moving to new pc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving to new pc

I'm building a new rig and want to move my apps and data to the new rig. The old is Vista64 and the new is Win7. Any advice on how to do this?
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: moving to new pc

External hard drive. The easiest and probably best way to move that much data without any logon hassles.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

if you have a router just hook up both pcs and transfer away, you may need to twiddle with your network/file sharing settings etc, but it is how I transferred all my files from old to new pc and it worked like a charm.
      I am not sure if Apps transfer well, you may need to re-install most of them on a new system.

Comment

You didn't mention if you're reusing your Vista drive to install Win7. If you are, move the data to some other place and copy it back. If not, physically install the Vista drive to the new rig and do whatever you want. For apps, you probably have to reinstall most of them. Steam is good about just running it and figuring out itself on whatever system you're running on. Other apps might need a reinstall for the correct registry entries.

On your new rig, keep the data separate from the OS. If it's one drive, partition it so data is on a separate partition. If you ever need to reinstall, you keep your data. If you move to a new rig, you bring the drive over so you can copy data.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What I find easiest is just buy an additional hard drive(s) and keep your files/media/data on that drive. And when you do get around to installing Win 7, I would suggest cloning the drive so you have that as a backup in case you ever want to start fresh. That would save you time instead of manually reinstalling Windows.

Also check out Ninite when you get to installing your apps. That might help speed up things a bit. I have not tried that yet, but it looks pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
            What I find easiest is just buy an additional hard drive(s) and keep your files/media/data on that drive. And when you do get around to installing Win 7, I would suggest cloning the drive so you have that as a backup in case you ever want to start fresh. That would save you time instead of manually reinstalling Windows.

Also check out Ninite when you get to installing your apps. That might help speed up things a bit. I have not tried that yet, but it looks pretty good.
            That looks pretty good. I'm going to look into that one.

Thanks guys for all the tips. It sure is nice to have a community to help with me with my tasks.:icon_cool
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

Make sure you backup all relevant information as well. Go through your current setup and take notes/backup of information on special setups, serial numbers or unstandard applications etc you are using so you are sure you can reinstall them on Win 7 once you get there.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X