Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newegg vs. amazon

so

i'm on holiday shopping spree (for myself mostly :row__523:)

anyways, i've made my shopping carts with amaszon and newegg

but newegg is more than 100$ more expensive than amazon and even charge shipping on top of that!
    have they been so successful all of a sudden that they dont need the cheapest prices anymore?

amazon:

By creepinshadow at 2009-11-15

By creepinshadow at 2009-11-15

just compare at give me your thoughts:

Life's too short to live it fast.

Re: newegg vs. amazon

I've gotten some stuff on amazon also. Newegg has been disappointing me here lately, not to mention I live in TN now and get charged sales tax on newegg

Comment

I used to buy stuff from newegg until I moved to California. Now I have to pay state sales tax if I buy anything from them.

I have a sibling who work for Amazon so I get a few benefits and discounts -- e.g. Amazon Prime -- thru him. And I haven't had to pay sales tax on any of my purchases from them.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I tend to use Amazon for general buying (books, games, etc.) and I use Newegg for hardware only. I love the Amazon universal wish list, it really helps to keep all my stuff in one place.

By the way, that's a nice headset! I use one myself.

Comment

Strange.. Newegg is second to none in my book.. Shipping is phenomenal..
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Yeah, living in CA takes away some some of the benefit of Newegg. I shop everywhere and go with who ever is cheapest after tax and shipping.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I've noticed Newegg's prices creeping up ever sine they filed for their IPO. Sad, really, because I've been using them for years. I'm afraid it won't be the same company once the MBAs start worrying about the shareholders.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't know why you don't just buy the cheaper items at one and the rest at the other.

That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. I'd buy COD4:MW2 at NewEgg ($52.99 + free s/h) and the rest at Amazon.

Ultimately, you can't compare Amazon to Newegg. Amazon itself is a middleman business that sells on behalf of other sellers. Newegg only sells what it has and doesn't act as a middleman for anyone else. NewEgg's specialty is still mainly PC components, accessories, and OSes. Amazon has practically everything plus the cleaning lady and the sewerage system.

Lastly, I absolutely hate finding parts on Amazon. You can't go through the categories and down to individual part types like NewEgg can. Unless you have a specific part in mind, you'd spend longer browsing on Amazon than you would on NewEgg.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I typically only buy from amazon when it is amazon selling the item. I don't particularly like buying from the other companies on the site unless amazon is fulfilling the order.

I do use newegg to research the products, but also check amazon for a better price now.

Comment

Newegg is way easier to find and read reviews of products. They have kinda slide downhill the last couple years. They used to be my one stop shop, but now due to their pricing and shipping going way up I'm finding myself shop around.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I would actually buy things at where ever they are cheapest.
                      For instance, I know a lot of places like Walmart (where I never shop) had some really good deals like a free $10-$20 gift card if you bought the game.

The best thing about newegg is their combo deals and customer service. I have always been happy with any little problem I've had when ordering with newegg. Like once I ordered some RAM, and the price dropped the next day, even though my order hadn't shipped yet. I did the online chat, and they gave me the lower price (like $10 or so). I doubt amazon would do that.

The combo deals on newegg are an awesome way to save $$. I looked at the camera you are considering, and the combo deals offered don't include a SD card. Do you have your mind set on that camera? Also are you sure about the size of the SD card? 16gigs is kind of overkill on a point and shoot, even at that MP. I have a 4 gig and very rarely delete stuff off, take tons of pics, and have never come close to filling it up. I've still got pics on there from when I first bought the camera like 3 years ago. Reason I ask is you can find killer deals on cards with 4 and 8 gigs. I see deals on newegg all the time with combos that come with free SD cards that size.

Finally, you might want to wait a couple weeks till black friday deals. You can get SD cards dirt cheap, and either order online or go out mid day and hit a place like Staples or Office Depot where there won't be lines. I'm sure there will be tons of good camera deals.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

yeah, i'm waiting off with the camera anyways, i dont need it immediatly...

but on the SD side, i need at least class 4 cards, because the camera shoots HD video..

oh well, i'll have to see..

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

You just got to watch those prices as some things amazon will do better at and some things new egg will do better at. It just goes to show that you always got to do your homework and personally if it is a large purchase (over $100) then I try to watch the pricesfor about a month to see if they fluctuate at all. Typically I know the stuff I want once funds permit so I end up watching things for much longer and then buying when I see the price REALLY drop.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

If it is a computer "part" I will stick with new-egg. A mother board, cpu, HD, memory. I will pay a bit more knowing that if there is any problem I can return it hassle free.

For general consumer items like monitors and cameras I go with what is cheapest and that is almost always Amazon. I have the Amazon prime so shipping is free.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X