Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a laptop with an external monitor configuration.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a laptop with an external monitor configuration.

I am considering buying an external monitor (Samsung 24" widescreen LCD) and connecting it to my laptop. I am assuming the monitor will not draw any power from the laptop as it has an AC adaptor. Is the amount of memory and CPU usage important (if the monitor uses any at all)? Any other pros and cons I should consider. Also, am I correct in thinking the laptop screen will disable if an external monitor is connected?

I appreciate any help?

AB
    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Re: Anyone have a laptop with an external monitor configuration.

I am assuming the monitor will not draw any power from the laptop as it has an AC adaptor. Is the amount of memory and CPU usage important (if the monitor uses any at all)?
    The external monitor would just be another display. Depending on what apps you plan on running and displaying on the external monitor (and/or lappy one as well), it could vary.

For example: if you were to run a full-screen game on the external, you'd be running usually at a higher resolution and therefore would use more VRAM, probably would want a dedicated graphics card with at least 256 MB of VRAM, a good CPU, etc.

By itself, the monitor doesn't use really anymore resources and no it does not really draw power from your laptop as it would have it's own power source (aka drawing from a wall socket).

Also, am I correct in thinking the laptop screen will disable if an external monitor is connected?
    No, you can have one, the other, or both. It's all up to you. You can only have the external displaying, the external mirror the lappy display, or even have the second monitor extend the first (needs to be set to same resolution?).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      (needs to be set to same resolution?).

They can be different. I have that set-up at work with extended desktop, 2 different resolutions. I presume most laptops handle this nowadays.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
        They can be different. I have that set-up at work with extended desktop, 2 different resolutions. I presume most laptops handle this nowadays.

DB
        There, so even better.

I use a 15" LCD with my netbook sometimes. Though for me, I only have two options: only output to external or mirror. I can't extend my desktop space. Probably the limited GMA950 chipset and Intel drivers. If you have nV or ATI, I'm guessing the other options are available to you on your laptop.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I believe GMA965 or better can handle different resolutions. My lenovo x61 has the 965 chipset and it handles different resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
            I believe GMA965 or better can handle different resolutions. My lenovo x61 has the 965 chipset and it handles different resolutions.
            I'll check wich one I have. I know it's an Intel chipset (Dell laptop).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X