Warning about recent Windows update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning about recent Windows update

Just making sure everyone has heard the news about the most recent windows update. It is causing some bugs and you should hold off on updating. I already did about 2 days ago, and I just had the first Blue Screen Of Death I've had in recent memory.

More info here:
    Recent Windows patches may cause black screen, free fix available

All I can say is I better not have to reinstall Vista.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Warning about recent Windows update

I got a blue screen once.. didnt worry about it and it hasnt happened ever again and my pc is as good as new so no idea what caused it lol

thnx for the info though!

Comment

Direct link to Prevx article including info on a downloadable fix if you end up in this situation:

http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-...ta-and-XP.html
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've had some friends say it deleted their drivers on their Win 7 machine.

Comment

My Windows 7 did die last night on me. Had to replug all my harddrives to get them to read on the Mobo. When I did get it back up and running my audio was all messed up. I figured Creative's crappy drivers were to blame. This makes more sense.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Well I'm in trouble. Since the first BSOD last night I have had more than a dozen. Can't stay up long enough to do a virus scan or anything. Going to have to get creative.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Are you saying the fix did not fix it for you?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Good god, I didn't know about this. Thanks to Scratch, I removed one of the two identified MS updates that causes the black screen: KB976098.

I'll be holding up updating anymore until someone can post to say it's all been fixed. Can't believe MS would screw us over this badly (especially with their "no comment" attitude).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have both of those updates and no problems?

Comment

The Prevx article says it's related to having certain "security software" installed, which I think means stuff like anti-virus software. So it depends on what you're using for an AV.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Thanks to Scratch
                      Thank Bamboo. I just followed the links at his link to find the details. ;)

Comment

In particular Prevx's antimalware stuff? I'm just using avast.

Comment

I'm using Avast as well and I got some sort of problem last night. Maybe it's not related to this but something else going haywire on my machine.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I'm using ESET NOD32, no issues yet.

EDIT: Ars Technica reports that Microsoft says that the B(lack)SODs not linked to latest patches.
                            Last edited by DrBeat; 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

My boss just called with these symptoms after installing a "Blackberry update". Not sure what that was, but he booted to the F8 menu and went to the "Last known good" configuration and got control back. Any idea what that could be? Perhaps he also got the Windows update from the same reboot and the Blackberry update is not relevant. We're running AVG Network Edition and a safe boot stalled loading AVG, and it was after that that going to last known good configuration worked.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X