Choosing a External HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a External HDD

I realized this evening that I have no backups on my system. Quite frankly, this scared the crap out of me. I'm looking to buy a external HDD, most likely the Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB.

After I buy this, do I need to format it if I just want to save files to it for safe keeping? This hard drive factors greatly into a possible move around X-Mas to a new graphics card, (possible) SDD, and Windows 7. In this case, I would need a place to save my files and steam games to make my transfer painless.

Now, if I were to backup Steam games from Vista onto my external HDD, would I have issues just transferring them to a Windows 7 Steam?

Re: Choosing a External HDD

You don't have to reformat it. However, most WD external HDDs come with a small software package on the drive itself that is the WD syncing software that you can install to your PC to help you manage your file backups.

Most of us just wipe it clean and reformat it to NTFS and then just drag-and-drop files to our content.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      You don't have to reformat it. However, most WD external HDDs come with a small software package on the drive itself that is the WD syncing software that you can install to your PC to help you manage your file backups.

Most of us just wipe it clean and reformat it to NTFS and then just drag-and-drop files to our content.
      Sounds like just what I am looking for. I can replace essentially everything but my music and school work.

Now, for Steam specifically, does anyone know how the backup option works exactly? I might not want to redownload everything. Would copying for example, the maps from CSS be drag and drop?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
        Sounds like just what I am looking for. I can replace essentially everything but my music and school work.

Now, for Steam specifically, does anyone know how the backup option works exactly? I might not want to redownload everything. Would copying for example, the maps from CSS be drag and drop?
        The backup games feature in Steam only backs up your game files. Any mods or maps or anything else extra isn't saved to the backup file(s).

Again, most of us just drag-and-drop our whole Steam folder onto our backup drives. Much faster than waiting for Steam to create separate backup files and then waste more time backing up the map downloads and mod files. Once you reinstall on a new PC, just drag-and-drop the Steam folder back into the correct directory and run Steam.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          The backup games feature in Steam only backs up your game files. Any mods or maps or anything else extra isn't saved to the backup file(s).

Again, most of us just drag-and-drop our whole Steam folder onto our backup drives. Much faster than waiting for Steam to create separate backup files and then waste more time backing up the map downloads and mod files. Once you reinstall on a new PC, just drag-and-drop the Steam folder back into the correct directory and run Steam.
          That will be fine with a new OS also?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
            That will be fine with a new OS also?
            Assuming it's Windows: yes.

For example: you go from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7.

After you install 7, just make sure you dump your Steam folder into "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files" as it's a 32-bit application.

Run Steam and if need be, it should auto-update any files and resync as well.

I've done it going from XP x86 to Vista x64 and from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sounds ideal. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I prefer buying the the hdd and enclosure separately. If you have a problem with the Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB you can't open it without voiding the warranty. You'll have to send it back to WD and lose all your data. There are allot of good reasons to buy both separately.

I have two similar enclosures and two 1.5TB seagate 7200.11 If you don't like this one there are plenty to choose from.
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817709026
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148433

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I own a WD MyBook 500gb and love it. No problems, even the bright blue light isn't a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                    I prefer buying the the hdd and enclosure separately. If you have a problem with the Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB you can't open it without voiding the warranty. You'll have to send it back to WD and lose all your data. There are allot of good reasons to buy both separately.

I have two similar enclosures and two 1.5TB seagate 7200.11 If you don't like this one there are plenty to choose from.
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817709026
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148433
                    Another good option for Beat to explore. Though, I haven't had problems in the year and some since I bought my WD MyBook.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I grabbed the My Book from the local Micro Center and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the advice and I feel MUCH better know that I know I have a backup of everything I need.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X