Interesting ATI card offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting ATI card offer

I ordered ATI 5870 couple months ago and my local hardware store has been unable to deliver it, apparently ATI has worldwide issues with the delivery, and estimated earliest arrive date for the cards is in one month.

So as they gave the card max 1 month delivery time, they've now offered to change my card into 2 x 5770 (it also says they give me some cash return to the top of it). So is this good deal? I've never had two video cards in one setup, so I can't estimate does it compare to single 5870.
    Currently I have Nvidia 8800GT and I had some issues with it, but was able to fix them last week. Haven't tried new drives but they've been giving me BSODs and stuff so far.
    So should I take it? Wait another month? Cancel whole thing and find some better card (note that 5850 is also utterly gone)?
    Not really waiting for the Nvidia's new set, and ATI's prices for sure ain't going down.

And yeah about 2 x video card set-up. My motherboard is IP35P, would need to change that.

And the shell is rather small, it could have barely fit 5870, but will there be heat problems with these two?

/hope the title wasn't misleading didn't pay enough attention >.>/
    Last edited by Mixa; 11-26-2009, 09:24 AM.

Re: Interesting ATI card offer

From the specifications you would have the same graphics power with either option.

BUT

In reality crossfire does not always allow for perfect scaling. Some games will take advantage of it and others won't nearly as much. You will never have performance above a 5870. Throw in the fact that you would have to get a different motherboard and I would say don't got for it unless you just REALLY want that level of performance from ATI.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

is your MB sli or crossfire?
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I bought one from TigerDirect and it was deleveried in about two weeks. You might want to try them or NewEgg. They are hard to come by but they will get them.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
          is your MB sli or crossfire?
          Yeah actually it seems that it has neither so I have to change it. So 2 x 5770 doesn't seem such a good offer. I think I'll just need to keep waiting, or I'll upgrade my MB, have to do it someday in any case.

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
          I bought one from TigerDirect and it was deleveried in about two weeks. You might want to try them or NewEgg. They are hard to come by but they will get them.
          I wish they'd deliver the stuff all the way to here :/

Comment

Personally, if it is at all possible, I would try and cancel the order and get my money back. If it takes a month, by that time we will know what Nvidia has up it's sleeve, but even if you want to stick with ATI, by then some of the other companies boards should be out that will have factory overclocking and upgraded cooling. Right now pretty much all the boards out are the same cooler with different stickers. Newegg just started getting some of the better ones:

SAPPHIRE 100281VXSR Radeon HD 5870 1GB
            and
            POWERCOLOR LCS AX5870 1GBD5-WMDH Radeon HD 5870 1GB

The 2nd one has a waterblock for liquid cooling, but shows that good cards are on the way. And ATI is busting ass to get caught up. I really can't believe they let this happen. It was their chance to blow Nvidia away and make a killing, but you can't make a killing if you don't have anything to sell. Horrible mistake.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'd go with what bamboo said. Xfire sounds nice but motherboard upgrade isn't really going to be worth it.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Yeah what I'll do is keep the order up, in case nvidia turns out to be not as good (in price/quality) I'll have it coming.

In short, it would probably take nvidia 2-3 months to get their stuff here in any case, and I'm not 100% sure if my current card will do that long. I'll have to upgrade my motherboard at some point in any case, but doing it now isn't really worth it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X