Clear All

• Vertical Bars - Display Problem

Dell XPS 630I
    Windows Vista
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    3325 MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

So here's the deal...

I was playing ArmA2 today and my computer locked up mid-game, with the graphics and colors messing up big time, along with looping sound. I was unable to alt+tab or get the task manager open, so I held the power button and turned it off. When I turned the computer back on, crazy things appeared on my screen as it booted up, including blue dots everywhere, vertical bars of green, overall messed up graphical glitches. When I get to the login screen, there are 5 vertical bars about 1 inch in width each and 3 inches apart, spanning the height of my monitor. The bars themselves are kind of like "screen tears", where the pixels are all different colors of the current window I have up, and they "dance around" whenever I drag a window around or move my cursor. I literally have to drag this window so that the line of text I'm typing falls under one of the 3 inch portions of my screen that still shows up non-blurry.

I've tried multiple times to uninstall and then reinstall my display drivers, with no results - the bars remain. I'm almost completely convinced this has something to do with my drivers or graphics because of many things I've noticed. I no longer have the "Nvidia Control Panel" option when right-clicking on my desktop. Also, my windows have been minimizing and maximizing not smoothly. When my computer was working properly, when I minimized or maximized a window, it would give the appearance of "shrinking" to the task bar or "expanding" from the task bar to my desktop. Now it just disappears and appears without the animations. Also, I used to be able to hover my cursor over a window in the task bar, and a mini-window would pop up, previewing what was on that window. That no longer happens as well. Lastly, when I go to Nvidia's website and use their online tool to check what version of drivers I have, it only shows as "--", meaning it doesn't recognize that I have any drivers installed at all.

I've been using the older 182.50 GeForce drivers because they were the only ones stable with ArmA2 (the other newer drivers I was using caused crash-to-desktops).

After countless restarts, checking the cable to my monitor, and re-installations of my display drivers, I'm all out of ideas folks. Any help or advice would be appreciated more than I could possibly show through the internet.

Hell, I've even tried launching ArmA and other games after reinstalling my drivers, still with these damned bars on my screen, and it gave me this error: "Display Adapter does not support format D24S8 for X8R8G8B8."

| |

Re: Vertical Bars - Display Problem

I hate to say it, but in all honesty it sounds like your video card blew out. Either that, or your system board is starting to go bad. If you're getting video distortion during POST it's not driver-related, as drivers only come into play once you're in windows.

If you have a spare video card laying around or one that you can borrow from a friend, swap it and see if the video problems disappear (you'll be mostly concerned about how things look during POST). If it clears up, your video card is toast. If not, your system board is the likely culprit. Either way, you're looking at a hardware failure. Sorry man.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Get a new video card. Your old one just toasted itself.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If its your card I have one for you Marine, im driving distance too 8800GT superclock
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Hated losing my 8800gtx. Thankfully eVGA warrantied my card and my replacement has done a good job - 9800gtx+. The biggest thing I learned was to run eVGA precision when I'm heavy into the card and monitor and adjust the fan to maintain a lower operating temp.
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Its beat Marine.
            Im sorry.

Can you hook up with Coug ?

|

Comment

Agreed with all the above, sounds all too familiar of a blown GPU.
              hopefully you and PC can work something out.

POE2 Developer

Comment

I can see this as being one of three things: Your card is overheating, your card is using corrupted drivers, or your card is dead. I think it is probably dead, but you can do a few things to check if it is not any of the others.

Open the side panel to your computer and let it air out for a while. Open the window to the room if it is cold outside. In the mean time, use another computer to download different drivers. Try to find a download manager that runs md5 checks on files downloaded (I don't know any off the top of my head anymore. An md5 check is a file integrity check. You will have to look for the drivers md5 string, which looks like ab57c987f343eed56 on the site you are downloading it from.). Try installing those drivers. If that doesn't work, try finding any sort of BIOS update for your card. I remember I had to update my 8800GT's BIOS a while back. It is a very, very long longshot that it will work, but you'll be glad when it does work and you don't have to buy a new card.

But I'm 98% sure your card is dead.
                Waldo II

Comment

If all else fails stick it in the oven.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                    If all else fails stick it in the oven.
                    Seems to be working pretty well for a lot of people, amazing that a simple re-flow can fix many of the issues people have had lately.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Funny, I received that bit of hot advice more than I expected to. (Pun intended.)

Anyways, thanks a bunch for your replies dudes, and Cougar, I am most grateful. Luckily though, after talking with Dell's super customer support (tm), and having them make me install a program on my computer that lets them control it from across the country, I've convinced them to send me a replacement card. I'll be back in PR and ArmA by Wednesday. (I am assured of this. This I am assured of.)

Thanks again!

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...