TG Fantasy Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Fantasy Rig

Alright, so am I getting ready to order parts for a completely new rig, and I am hoping I can get some good advice on parts that could give me a bang for my buck. Budget is not a concern, but I don't wanna pay $1000+ for a part when a $450 one does just as good.

What do you think should be in this sexy rig?

Monitor:
    Case:
    PSU:
    Motherboard:
    CPU/Cooling device:
    Video Card:
    Sound Card(This is for you Jeepo!):
    RAM:
    Headphones:
    Keyboard:

Everything else I already have, or I don't think I need. If you have anything else that you would like to add would be a great help. I'll be ordering the parts on Monday.

Re: TG Fantasy Rig

All links go to newegg for simplicity, not for best price. Since there was no information about use or any needed specifics, I'm just guessing.

Monitor: Not sure depends on your want for size and resolution, I would look for 1080p over 21 inches from asus, samsung, or the like
    Case: Thermaltake Element V (full tower for that GPU)
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s
    CPU: i7 860
    CPU Cooling device: XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE with bracket Could also look at Corsair H50 CPU Cooler for some water cooling action
    Video Card: Easy choice XFX 5870
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (could go more here if you wanted or needed to)
    Headphones: RAZER Carcharias
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 The standard gaming keyboards
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Thanks for the links, Reap. I'll add these to the wish-list.

Oh, and sorry for this stupid question(but I gotta ask anyway), but is all of this compatible with one another?

Comment

Note that with Logitech/Saitek and the Razer Tarantula the keys with be "mushy" so if you want a good "click" when you press a key you'll have to get something else. Most people don't care but I kinda wish I had got a Razer Lycosa or something with less "mushy" keys then my G11.

Comment

Everything looks good, I suggest hitting Bamboo up with a PM to have a look at this too...

As for Headphones, I got these the other day.....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/periph...tal-Headset/p1

absolutely AMAZING and I have been through MANY headsets of all brands, from creative to medusa to Razer, and theses are by far the best. If they are hard to get in the USA I believe that Tritton are the same product with a different brand outside of the EU....

Soundcard: Read THIS. Sort the results by score. However, I always go for creative, sure the drivers can be a little fiddly, but when they are good to go...WOW! The reason I recommend Creative is that they offer EAX 5.0, something no other brand is ALLOWED to offer. I have had 2 different creative cards and a RAZER AC1 card, and they both blow the expensive razer card out of the water due to EAX. My recommendation and my current card is this one

Comment

Nice timing. I'm poking with specs myself. So far...

i7 920 / Asus P6T combo ................................ $ 514
            Corsair H50 (first time water cooler for me) ..... $ 78
            Enermax 720W .............................................. $ 50 after instant and mail in rebates

Not sure about graphics card myself yet but it will be Nvidia.

I hear a lot of people looking at solid state drives, at least for the OS load. The idea is speed. I haven't spec'd one but am looking for deals.

Comment

All, good, but I prefer this logitech keyboard over the v2 G15's, personally.

G110: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...26087&Tpk=g110
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                All, good, but I prefer this logitech keyboard over the v2 G15's, personally.

G110: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...26087&Tpk=g110
                I have an older version of this Saitek Eclipse keyboard. The key action is fast and solid, and it has built in lighting in case you like to game in a darker ambiance.

Comment

@Boot

Hexus.net just posted this:

Corsair explains: how to install the Hydro Series H50 CPU cooler

Might come in handy.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well, I'll be ordering the parts today. All I need to do now is play the waiting game and the "Oh I hope the parts aren't DOA" game.

Oh, and sorry for not giving more information in the original post. I was looking for a a good desktop that could handle current and up coming games with ease, as well as last for the next couple of years.

Wish me luck.

Comment

What did you go with?

Comment

I still need to get home from class first... ;)

But I'll most likely go with Reaper's suggestions and Jeep's headset/sound card. I don't want to tinker around with water cooling just yet. I'm not that experienced, and I don't trust myself enough to be playing with cold water near an electrical device..:)
                        Last edited by Axis_Sniper; 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Good choices (a couple of which I also made on my recent build). I have to recommend the H50 CPU cooler - it was easy to install and runs very quiet, just a faint pump sound when the case side is off. Also, you can save $90 and go with the i5-750. Although, you did say budget isn't a concern...
                          |TG|Melee
                          Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

yeah without budget concern I thought the higher clock and hyperthreading would be worth it
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Thanks for the help guys...One last question though, the reason I didn't ask for a Hard drive choice is because I am planning on using the ones I currently have(I have a lot of irreplaceable data and I'm not sure if it can mirror an image. I am probably gonna buy a 1TB external hard drive...)

Actually, if I do buy a SSD and purchase a 64x bit OS for it, can I use the old hard drive without it causing issues with the SSD?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X