Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 bootmgr problem, help me Bamboo!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 bootmgr problem, help me Bamboo!

This is quite possibly the most annoying thing I've come up against for a good few weeks.

Ok, I used to run WinXP pro in a 160GB IDE drive, with 2 IDE as storage.
    I now have a 500GB Sata and installed windows 7 on it. This was 2 weeks ago, I'm now happy with Windows 7 and now I want to reformat my 160GB drive that has XP on it and turn it into a 3rd storage drive.

There's just 1 problem though, the boot files are on the 160GB drive (now D:) for both XP and Windows 7.
    I have googled to the ends of the damn Earth and I cannot find a clear cut and simple to understand way of getting the MBR onto the Win7 drive so I can finally nuke the 160GB IDE.

Basically I want the windows 7 boot crap on the new C: drive (the 500GB Sata) but most of the stuff that came up in google was Vista related and I don;t want to risk doing something wrong and end up having to start again from scratch.

POE2 Developer

Re: Windows 7 bootmgr problem, help me Bamboo!

Try this: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

One of the most powerful bootmanagers I've used. I used it to move an MBR because a drive died,if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by tHa_KhAn; 11-25-2009, 10:28 AM.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Yeah, I'll throw a cookie to SGB also. Saved me bigtime when my RAID 0's boot loader got all messed up. Just used the live disc for awhile instead of bothering with figuring out what was where.

SBG should fix your problems, if not, a fresh install never hurts.

Comment

Alternate method:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...up-repair.html

Your install put the boot loader/MBR on the boot disk (your 160G drive). Set the sata disk first in the boot priority (in the BIOS), boot the install CD, do a repair. The utility will find the W7 install and fix it. That's what I did on my son's PC (same deal, 2 disks, W7 installed on the second drive, but the boot loader/MBR was written to the other (boot) drive.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Looks like the guys above have it right.
          If it doesn't work for some reason, you can try EasyBCD Makes Tweaking Your Windows Bootloader a Snap
          Might work. But sounds like Dick Blonov has had some experience with it already.
          I posted about that in a weekend update thread a couple weeks ago.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
            Alternate method:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...up-repair.html

Your install put the boot loader/MBR on the boot disk (your 160G drive). Set the sata disk first in the boot priority (in the BIOS), boot the install CD, do a repair. The utility will find the W7 install and fix it. That's what I did on my son's PC (same deal, 2 disks, W7 installed on the second drive, but the boot loader/MBR was written to the other (boot) drive.

DB
            Success!

+rep

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
              Success!
              Good!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X