Laptop help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop help

Alright tech-heads, its troubleshooting time.
    I have in my posession a HP pavillion dv6000 laptop. As of 15 minutes ago, it ran like a champ. About 15 minutes ago, it froze. No bluescreen, no error messages, nothing. Screen completely turned off, CPU light came on and stayed solid, power light was still on and the charging light was flashing intermittently, as usual. I got no response from any keyboard commands, so I waited. 15 minutes went by with 0 response. So I force-powered down with the on/off button. Now, upon attempting to power it back up, the charge indicator light flashes three times and nothing else happens.

Thinking this might be related to the battery or the adapter, I have tried powering in all possible permutations. Plugged in with battery. Plugged in without battery. Unplugged with battery. Nothing, same result each time. I googled the crap out of this problem and cant find anything, so I'm turning to you guys for an assist here. Any ideas?

Re: Laptop help

Hmm, weird, running the laptop on AC without the battery should have fixed it. Usually in this case, the battery is at fault.

First off, is the laptop still under warranty? You might want to consider sending it in for a repair and/or RMA. What follows are possible trouble areas and it could get a lot more messy.

Was the laptop overheating or really hot/warm before it froze?

If so, let it cool back down to room temp before you try starting the machine back up.

The current regulator/conduit board (whatever the hell it's called) component(s) could have fried or some other component on your mobo could have fried. In which case, you'd be best advised to send it in for repairs.

From a few Google searches, the dv6000 was recalled a while back for some faulty motherboard issues. A slew of other people have reported similar problems and most of them had to have their laptop's serviced by HP. A few have found that their batteries were dead and no longer holding a charge. Others had fried their CPU due to excessive overheating.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had the same problem on my laptop. Try to remove all RAMs from it 'n put one back (smaller one ie 1 GB is better) and then start the laptop. If it starts then shut it down properly and put the remaining RAM in.
      I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me. I guess you can give it a shot before sending it to HP for repair. Good Luck...

My active Battlefield 2142 id : headqd1

Remember " The strong one doesn't always win, but the one who wins is strong"... The Emperor, 4 7 16

Comment

turns out it was the mobo. thankfully, its not my only computer, so i just RMA'd it after calling HP and finding out about the recall. good lookin out acreo!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          turns out it was the mobo. thankfully, its not my only computer, so i just RMA'd it after calling HP and finding out about the recall. good lookin out acreo!
          Not a problem. One of my dad's co-workers' had me take a look at his old Dell Latitude lappy and his had a similar problem.

Hopefully you didn't lose any important data on that HP. You probably won't be able to recover it when the machine gets back to you as they usually will wipe the HDD with a clean Windows install.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X