HDD - OEM or Retail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD - OEM or Retail?

For my last build (four years ago) I purchased OEM drives, but in researching my new build I see lots of customer feedback regarding the poor packaging of OEM drives by the vendors (Newegg and Amazon) and the resulting damage during shipment by UPS/FedEx.

So, should I get a retail version? I see Best Buy has the Caviar Black 1TB for just $5 more than Amazon has the bare drive. I could also get it shipped for free - I assume the retail packaging should protect the drive sufficiently for shipping. (rereading this it seems to be a no-brainer)

Also, if anyone has arguments in favor of another drive over this one, I'm all ears.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: HDD - OEM or Retail?

All you are missing is the packaging as far as I am aware. I've always had lots of bubble wrap and no drive issues from newegg going back to 2002 but I haven't ordered one in the last year or so. I'll still order from them for a new drive when I have the need again.

If you are concerned about the risk and the $5 is worth it to you get the retail one.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

same here, I've always gotten a drive wrap in a fair amount of bubble wrap and in a box with plenty of foam peanuts. I also haven't had a problem out of the drives either.

Comment

I agree with mach and snooggs....OEM is fine.

|

Comment

I just bought a hd drive for my laptop this weekend. I sadly spent more than I needed to, because of time constraints. I bought it at Best Buy for $120, then found an OEM hd at a small local store for $10 less. So I bought the OEM one, and still need to return the other to Best Buy. (Would've been $40 cheaper at Newegg tho) I double checked the model numbers, and they are identical. Seemed to be packaged just as well, but without the pretty cover. Works like a champ.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Every single drive I've ever used was OEM. Never had one fail yet.

Just wish they'd make some freaking OEM SSD's.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Just Got an OEM Drive on the 12th of October for my B-day

Worked flawlessly.

Got it from Newegg too.
              And when he get to heaven,
              To Saint Peter he will tell;
              One more soldier reporting sir
              I've serve my time in hell

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin385 View Post
                Just Got an OEM Drive on the 12th of October for my B-day

Worked flawlessly.

Got it from Newegg too.
                I guess I should have said mine come from newegg also.

Comment

I've never received a damaged or broken OEM HDD ever from NewEgg. A lot those customer complaints are usually because they break it themselves by dropping it or trashing the shipping box (or whatnot) and then lay the blame on "poor packaging", when that is not the case.
                  Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-03-2009, 01:11 AM.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Damonte purchased two 500GB drives and four 1.5TB drives earlier this year for his home server.

All OEM. No issues.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

they suspend the drives in the middle of the box with plastic sleeves... best protection possible.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

The last HDD purchase I made was for 4 640gb WD drives. They still had the bulk Styrofoam and then wrapped in bubble wrap. I also pay for FedEx shipping. OEM FTY, I'll take the discount plus I have enough cables to build three of four new rigs.

(Somewhere it was quoted that UPS has a disclaimer that all packages are subject to a 6 foot drop)
                        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X