Memory Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Help!

With BF2 coming out, I am wanting to make acouple upgrades to my system...

Most of all, i am wanting to get more memory...Right now i am running:
    512MB PC2700 @333MHz (2X256MB)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sp?EdpNo=38813

I am wanting to get:
    1024MB PC4000 @500MHz (2X512MB)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...007081&CatId=0

Or even go as far as:
    2048MB PC4400 @550MHz (2X1024MB)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1070753

My board can hold up to 4gig so i am not worried about size...i am just wanting to know what is the best buy so i dont just waste money.

Thanx,
    -Monkz
    Allen: Yeah, you're right.
    Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Re: Memory Help!

Well, I posted this earlier:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...128#post269128

That's a damn good price.

Comment

Where is the company...and is Corsair worth spending money on?
      Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

The type (i.e. pc2700) of memory you get is very important. Right now your motherboard supports up to a certain speed. Any memory faster than that will be underclocked to run at that speed. So for example if your mobo supports up to 333MHz and you get some PC3200 memory, the memory will only run at 333MHz.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get faster memory. If you plan to upgrade your motherboard in the near (I stress near) future, then get the faster memory. I say near future because the longer you wait, the faster memory becomes and the newer boards support that faster memory.

How many memory slots do you have? If you currently are running 2x256 PC2700 and have one or two more open slots, I would suggest just getting the same brand / speed memory you have now and adding it to the extra slots.

I guess I need more info...

What mobo do you have now? and do you plan to upgrade it within the next year?
        How many memory slots and what speed does your mobo support?
        Is the memory you have now the kingston as in the link?
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MONKERZ
          Yes and no. Depends on what you plan to do in terms of overclocking, etc. Corsair also has "value" memory to compete with mainstream. I personally have the Corsair XMS because I overclock.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

www.newegg.com

I don't overclock, so there isn't much difference for me one way or the other between Corsair Value or XMS. Corsair is a good brand overall. For me, it's more about extending the last bit of life out of my meager chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
              Well, I posted this earlier:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...128#post269128

That's a damn good price.

That is a good price. I just ordered some of that memory for Luna and I so we're all set for BF2.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                That is a good price. I just ordered some of that memory for Luna and I so we're all set for BF2.
                I have some misgivings about the game, though.

If they require 1gb of RAM, they can't be making all that efficient use of the video card memory. It's not like there is some massive AI in there, or that the networking is going to be that big of an memory hog. Pretty pictures and textures requiring an upgrade? This game better make BFDC look like a cartoon.

Upgrading anyway, since you can never have enough RAM one way or the other. I wasn't going to buy a game this paycheck, so I can splurge a little and upgrade now.

Comment

If they require 1gb of RAM, they can't be making all that efficient use of the video card memory.
                  It doesn't require 1 GB, but it does help.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                    It doesn't require 1 GB, but it does help.
                    BF2 Requirements:
                    http://www.totalbf2.com/game/requirements/

Oh and i just checked the specs on my board....i cant run...500MHz

I am Running an Intel board that can run up to 4GB @ 400MHz, Dual Channel Four Slots.....two are full!

Thanx for the replys

Monkz

Comment

If you don't like the pricings on Corsair you can always check out Kingston, their Hyper X series is comparable to Corsair's XMS and they also have a value set. BTW, I have 512mb memory from my mobo and 256 from video card, is this equivalent to having 768 megs or RAM on mobo when I'm using video card, or should I invest in another 512 megs?

Comment

BF2 Requirements:
                        http://www.totalbf2.com/game/requirements/

Oh and i just checked the specs on my board....i cant run...500MHz

I am Running an Intel board that can run up to 4GB @ 400MHz, Dual Channel Four Slots.....two are full!

Thanx for the replys

Monkz
                        Ohh, I might be out of the BF sweepstakes at that rate as well. That a recommended requriement, or a minimum?

Comment

Ohh, I might be out of the BF sweepstakes at that rate as well. That a recommended requriement, or a minimum?
                          It should show both!

Comment

Originally posted by Uchiha Obito
                            If you don't like the pricings on Corsair you can always check out Kingston, their Hyper X series is comparable to Corsair's XMS and they also have a value set. BTW, I have 512mb memory from my mobo and 256 from video card, is this equivalent to having 768 megs or RAM on mobo when I'm using video card, or should I invest in another 512 megs?
                            I remember something about 128MB GPU will be able to run it low/med res, 256 will get you to high res, but the recommended RAM was 1gb regardless.

I don't think that 512mb ram+256mb on the GPU=768ram as far as the game is concerned. It's going to read the system configuration, and say, umm 512mb Ram, eh, then try to balance the GPU resolution with the amount of available RAM and the CPU clock.

So with your 512/256, it will probably look as bad as my 1gb/128.

So buy, buy,buy! (Excuse my rampant capitalism).

Comment

BF2 minimum = 512 Mb
                              BF2 recommended = 1 Gb

Since you have two open slots, the cheapest route is to add two more 256 Mb or one more 512 Mb. You shouldn't have to replace what you have.

However, if you plan to upgrade the mobo anytime soon, buy memory that will fit into that board.
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...