Processor and GFX Card Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor and GFX Card Questions

Alright so in light of the BF BC2 system reqs coming out, I see the need to upgrade my PC. I currently have a pentium D (LOL Yea I know), 4 gigs of ram, a terabyte HDD, and some base model radeon GFX card. I was thinking of getting a Intel Core 2 2.33 GHz processor to replace my D. I was wondering if I can just plug the processor into my existing PC or do I need to get a whole new rig? For my GFX card I was thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 260 but I really am not sure if this one is good or not but it is recommended for Bad Company 2 (actually both of these upgrades are FYI). I don't really know alot about getting new hardware and switching them out, etc. so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    lTG-Irrl Argetnar
    If you hear the chatter of my Vossaraptor you're already dead.
    "Squad attack Tollhouse!" Experiment626
    "Cookies?" Argetnar
    "Yes bring your cookies too!" Experiment626
    sigpic

Re: Processor and GFX Card Questions

I'm pretty sure you'll be looking at a new mobo/cpu/ram combo, since you're coming from a CPU that is so old, and the mobo may not even have PCI-E for the vid card.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Tempus is probably correct. I was thinking the same thing he said while reading your post.
      We are really only going to be able to help if you get us some details on your motherboard.

That said, you will probably be shooting yourself in the foot by just buying a newer CPU because for about the same price or a bit more, you could buy a much faster new generation CPU like an i5. Pair that with a ~$130-$150, and a $75 RAM kit and you will be much better off for a very long time. Just buying a new CPU will barely help you.

Please post back with more info on exactly what you have now (store bought computer?) and how much you could spend and we'll put our heads together for you. Also, where are you located? It will help to look at prices depending on if you are USA, Canada, UK, etc.

And yes, the 260 is a pretty decent card.

Good news is Bad Company won't be out for a while yet, so you still have time to let the prices drop a good bit.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

@Bamboo
        Along the same lines, would I be better served buying a new i7 mobo/CPU/RAM instead of updating my 1333 FSB Duo to a Quad on a DDR2 680i motherboard? Or would I be better immediately served by an increase in GPU and upgrading the mobo/CPU/RAM at a later date?

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
          @Bamboo
          Along the same lines, would I be better served buying a new i7 mobo/CPU/RAM instead of updating my 1333 FSB Duo to a Quad on a DDR2 680i motherboard? Or would I be better immediately served by an increase in GPU and upgrading the mobo/CPU/RAM at a later date?
          Not to hack into Argetnar's thread, but your choice would be much harder to make. It would depend on what games you are playing now, what Duo you have, how well your board is running, and how much RAM you have.

I posted a link the other day (weekend post?) that showed how most games right now are really GPU limited. I mention how much ram you have now because if you only had 2, might make more sense to do the full upgrade than spend more money on DDR2.

Though if you did go for the full upgrade, might think about the fact that you still have a good system that you could sell to regain some $$ to pay for the new system.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Don't laugh but how do I find out what my motherboard is? I don't know if this helps but I have a stock XPS 400. Also is the bundle thing like a buying a whole new shell and everything?
            lTG-Irrl Argetnar
            "Cookies?" Argetnar
            sigpic

Comment

the XPS 400 is BTX and has an Intel 945G chipset so assuming you have the proper BIOS support you should be able to but C2D or C2Q in there. Your PSU is more than likely on the incapable side of things. Depending on your funds for a build and your seriousness about gaming I'd look for building or getting a new system.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post

Good news is Bad Company won't be out for a while yet, so you still have time to let the prices drop a good bit.
                Bamboo's quote edited down to what is, to me, the best bit

the BC2 beta is out in Jan
                we can all see how it runs on our own machines then
                we can see pics and videos of it on dx11 machines
                we can see the prices of hardware drop after new year
                we have till march release date to decide to buy or not, and if buy, then get a better deal

at least that's my plan for my new year gaming

Comment

I like Silvers plan.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, but I still would like advice on the bundles thing that bamboo (I think?) talked about. Im located in the USA and I don't want to spend tons of money maybe not more than $500 with the GFX card but i would prefer it to be as low as possible? The i5 sounds good, are there any bundles available for the afor mentioned price. I have heard good things about the 5770 card and it is cheaper than th 260, any suggestions?. Also I need a new GFX card in addition to the bundle thing. I already have 4 gigs of RAM. Do I need to buy a new case for the new CPU/mobo/GFX card?
                    lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                    "Cookies?" Argetnar
                    sigpic

Comment

Computer hardware changes at a somewhat quick pace. What we suggest to you today most probably will not be the best suggestion in March. New hardware will be released between now and then and prices will drop accordingly. Unless you plan on buying very soon, there isn't much point in telling you what to buy and may mislead you later.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

OK Im just a little lost. I would just like something that will run BF BC 2 and beyond. I just need to know what to replace, where I can buy bundles, etc.
                        lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                        "Cookies?" Argetnar
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Argetnar View Post
                          OK Im just a little lost. I would just like something that will run BF BC 2 and beyond. I just need to know what to replace, where I can buy bundles, etc.
                          Until BFBC2 comes out there is no way to verify how the hardware will run it. Additionally tech really does change fast enough that if that game is the important one it is better to wait until closer to the release because prices will fall, new options will become available, etc.

