Acer laptop, 15", at Best Buy for $250

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer laptop, 15", at Best Buy for $250

Just passing this along in case anyone needs a quick cheap laptop with a full size screen (not a netbook). It's nothing fancy, and won't play games, but at $250 might make a nice Christmas gift for a kid or the parents. I'm thinking I might pick one up for my computer-less mom..........:icon_cool

Best Buy: Acer laptop with Intel Celeron processor, 15.4-inch screen, 2GB memory, a 160GB hard drive, and Windows 7 Premium $249 STARTS WED 11/11

Cnet talks about it here:
    Intel Celeron chip anchors $249 Acer Windows 7 laptop

The sale starts tomorrow, and they will probably go pretty fast.

As a side note, not sure if they will be for sale online, but turns out Paypal has a promo with $20 off an order of $100 or more if you use Paypal to pay.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Acer laptop, 15", at Best Buy for $250

That's a pretty good deal, except for the fact that the $320 on BestBuy online still blows this one out of the water as far as graphics and CPU power are concerned.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The slickdeals thread above is page after page with lots of people saying the same thing Acreo. I'm on the side of if all you need it for is surfing, watching youtube, email, and word processing, you don't need GPU and CPU power. You need as cheap as possible. And it doesn't get any cheaper than $230 for a fullsize laptop with pretty good specs.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        The slickdeals thread above is page after page with lots of people saying the same thing Acreo. I'm on the side of if all you need it for is surfing, watching youtube, email, and word processing, you don't need GPU and CPU power. You need as cheap as possible. And it doesn't get any cheaper than $230 for a fullsize laptop with pretty good specs.
        Oh wait, I stand corrected. The $320 lappy is only more powerful in the graphics department. Thanks for pointing out the specs were below the first post.

It's the newer Celeron 900 which is a rebadged Pentium 4 (2nd Gen). Basically it's similar to the old Prescott core P4s with 1 MB of L2 cache and a 2.0+ GHz effective clock speed, without all the excessive heat generation.

So in all, the celly-based Acer should even be able to do 720p HD video off of the hard drive (definitely can't do it streaming though).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nice deal. Passed on the girlfriend's mom who just so happens to be looking for a laptop.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The celeron 900 name seems to have been used a number of times during different generations of cpus.

The one used in this laptop is almost certainly based on the 45nm penryn mobile series, meaning its performance should be somewhat better than the TF-20(really hard to find info on this chip, seems to be a low power low performance Athlon64mobile, similar to the athlonNEO) AMD chip in the other machine when compared at the same clock speed. Given that it is set at 2.2 vs 1.6, a somewhat significant advantage should be present.

Unless you want the much better graphics the intel one seems better and cheaper.

There are other differences in other specs(different RAM amounts, screen aspect ratios, etc.) as well, check these links to compare:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...readid=1654066 <-- Intel one, scroll down a bit

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+A...-553&cp=1&lp=1 <--AMD, click on specs tab
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X