ATI 5970 Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 5970 Question.

From what I understand (which is very limited), the 5970 is a dual GPU card.

Does having a dual GPU card require a Crossfire capable motherboard? Or does the crossfire motherboard only come into play when there are multiple cards?

Plz hlp... me stupidz.

Re: ATI 5970 Question.

The card is running crossfire internally, and you don't need a crossfire board to run it. Any motherboard will work.
    Are you thinking of dropping $600-650 if/when they can be found in stock?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The only thing you really need is a case the size WOPR and a power supply that has slots so you can insert additional control rods into.

The thing is bloody huge.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        The card is running crossfire internally, and you don't need a crossfire board to run it. Any motherboard will work.
        Are you thinking of dropping $600-650 if/when they can be found in stock?
        Yes. Right after the first of the year, I will have ample funds to upgrade my machine. I'm hoping by that time Fermi will be a reference board so that the 5970 prices will begin to drop, but I'll still buy even if they don't.

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
        The only thing you really need is a case the size WOPR and a power supply that has slots so you can insert additional control rods into.

The thing is bloody huge.
        I have an ANTEC P180B case with an ANTEC TPQ-1000W power supply already.

Comment

the 5970 is 13 inches long so make sure it fits IIRC it will fit in the P180. im saving up for one of these beasts too! and a 3rd screen for some eyefinity madness :D

Comment

No one got the wargames reference?

:(

POE2 Developer

Comment

Sorry for not acknowledging your cleverness. Yes, I got the WOPR reference, but being the geek I am I just figured that everyone else would get it too.

From the other thread...
              Originally posted by draeh View Post
              @Bamboo
              Along the same lines, would I be better served buying a new i7 mobo/CPU/RAM instead of updating my 1333 FSB Duo to a Quad on a DDR2 680i motherboard? Or would I be better immediately served by an increase in GPU and upgrading the mobo/CPU/RAM at a later date?
              Specifically, I have an ASUS P5N32E-SLI mobo with 4GB of DDR2 RAM running at 1333 with a Core2Duo @ 3.0GHz. My current GPU is an NVIDIA 8800GTX.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              Not to hack into Argetnar's thread, but your choice would be much harder to make. It would depend on what games you are playing now, what Duo you have, how well your board is running, and how much RAM you have.

I posted a link the other day (weekend post?) that showed how most games right now are really GPU limited. I mention how much ram you have now because if you only had 2, might make more sense to do the full upgrade than spend more money on DDR2.
              It really sounds like I can get away with what I have a while longer by only updating the GPU.

Comment

Not worth making its own thread about, but while one the subject of upgrades, some bad news this morning:

Nvidia volume Fermi shipping late Q1

Of course this is probably based on rumors and minor leaks, but really sucks if true :(

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I got it, but I don't have anything constructive to add to the thread

Comment

And now they post this:

40nm ATI / Nvidia shortage to last whole Q1 10

Things might start getting better in Q2 2010, but this means that you might have to wait all the way to April 2010 if not later to get more than a single 40nm card sitting on the store shelve for more than a day.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well the problem for both of them is TSMC, which has been horrible with its 40nm process since its beginning. The best yield I've seen reported from them is 50% and that is just crazy. Oh well I'm glad I picked up my GTX260 when I did I guess, I was waiting till chistmas but apparently things have gone very wrong.
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I had dreams of amazing FPS in ARMA2 for Christmas :(

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

could all be artificial shortages so they can keep prices up until nvidia bring out some decent competition. its happened before. yields will suddenly be fine if nvidia launch a 5970 equivalent.

Comment

I'm sure AMD would rather be actually selling parts right now at those high prices than only have retailers be constantly out of stock, as of right now there is only one 5870 in stock at newegg. No parts in stock at all means no money at all.
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Just in case you needed a better look at the true size of the beast:

The Radeon HD 5970: Completing AMD's Takeover of the High End GPU Market

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X