Docsis 3.0 testing for cable broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docsis 3.0 testing for cable broadband

A member of the Team Ramrod clan that I am acquainted with is testing Docsis 3.0 for cable broadband.

Here are his results with speedtest with a Docsis 3.0 compatible modem.

and here are mine using Docsis 2.0 and a compatible modem:

Keep in mind he and I use same cable company and we live 10-15 miles apart from each other.

Just thought I would share. Any impressions/comments?

AB
    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Re: Docsis 3.0 testing for cable broadband

Couple of thoughts.
    I hate you and your uber fast upload :D:D:D

As far as the new standard, I haven't kept up on it since I moved from Northern VA/DC. Comcast was talking a lot about 3.0 and trying to make the move quickly, mostly because they were getting their butts kicked by FIOS. Since moving and now having TimeWarner, haven't looked at it. I know Comcast was saying it was going to be amazing.

Couple of things about your buddy. Try and get him to download something big, like a game demo or giant patch, like a 1 gig size, and you do the same, and see what the speed really does over the entire download. Speedtest isn't always accurate. I would really like to see the results of that.

Also, it's interesting that the pings are the same. I was hoping that would improve since super fast speed really doesn't help much in gaming. Notice I'm a lot farther away from my test server, but still got a way lower ping. My ping to servers in DC area is even lower. If you get a chance try testing your rig to some other servers like in LA and see if you get a better ping.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm using a Docsis 3 cablemodem (just had it brought over 2 days ago because the old piece of junk died) and heres what I get:

Comment

Omg. In Belgium's duopoly, even the ISP's don't get that speed I bet. That is pretty awesome. The highest speed we can get afaik is 12 Mb/s

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          I'm using a Docsis 3 cablemodem (just had it brought over 2 days ago because the old piece of junk died) and heres what I get:
          Has your cable company upgraded to Docsis 3.0?

Bamboo, I sent him the link to the thread so he could see the responses.
          Last edited by AbRocinante; 11-26-2009, 01:04 AM.
          "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
          "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            Couple of thoughts.
            I hate you and your uber fast upload :D:D:D

As far as the new standard, I haven't kept up on it since I moved from Northern VA/DC. Comcast was talking a lot about 3.0 and trying to make the move quickly, mostly because they were getting their butts kicked by FIOS. Since moving and now having TimeWarner, haven't looked at it. I know Comcast was saying it was going to be amazing.

Couple of things about your buddy. Try and get him to download something big, like a game demo or giant patch, like a 1 gig size, and you do the same, and see what the speed really does over the entire download. Speedtest isn't always accurate. I would really like to see the results of that.

Also, it's interesting that the pings are the same. I was hoping that would improve since super fast speed really doesn't help much in gaming. Notice I'm a lot farther away from my test server, but still got a way lower ping. My ping to servers in DC area is even lower. If you get a chance try testing your rig to some other servers like in LA and see if you get a better ping.

latency will not change from the same source. higher speeds do not mean lower latencies :). latency plays a bigger part on how many hops you take to the server. for instance to our TRR LA server I ping in the mid 40's 6 hops. 2 a San Jose server further North I ping in the 20's and only 2 hops. So if you put it this way the less different hubs you hit the better off you are. Every location will be different for everyone. I actually have less hops to your server than I do to my server and can play pretty smoothly on yours as well :)

89 Megs in 12 secs. I cannot post image sbecause of 15 post rule...

12 secs exactly.. pretty much 6 megs all the way through. The other thought is that you can only go as fast as the sources upload bandwitdh :)

For Ferris the Docsis 3.0 Modem will do you good when 3.0 is launched.
            I have actually seen 100 up and down in lab testing. I just have the pleasure of testing it at my home now.

Honestly who needs 60 down and 60 up? You don't need it to a great gaming experience. You want a clean service provider with no issues....

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy619 View Post
              You want a clean service provider with no issues....
              THESE EXIST?! Where can I find one?

Comment

Honestly who needs 60 down and 60 up? You don't need it to a great gaming experience. You want a clean service provider with no issues....
                Exactly right, but I really want something like a solid 10/10. Hell, I want anything faster in upload. You see from my above post how horrible my up is. I enjoy recording and editing movies, like for ARMA, but when it takes 2 days to upload to Youtube, it just isn't worth it. So I just don't waste the time any more.

This short clip I uploaded took most of a day:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKe57WqFnU[/media]

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Honestly who needs 60 down and 60 up?
                  You can never, ever have too much.

|

Comment

Local to Phoenix

Cross country to DC

I just connected the Motorola SURFboard eXtreme and my downstream is faster but upload results are similar to my old 2.0. Cox in AZ is keeping a tight grip on 3.0 and you have to pay an additional $20/mo for the service. I had hoped that just getting the new modem would unlock greater potential that was already in the pipe, but I am sure there is some programming involved. Even with that the upload is still capped at 2.5. I was looking for a downstream in the 5 range to improve game hosting. I think a lot will have to do with the competition in your area and how much the cable company is willing to "give up". As someone else mentioned, the quality of all of the "hops" you have to make to get to your destination (like TG servers) has a lot to do with it also.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                      Local to Phoenix
                      I think a lot will have to do with the competition in your area and how much the cable company is willing to "give up". As someone else mentioned, the quality of all of the "hops" you have to make to get to your destination (like TG servers) has a lot to do with it also.
                      There's the truth of it.

|

Comment

It would be great for hosting your own game server(s). Or a company web server with a moderate amount of visits. Esp. if you need to shuffle some sizable files around, like the big Solidworks files my company routinely deals with.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Since moving to Glasgow I got Virgin Fibre Optic broadband, only went for the "slowest" speed to save money, so I "only" get 10.2 mb Dl and 1.1 up speeds. Will have a look when I get home and post. Irony is my speed is only meant to be 10, I can get 50 MB/S here if I want it, and the speed is 100% constant.....

Comment

Just as an interesting note, BestBuy has a deal with a 3.0 router that will start next week:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've got Cox communications in KS and we get around 10Mb down (supposedly) and 756k up (more like 50kb or the line chokes to death for anything else). Not at home to run the test but similar to Bamboo.

I want Gigabit up and down. The internet is based on being able to download and upload, so the disparity makes participation more of an audience position than a participant. I do get decent pings as long as I am doing one thing, but I should be able to do multiple things if the bandwidth is available instead of being artificially limited by my provider.
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X