after Fermi? Huhmph. I wonder why...

Depends on what your current rig is like. If you have older hardware, you could wait until nV's next gen and then build a new system. Or if you have a newer system now and can't play much of anything on it due to weak graphics, go for the 4870 (or the 5870 if it's cheaper). Though performance wise, the HD4870 isn't that far apart from the 5870 and in many cases even beat the 5870.

Drivers are stable now from what I hear around. Though the last ATi card I used was a 9600XT.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Another thing is no one has the 5870 in stock. I'm building a new rig and waiting for my card which is on back order.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you Spyder, but I'm going to wait. Also, the big daddy 5970, is right around the corner in Nov.

HD 5970 spotted in the wild

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          The next generation is named after Fermi? Huhmph. I wonder why...

Depends on what your current rig is like. If you have older hardware, you could wait until nV's next gen and then build a new system. Or if you have a newer system now and can't play much of anything on it due to weak graphics, go for the 4870 (or the 5870 if it's cheaper). Though performance wise, the HD4870 isn't that far apart from the 5870 and in many cases even beat the 5870.

Drivers are stable now from what I hear around. Though the last ATi card I used was a 9600XT.
          I think you're thinking about the 5770. The 5870 absolutely blows the 4870 away. It is pretty much on par with the dual GPU GTX 295.

As far as the OP is concerned, things aren't looking great from Nvidia right now (the only times I can remember a GPU launch being this weird were when Nvidia released the GeForce FX series and when ATI released the R600) but it wouldn't hurt to wait until at least the new year. By that time, even if Nvidia hasn't launched, demand should be tapering off for the ATI parts, drivers should be more mature and perhaps the prices might start to slip a little bit.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
            I think you're thinking about the 5770. The 5870 absolutely blows the 4870 away. It is pretty much on par with the dual GPU GTX 295.

As far as the OP is concerned, things aren't looking great from Nvidia right now (the only times I can remember a GPU launch being this weird were when Nvidia released the GeForce FX series and when ATI released the R600) but it wouldn't hurt to wait until at least the new year. By that time, even if Nvidia hasn't launched, demand should be tapering off for the ATI parts, drivers should be more mature and perhaps the prices might start to slip a little bit.
            Well I'm thinking about a early benchmark that Bamboo linked to in one of his 5870 threads. From what I saw, the HD4870 was neck-to-neck with the HD5870 in quite a few games at the higher resolutions (1600 x 1080 and beyond).

Perhaps it's no longer true due to newer drivers, but since I really don't keep up with the new cars much nowadays, you probably know better than I do it's current performance.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No, the drivers are not crap anymore.

Comment

Definitely wait until nvidia shows its offerings and for the price wars to commence. The cards aren't really worth it right now since they will drop once nvidia comes out with theirs.
                Just look at what happened with the 48xx and 2xx series.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Fudzilla and some other site just posted that ATI was raising prices on the new cards. They are in high demand and are in short supply, so they can do it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The 5870 is too long for my setup, so i'm gonna go with the 5850. Just waiting for thermalright to finish their after market cooler i need for it. You can use it on the 5870 too.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...t-rad2gtx.html

Comment

Superfast brings up a very good point. Regardless of if you are going Nvidia, personally I would wait for the cards with aftermarket coolers hit the streets before I would buy. I convinced some TG folks to wait for the same thing after the 4870 and 4850 came out, and it paid off. For instance the HIS cards with ICE coolers run more than 10 degrees cooler, and cost the same. Ten degrees is a pretty big deal considering how hot these things get, and how loud they can be when they kick into 100% fan speed.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        Are the drivers still crap?
                        I have never had any issues with ATI drivers, I always uninstall the old drivers and delete the "ATI" folder on the C: drive before installing the new ones.

I also do the same for Nvidia drivers.

Some might say you can install over the old drivers, and it works for some, but I just do not trust it.

Comment

New review for the 5850, and it is a big one
                          "Hidden Threat": ATI Radeon HD 5850 Graphics Card Review

It says that it is so good it is a major threat to the more expensive 5870

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hrm, I have an 8800 GTS and have been wanting to upgrade for a while. I don't really play games that demand it at the moment, but I know I will next year for sure. at first I thought about grabbing a 4890, but the HD 5850 looks tasty. Yout guys think it will drop in price Q1 next year, or would grabbing it around christmas be a good idea (especially if I could find a deal)?

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                              Hrm, I have an 8800 GTS and have been wanting to upgrade for a while. I don't really play games that demand it at the moment, but I know I will next year for sure. at first I thought about grabbing a 4890, but the HD 5850 looks tasty. Yout guys think it will drop in price Q1 next year, or would grabbing it around christmas be a good idea (especially if I could find a deal)?
                              It really depends on whether or not Nvidia pulls through with Fermi and makes a part that performs well and can compete with ATI in terms of price. The more I read, the less I am convinced that the pricing part, at least, will pan out. It is still probably worth waiting to see what happens and to let ATI's drivers mature a bit if you do end up going that route.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X