Additionally you say 'and beyond'. Well, it's hard to plan for the future other than buying top of the line or close to it at the time of purchase. It also helps to know what kind of price range you are willing to spend, as upgrades can be done differently based on when you might upgrade again. I for example buy the best rated established (1 year old) tech that gives the best bang for the buck and then upgrade every few years with an odd bit here and there. I may not get top frame rates in new games, but I mainly play mods of games that have been out a bit like PR. This means I spend less per computer, I know the hardware will hold up because it has been on the market, and I end up with a good second computer for the wife who has lower graphics requirements due to the games she plays.

I can give some examples a little later on how the whole process works, but basically, when BFBC2 is a month away there will be good advice to give you, but not right now.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

OK thanks! I am just totally clueless about buying new hardware LOL! I will post in a few months then.
                            lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                            "Cookies?" Argetnar
                            sigpic

Comment

snooggums said it perfectly.
                              We just don't know about BF:BC yet, though we do know the official requirements
                              Link:
                              Battlefield Bad Company 2 and 1943 system requirements revealed

Minimum Frostbite PC Specifications for BFBC2 & BF1943

• Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
                              • Main memory: 2GB
                              • Graphics card: GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900
                              • Graphics memory: 256MB
                              • Free HDD space: 15GB for Digital Version, 10GB for Disc Version (BFBC2); 10GB for Digital Version, 4GB for Disc Version (BF1943)

Recommended Frostbite PC Specifications for BFBC2 & BF1943

• Processor: Quadcore
                              • Main memory: 2GB
                              • Graphics card: GeForce GTX 260
                              •Graphics memory: 512MB
                              • Free HDD space: 15GB for Digital Version, 10GB for Disc Version (BFBC2); 10GB for Digital Version, 4GB for Disc Version (BF1943)
                              That being said, it means absolutely nothing. I have seen lots of games that the "recommended" hardware gives you nowhere near the eye candy you want.

And you mention the 5770, which from what I have seen is a decent card, but you say you want something that is going to be good long term, and I don't see that lasting too long. Maybe a year, just like a year from now the 260 will be feeling somewhat long in tooth with the games that will be out and the latest hardware. But you have to get what your budget allows.

If you are really really hurting right now for a new system (your FPS in the games you play now are dismal, even on low settings), then we will put together some options for you.
                              But if you are doing fine to get buy for a few months till we know more, that's cool too, and I suggest to check out this forum as we do a good job keeping TG up to date.

As for buying things like bundles, most all of us fondle Newegg constantly (I check the Intel SSD prices at least 3 times a day since they keep messing with pricing).
                              To get the best deal, the way to save money is to narrow down your parts list, like say a new Asus motherboard. Then look through at them so they are sorted by buyer ratings. Look through the top few rated ones in your price range for the one that has all the features you want. Then, go to that page and look at the combo deals (on the left side toward the bottom under the pictures.) Look through and find what other part you need that gives you the best discount. Then do the same with the other parts. I've helped guys put together builds that saved $150 that way.

You can also catch deals at stores like Fry's where they will do CPU/Motherboard combos, like the one I posted about here:

Core i5-750 Processor + Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R Motherboard $200AR @ Fry's B&M

The best thing to do, and what most of us do, me included, is buy parts over a few months, getting the best deals when you see them. It sucks something horrible to have most of the parts, but you are just waiting on a good deal for that one last piece, and you can't do anything but wait. Because the wife is hiding the credit card :D But I wouldn't know anything about that :D

So start planning now, and by end of Feb. or so you will have a really awesome rig that will last you 2-3 years of very good gaming. I promise you a $500 (total) PC is only going to make you happy for a year or so.

You are going to need the following with a VERY basic estimate of price:
                              PC case ($60-$130)
                              PSU ($60-$115)
                              RAM ($50-$150) -prices are a bit crazy right now and are supposed to go up
                              CPU ($175-$300)
                              Motherboard ($125-$175) -really depends on features and sales
                              Video card ($150-$350) - Will really make a huge difference in when you have to upgrade again
                              Windows7 ($100)

DVD Drives ??-- If your current ones are SATA, could be reused, but would hurt resale/usability of your current computer and they are only $30. ($20 for a DVD-ROM)
                              Harddrive??-- You said you have a big one, but might be better to just get a new one and keep your old rig running - ($50-$100)

So you are looking at about $800 if you pick and choose everything on the low end, or get get really good sales on stuff. Like the Antec 900 case thread the other day where it was on sale for $60, but normally is like $115. But $700 broken up over 3 months or so isn't that bad.

Also you can keep an eye on or search sites like
                              http://slickdeals.net/
                              http://www.techbargains.com/
                              http://www.logicbuy.com/
                              You can find amazing deals.

When it comes time to pick the parts, just ask in this thread and we will pic out some good choices. And look at the stickies at the top of this forum. That will also make putting it together super easy.

Just reading back through this, I hope it doesn't come off as me talking down to you. You said you were clueless, so I just started typing, and ended up here. Hope it doesn't put you off or anything.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X