Latest news on Tablets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest news on Tablets

I've mentioned the CrunchPad in a few of my weekend posts, and the Apple tablet has been mentioned here before as well, but there has been a lot of news in the last week on the subject. So instead of trying to fit it into the weekend post, I'm starting a separate thread.

First, the news came out last week that the CrunchPad was dead. It was supposed to be about $300, but just before release some deals fell apart. Latest news out this morning:
    CrunchPad Breaks Cover at Media Event Next Monday
    But chances are with all the infighting and lawsuits, this won't be out any time soon :(

But, other news just came out this week about a new tablet from Time magazine that may end up just as good, as long as they keep the price down.

The Apple Tablet rumors have also been all over the news, even prompting these articles:
    Apple Tablet Will Restore Comic Books To Former Glory

Apple Tablet To Redefine Newspapers, Textbooks and Magazines

Problem is some thing apple will want over $1000 for their version.

I collected some links for everyone to catch up on the subject, and while some of it is reporting the same thing, the reader comments after the article are all different and can be interesting, so I'm posting them in case you want to read. There is a really good, if a bit goofy, video of what it might be like to read Sports Illustrated on a tablet in the near future.

Time's Manhattan Project Will Explode Like the Atomic Bomb It Is

Time Inc. shows off magazine tablet demo, plans future anger about 70/30 profit split

Time Inc Plotting New Tablet-friendly Digital Magazine Format

Video: What Sports Illustrated Might Feel Like on a Tablet

To me, the video was awesome. If magazine companies started offering paid subscriptions that had something like that, I would be subscribing to a lot more of them, instead of just checking on their websites like I do now. And to have a pad like that to just leave on the coffee table to check email, the forums, or the ARMA server status during commercial breaks would have me clicking BUY button almost instantly. I'm talking something thin and sleek as the Iphone but the size of 15-17" laptop screen.

Conde Nast Publications is reportedly converting all their publications which include
    * Vogue
    * W
    * style.com
    * Glamour
    * Allure
    * Self
    * Teen Vogue
    * GQ
    * Details
    * Architectural Digest
    * Brides
    * Modern Bride
    * Elegant Bride
    * Brides.com
    * Lucky
    * Cookie
    * Golf Digest
    * Golf World
    * Vanity Fair
    * Gourmet
    * Bon Appétit
    * epicurious.com
    * Condé Nast Traveler
    * concierge.com
    * Wired
    * Wired.com
    * The New Yorker
    over to a tablet friendly format as well. Of those I only subscribe to Wired, but still, it's a step forward. And it might get me subscribing to a newspaper again. I actually like reading the local paper, but am sick of all the newspapers piling up (I recycle).

So what do you all think. If they could put something out there like this for under $400 with internet browsing and everything possible, how likely would you be to buy? What if it only did magazines and not Windows, but they sold it super cheap, kind of like cell phone companies do with their phones?
    Thread is open for your thoughts..................

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Latest news on Tablets

Would Apple include ports/support for external keyboards/desk mounts? As much fun as reading can be part of the appeal for me would be computer in a screen functionality so that it could be used without needing a complete docking station but I would not want to waste real estate on the screen to type in some circumstances.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I assume the pic is an artist's rendition, because otherwise it looks like a super-sized iPod...

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
        I assume the pic is an artist's rendition, because otherwise it looks like a super-sized iPod...
        Of course it is just some fanboys rendering. There is not 1 single word about even the possibility of a tablet from apple. Just everyone dreaming. The other companies though mostly have working prototypes.

There are lots of other dream pictures out there:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

As much as I want to love these ideas--particularly the Apple Tablet--the price tag of it and any of the other vaporware tablets mentioned will be way too high for it to be adopted in any meaningful way. Ebook readers are at least $250. These will be at least $1000. Are you really going to spend that much money on a tablet to read magazines, comics or books on? If you move past all the glitz and consider how you would use it in a typical day, does it really make sense? Don't forget to factor in that a fully charged device isn't likely to last a full days worth of heavy use, so it's not like you can just take this thing with you like you would a magazine, at least not without bringing along a charger.
          Twisted Firestarter
          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
          sigpic

Comment

But what about taking one to class instead of a notebook? People plug their notebooks in all day long in class and at the library. This would probably have some kind of onscreen keyboard like the Iphone, and it will just pop up into view when you need it. Since it is multi-touch, would let you type just like you do on a normal keyboard.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              But what about taking one to class instead of a notebook? People plug their notebooks in all day long in class and at the library. This would probably have some kind of onscreen keyboard like the Iphone, and it will just pop up into view when you need it. Since it is multi-touch, would let you type just like you do on a normal keyboard.
              But if bringing it to class to take notes is your primary use case, why wouldn't you just use a laptop instead? Not to mention the fact that touch typing on a virtual keyboard is impossible, so taking anything but the most rudimentary notes on it would be frustrating.

There are some use cases where a tablet would do really well. If it had a built-in webcam, being able to use it for video skype or iChat would be excellent, particularly if you could get these services over 3G.

In the end, it's not really about the hardware anyway, it's about the software and the user experience it provides. The iPhone and Android phones are perfect examples. Why do Android phones lag so far behind iPhones in sales? It's not because of the hardware, which is very similar in form factor for the two devices. It's the user experience provided by the OS. The iPhone UX is far and away the better of the two. I think Microsoft's Courier tablet concept is a great example of a solid, focused UX for a tablet.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI[/media]
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

Well Fusion Garage just had their press conference to explaine their side of things, and give everyone a look at the actual tablet. All the pictures show it looking like the screen is green, but he says it is just the camera they used and the screen looks normal. It is pretty much a full web browser, plus whatever other apps come out. But price is expected around $500.

Posting different links so you can read the other reader comments.

Fusion Garage's 'Crunchpad' Unveiling Liveblog

Fusion Garage CrunchPad video conference liveblog

Fusion Garage JooJoo tablet rises from the ashes of the CrunchPad

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

So, instead of this

we get this

Also, could have have hired someone that didn't look like an alien out of Star Trek to do the product release?
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

That is the guy that actually created it, and he did it because the head of Techcrunch was saying things, and this guy is trying to set the record strait about what really happened. He might not be pretty, but his brain must be.

The only thing I really see wrong with the interview is the stupid camera. What were they thinking. So many people are going to be confused about the green screen look.
                    I'm just waiting for Engadget and others to get their hands on time and give an actual report before deciding.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

New stuff this morning:

Major media giants to form joint venture for digital future, says WSJ

and

Engadget got their hands on time with the Joojoo:
                      Joojoo tablet hands-on (video)
                      It looks interesting, but I'm a bit disappointed by the not very sensitive touch screen. It is still very early in its life, so could get a lot better. The best pictures of the thing are actually the last 2 in the photo gallery at the link where it shows CNN.com

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Gizmodo has their hands on, and it has better pictures than the engadget one.

Fusion Garage JooJoo Tablet Hands-On

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

More just posted:
                          Joojoo tablet gets its first batch of press shots, $30 dock accesory

And the gallery is worth a look at the official pics.
                          Looks really good running Avatar.............

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Engadget just posted a video with a concept of what magazines on a tablet might look like soon:
                            Mag+ digital magazine concept makes e-readers cower with envy (video!)

I would buy my subscriptions like that if it was possible. I really like the idea of being able to cut out sections and save them for later, as that is what my wife and I do now. No point in keeping a mag stuck in a box and you forget about the 1 or 2 articles you wanted to save for later.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

More speculation on Apple's tablet, if it hasn't been posted already.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/App..._tablet&xtcr=1
                              [squadl]
                              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X