Holiday Season Upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Season Upgrades

Mmmmm. Do you smell that? It smells like the inside of Micro Center and I LOVE IT! It's hard to believe that with some sound advice (and barely any computer knowledge on my part) that I built my first PC. As a reference, here are the current specs:

-Antec 900 ATX Mid-Tower
    -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    -ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    -CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel
    -Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
    -Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    -ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    -Antec 850w PSU
    -Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    -Sennheiser PC 350
    -Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
    -Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse
    -Raxer eXactMat
    -SAMSUNG ToC T220 Rose-Black 22" 2ms GTG Widescreen LCD Monitor
    -Dell 19" Monitor

Now, there are essentially three things I'd like to do to improve my rig, and I believe it will make a big difference (but tell me if I'm wrong ;)).

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    I use Vista currently and have heard a great deal of great news from Windows 7. Win7 has TRIM support, and since I am looking towards an SDD, I thought that this would be a useful step. I have my backup drive set to bring over everything important to my functioning. I really didn't see any reason to go with the retail version as I know that I will be using 64-bit and it shaves a bit off the price.

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail
    I'm ready to jump to DX11. My only concern with this card is ventilation and space. I'm using an Antec 900; will the case have enough room for the card and enough space to allow it to cool?

Corsair P128 (CMFSSD-128GBG2D) 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
    I'm quite excited about this. With the Win7 install, I plan to place it on the SDD as well as my games and Steam for those fast loads. Everything else can be placed on my 1TB drive.

Patriot PC25S Convoy 3.5 Internal Drive Enclosure
    Just an enclosure for the 2.5" SDD.

Thoughts, comments, advice? I know we haven't hit December yet, heck, not even Thanksgiving. Yes, I'm still vomiting every time I see X-Mas decorations up. But, I still want to know want I want to get this holiday season, especially with the 5870 in short supply and such.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Holiday Season Upgrades

Those all look like great choices but I would look into the SSDs a bit more. I don't remember off the top of my head but the samsung SSDs were having some issues but I could just be remembering wrong.

Here are some links that should cover it.
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667

As for the 5870, the card measures 11 inches long so I bet you can grab a ruler and see if you have space.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

His case has PLENTY of room
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Beat, you don't need the internal enclosure (essentially a hot-swap bay) unless your SSD is a secondary drive and you plan on taking it with you to another computer and plugging it in.

Since it's the primary drive, you wouldn't be able to take it out anyways without rendering your rig useless for the time the drive is not there.

Everything else looks pretty good.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The drive bay enclosure is not a hot swap its a bay adapter so the 2.5" SSD will fit in a 3.5" drive bay, also Dr.Beat is a proud lady of TG.

Comment

Thanks for the notes on the internal enclosure Acreo, I wasn't too sure what to make of it. That's $25.00 I can save for a rainy day (or a ThinkGeek t-shirt :row__642:).

Thanks for the case info LpBronco, I checked it with the ruler and it looks like it will be fine.
            Last edited by DrBeat; 11-22-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

That's pretty much a sideways video card upgrade - probably not worth the money. Better would be a bigger and nicer monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                That's pretty much a sideways video card upgrade - probably not worth the money. Better would be a bigger and nicer monitor.
                While that would be nice, my 22" Samsung is barely a year old. I do not have the desk space for another monitor even if I gave away/got rid of my 19". I'm pretty comfortable with my monitors. But, my Dell monitor seems to flicker bit bit, changing the refresh rate hasn't done anything.

Comment

It's a huge video card upgrade, especially with several DX11 games in the pipeline. The 5770 would be a sideways upgrade. Still, I would think that the 1GB 4770 would be powerful enough to tide a person over until the next round of video cards come out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                    The drive bay enclosure is not a hot swap its a bay adapter so the 2.5" SSD will fit in a 3.5" drive bay, also Dr.Beat is a proud lady of TG.
                    Well sorry. Don't get yer panties in a wad on my account.

That was my initial impressions of a product with the description "internal enclosure". I still couldn't quite make out it was a 2.5" to 2.5" bay from the pictures.

And yes, I know Beat = a girl. I kind of already asked her before on another thread. Jeez.

Originally posted by Dr.Beat
                    Thanks for the notes on the internal enclosure Acreo, I wasn't too sure what to make of it. That's $25.00 I can save for a rainy day (or a ThinkGeek t-shirt ).
                    No no, don't remove it from your cart. I was clearly mistaken. It is a 2.5" to 3.5" bay enclosure so you can mount a 2.5" disk into and then mount the bay (with your HDD inside) into your rig.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Oops! Read the thread wrong there. Thanks for the double clarification on the drive enclosure!

Just bringing the conversation back to SDDs, I'm now looking at the OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) or the Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - OEM.

My new question is; how much room do I really need? My current back-up of my C drive that has "everything important" (games, music, Steam, TS, etc, only the games and some programs will be on the SDD) is using about 80GB. Not that much when you consider that my only drive now is 191GB out of the massive 1TB I have. Would 80GB be enough? Or do I want to leap and go for the 120GB drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                        It's a huge video card upgrade, especially with several DX11 games in the pipeline. The 5770 would be a sideways upgrade. Still, I would think that the 1GB 4770 would be powerful enough to tide a person over until the next round of video cards come out.
                        A 4770 or a 4870?

Comment

The HD5870 has double the stream processors of the HD4870 and is a major upgrade

rest of the article here with several more games and comparisons
                          http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=9

Comment

A 4770 or a 4870?
                            4870. Sorry, typed that wrong. A 5870 is a gigantic upgrade over a 4870.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmm I must have been thinking of the 5770 then. Doh

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X