Trouble running source engin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble running source engin

OK so I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1 gig of ram, and a radeon x1800 (driver updated catalyst 9.8)

I tried running half-life 2 just to get a critical failure after the load out to get in game. I updated my video card driver after my first try and it didn't work. (followed the step of installation on ati web site)

I hope this is the right place to post this.

edit: forget to say I run xp pro 32 bit

Re: Trouble running source engin

it's POSSIBLE, I think, that it might have trouble running because AMD didn't put SSE2 instructions in thier processors until 2 years after your processor was made, while Intel had SSE2 since 2001, which would greatly speed up FPU operations and such.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Nope, Source games ran just fine on AXP processors. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling HL2?
      sigpic

Comment

Harry,

Try reinstalling. Also if you are running any mods, you may need to download and install "Source SDK Base" or "Source SDK" under the Tools tab in Steam. Some of the mods require libraries included in those two SDKs in order to function.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As Buckets has said you may need to re-install the game seeing as you installed new drivers for the card, it may be because the drivers are slightly buggy or that the game needs the install process to recognise the new drivers for the card.

Comment

Well I installed the game today to test if the source engine worked... I had problem like that in the past for bf 2142 where close to all the driver didn't work except for the one EA use to test the game...

The driver where installed before I installed HL 2. Still gonna try the reintallation but I don't think it's gonna do any good. Gonna repost if this doesn't work.

Comment

If it does not work, uninstall the game and reinstall the old drivers, then install the game, if after that the game loads and you can play it, then it may be an issue with the new drivers.

Also try uninstalling the old graphics card drivers before reinstalling, I know they say you can install over the current drivers, but uninstalling and reverting back to the basic windows drivers and then restarting the PC and installing from the file you downloaded instead of following windows hardware setup is the best way to go.

Comment

The driver was the source of the problem. I reverted back to an older version and it looks like it works just fine now.

thx guys.

Comment

Originally posted by HellHarry View Post
                  The driver was the source of the problem. I reverted back to an older version and it looks like it works just fine now.

thx guys.
                  Great. Good to hear you found a solution. :)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X