Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick windows 7 question

Probably an idiot question but here goes anyway:

My windows 7 is activated (did it as soon as I installed it)
    What happens if I need to reinstall for some reason? Like a system crash or a full hardware upgrade? Is there some de-authorising procedure that you need to go through like on some games? (Spore) or can I just wipe-n-reformat?

POE2 Developer

Re: Quick windows 7 question

Unless you register it online...I am pretty sure you can keep re-using it for your rig only.

Comment

When you reinstall it, it will update on the internet again. If for any reason it will not, they will direct you to call the automated phone number where you go through the registration procedure again. A screen comes up on your computer where you enter your key. Once you call the phone number that is listed and give them your key (this is all automated) they will in turn give you a code to enter into boxes on the same screen and it will activate. The operative question in the process is "how many computers are you running with this copy of Windows". One is the magic number.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
        When you reinstall it, it will update on the internet again. If for any reason it will not, they will direct you to call the automated phone number where you go through the registration procedure again. A screen comes up on your computer where you enter your key. Once you call the phone number that is listed and give them your key (this is all automated) they will in turn give you a code to enter into boxes on the same screen and it will activate. The operative question in the process is "how many computers are you running with this copy of Windows". One is the magic number.
        This is what I had to do every time I reinstalled vista (oem version). XP lets you reactivate several times per year over the internet without forcing you to call, but not so with vista. I think W7 will be the same.

Comment

You can reinstall W7 as many times as you wish as long as your particular copy (and keycode) stays with that rig's motherboard.

If you upgrade to a new mobo or swap it out for another one, then you'd have to buy a new license or a new copy of W7.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            If you upgrade to a new mobo or swap it out for another one, then you'd have to buy a new license or a new copy of W7.
            Now that's screwed up. So basically I can't upgrade to a new board unless I shell out for a new copy of Windows?

That's the biggest bunch of BS I have heard for a while.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Which is why it's easier, even if you own a legal copy of Windows, to simply crack it or get a serial maker. It's a lot less hassle all around.
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
                Now that's screwed up. So basically I can't upgrade to a new board unless I shell out for a new copy of Windows?

That's the biggest bunch of BS I have heard for a while.
                Technically, that's been in the EULA since I believe Windows 2000 (or was it Windows XP). It's not new. The only thing that is new is now Microsoft is checking it to make sure your key is being transferred from one mobo to another (since Vista) - or rather a more effective check than the one used on XP.

I do see the big downside to that, but I think the only way you could argue a new mobo with the same key is if your old one died. I'm not sure if MS reps would allow for that instance.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

From personal experience, if you take the time to call, 99% of the time they give you the new code without too much hassle. Basically if you are taking the time to call they assume that you are legit, and it is a relatively easy process. Even if you switch Mobo's they are generally understanding so long as it is only once or twice per CD key. If you are trying it for the tenth time then yes expect a head ache, but otherwise it really is not a problem, just time consuming.

Comment

I called when I upgraded hardware. Took 5 minutes with an automated phone system. No problems.
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...