What makes a SSD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a SSD?

Since I'm holding out for the new Nvidia cards next year I'm in the SSD market instead.

But what makes a good SSD drive?

I know the obvious read/write speed, but I've also read things about certain controllers the drives use that cause stutter, and something called TRIM. What should I be looking for?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good drive under $200? Has to be at least 60 Gb. I'd love to have an SLC drive but I'm not made of money so MLC is the way to go.
    Last edited by Spyder228; 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM. Reason: So I don't sound like a moron.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: What makes a SSD?

Here's some good reading from Anandtech. There should be links, or you can search, to the previous articles, but I think this is sufficient.

I was fortunate to get a 60GB OCZ Agility for $152 after $30 rebate not long ago, but they recently raised the price. The best price I found on the 80BG Intel X25-M G2 is $250, but it went to back order before I bought it. It's just as well, stepping down 20GB saved me $98.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Just saw this Kingston 64GB for $114 after $30 MIR. However, I don't believe it is up to par with the Intel and Indilinx (OCZ and SuperTalent) drives.
      |TG|Melee
      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

That ssd from kingston does not support Trim nor will there be any flash updates for it. Make sure you get an ssd that has cache and supports Trim. I am not enough of a geek to explain why it needs it, so do some research. Ocz Vertex, Intel and Patriot Torqx all have these, but none for under $200.

Comment

Yes, after reading the above article TRIM will make all the difference. Off to google shopping!

EDIT: Thinking about buying THIS one....
          Last edited by Spyder228; 11-06-2009, 10:16 AM.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X