DVD Burner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Burner

OK, I'm finally building a new machine that is going to be hooked up to my home theater. I know nothing about DVD burners, though. I would like to be able to burn DVDs that I can then play in someone's consumer electronics DVD player. What do I need to get for this? DVD-R? DVD-RAM? DVD+R? Is it more complicated than this? Less complicated? Can any of these formats do what I want as long as it's "finalized" like with a CD?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: DVD Burner

i've just bought an LG GSA4163, and it's good.

It's a 16x DVD R/RW/RAM Internal Dual Layer...dual layer meaning it can write up to 8 something Gb on one (dual layer) disk.

Out of all the reviews i read this one, and LG in general, got the most solid recommendations. It cost me 30GBP which is pretty darn cheap. You can get them with a black bezel if you need one too.

Don't ask what all the formats that it can write to as i have no idea. i just put a blank disk in and out comes a non-blank one. But in answer to your question, i'm pretty sure it's one of the few burners that can burn to be played on almost any dvd player, as well as your usual formats.

Comment

It looks like any of the new burners will do what I want and that the old +R-R wars are irrelevant with most burners supporting both formats?

Planning on getting a PLEXTOR Beige 12X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW 8X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 8M Cache SATA DVD Burner - Retail from www.newegg.com

Any comments?
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Yes. It's beige. :icon23:

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
          Yes. It's beige. :icon23:
          Just like the case that it's going in...
          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Btw, Cing. i've found a keyboard that's even better than the Zippy WK-722!

It's the new Zippy EL-722!

Comment

I'm sure someone DDogG will jump in and correct me, but I believe whether or not a burnable DVD-ROM will play in a commercial DVD player has more to do with the commercial DVD player than the type of media you're burning.
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                Just like the case that it's going in...
                All things beige should be made illegal. Beige itself is a crime against style and taste and decency!
                :icon_razz

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                  I'm sure someone DDogG will jump in and correct me, but I believe whether or not a burnable DVD-ROM will play in a commercial DVD player has more to do with the commercial DVD player than the type of media you're burning.
                  As i understand it, the new breed of dvd burners such as the LG and Plextor can burn to the format usually recognised by commercial players. i could be totally wrong though, as i know very little on this.

Comment

There's a lot of information about DVD burners. The LG one is a good choice from what I've read. Unfortunately, I also hear it doesn't support bitsetting for DVD+R. That would help with compatibility. I have the BenQ 1620 OEM myself, flashed with retail firmware. I haven't tried its compatibility but it's reputed to be compatible with many recordable DVD media.

The Plextors are pretty good too but I find them to be expensive. I think you pretty much want to get a dual-layer capable burner that supports bitsetting. DVD-RAM support doesn't matter too much. Everybody seems to just burn with DVD+R and DVD-R. What really matters is the type of recordable media you buy. Anything made in Japan is reputed to be highly compatible and long-lasting. The really crappy brands end up with anomalies and may be unreadable down the road. There's a manufacturer called Taiyo Yuden that's supposedly the best but there are other brands that work just as well. I think the rule of thumb is stay away from any media made in Taiwan.

I don't think people care too much about the differences between DVD-R and DVD+R. DVD+R with bitsetting is supposed to be the most compatible but DVD-R is compatible too (similar to the CD-R process).

You may want to sift through this thread. Check up near the end or search the thread for bits of information for specific burners. Although, it mainly has a lot of information about media types and which ones to buy or not buy.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=87989

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. And that's a hell of a thread to wade through, Sarc, but I'm gonna try. It looks like there's some really good info there...

I already bought the Plextor that I linked to above, though.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I stickied a thread on this subject...

the Maker of the DVD player will ultimately determine what type of disk you will need.

the main ones to watch out for are sony and philips/magnavox. these along with three other companies (of whom none make retail DVD players) use the +r standard. everyone else is on the -r standard..... a - r is closest in form t a retail DVD, so you will get better compatability with it, however, I have made mass production DVD's to the tune of 900 pieces, and overall, for every 30 DVDs you make, 1 will need to +r and the rest -R. It depends on your audience, but this is the number we keep coming up with for this area.

with most people owning those apex/el cheapo DVD players from wally world... (those things play either VERY well) it is likely a -r will do the job.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                          I stickied a thread on this subject...

the Maker of the DVD player will ultimately determine what type of disk you will need.

the main ones to watch out for are sony and philips/magnavox. these along with three other companies (of whom none make retail DVD players) use the +r standard. everyone else is on the -r standard..... a - r is closest in form t a retail DVD, so you will get better compatability with it, however, I have made mass production DVD's to the tune of 900 pieces, and overall, for every 30 DVDs you make, 1 will need to +r and the rest -R. It depends on your audience, but this is the number we keep coming up with for this area.

with most people owning those apex/el cheapo DVD players from wally world... (those things play either VERY well) it is likely a -r will do the job.
                          Hmmm, everything I've read said +R is most compatible with consumer DVD players...

At any rate, every DVD burner I looked at supported both +R and -R, including the one that I ordered...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Just make sure you buy good media. Don't get cheap crap.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                              Just make sure you buy good media. Don't get cheap crap.
                              Uh, oh... I just bought the cheapest brand-name media that I saw: Memorex 16x CD+R

Or do you mean not to buy the off-brand stuff that is almost free at Fry's Electronics every Saturday?
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X