Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pingtest Assesses the Quality of Your Internet Connection

http://www.pingtest.net/index.php

This is brought to you by speedtest.net.

It will test your line quality, packet loss etc.

It seems it is in Beta, needs to show more info in my opinion.

Still it will give you a good estimation of the quality of your line?

Re: Pingtest.net

I would have to say not enough to show line quality. My results:

I've had a line test from AT&T techs before when I've posted in the support sections of DSLReports.com's forums. Their tests of course show more data like attenuation, noise margin, transmit power, etc.

As an example of what PingTest.com needs to do, here's a recent line test done on my phone line (which is used for my DSL):

DSL Down
    Relative Capacity Occupation (0 - 100%) 41
    Noise Margin (-64 to 63 dB) 22
    Transmitted Signal Power (-31 to 31 dBm) 11
    Signal Attenuation (0 to 127 dB) 56
    Max Attainable Bit Rate (Kbps) 4096
    Current Bit Rate (Kbps) 1536
    Cell Count 58067431

DSL Up
    Relative Capacity Occupation (0 - 100%) 47
    Noise Margin (-64 to 63 dB) 21
    Transmitted Signal Power (-31 to 31 dBm) 5
    Signal Attenuation (0 to 127 dB) 31
    Max Attainable Bit Rate (Kbps) 928
    Current Bit Rate (Kbps) 384
    Cell Count 42638624
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Is this a good download and upload score?

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

Show off.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Man, and to think Im only getting 8 with 10 being the most available but almost twice the price :'( c'mon verizon! Gimme some FIOS or something!

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            Show off.
            Yeah, quit showing off. I only get a fraction of that :(

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

Just at the right place at the right time. The switch to Fiber Optic last year made a huge difference. Before my numbers were between 3-5Mb/s down and the low .50's up. Waiting for the day when speeds over 1Mb/s upload are possible.

Switching to Cat6 grade ethernet cables can help too - if you have a high speed modem, router and LAN port...

:icon_frow
              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
              sigpic

Comment

I managed to get 15MB Down, 1MB Up. Just regular cable with crappy cables.
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

Showoff. ;D

My supervisor at work has a 104 Mbps connection. It is beastly. He says he can load videos and play xbox LIVE in 3 rooms and download things continuously all at the same time and not even notice a stutter in anything.

As for PingTest

I dont really know what any of that stuff means though other than packet loss and ping.

Comment

Question.

I get

[media]http://www.speedtest.net/result/587869547.png[/media]

But If I run a second at the same time I get about the same. And if I run a third at the same time I get about 1Mbs.

Is that representative of my actual or are these test doing some kind of extrapolation for lesser data transfer?
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Just had my net upgraded...on wireless as well

Comment

:) Good for Canada heh...

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy-2-War View Post
                          Just at the right place at the right time. The switch to Fiber Optic last year made a huge difference. Before my numbers were between 3-5Mb/s down and the low .50's up. Waiting for the day when speeds over 1Mb/s upload are possible.

Switching to Cat6 grade ethernet cables can help too - if you have a high speed modem, router and LAN port...
                          I tried that for a period. I noticed a very marginal difference of 0.01 to 0.03 down and 0.01 up. Not to mention CAT6 cables cost more than CAT5/e and since I've had to replace two of the cables. So now I only have a CAT6 leading from the modem to the router. Everything else is wireless or CAT5e.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Comment

Pingtest Assesses the Quality of Your Internet Connection

Lifehacker.com has a good post about Pingtest, a great webapp from the makers of the well known Speedtest.net

Pingtest Assesses the Quality of Your Internet Connection

I checked my line out, and seems good. If you are having bugs, might want to play with this for a while.

Remember, most of TG's servers are in Northern Virginia, and there are some test servers there.:icon_cool

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X