New build problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build problems

I just put together a new build on a GA-P55-UD4P and have run into a couple of problems:

1. Screen is blank - it has power and the fan on the card is spinning, but there is no image. Therefore I don't even know if the mobo is booting.
    2. Fans don't spin up - they are all plugged into the 4-pin connectors on the mobo. Given that, do they require the mobo to instruct them to start whereas on a 3-pin they would spin simply because they are receiving power?

Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: New build problems

Simple question - is the mobo power led active.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

sounds to me like one of the power cords to the MB are not plugged in.....double check that both are plugged in
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
        Simple question - is the mobo power led active.
        Yep. And I've made progress...moved the RAM from 1st and 3rd slots to 2nd and 4th, so now it posts.

Any insight on the case fans issue?
        Last edited by Melee; 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM.
        |TG|Melee

Comment

If your case fans are plugged into your mobo, then your mobo would regulate when they would turn on/spin up/down, etc. Some boards will slowly spin a fan then rev up when temperature spikes. Others won't even start the fans spinning until your internal ambient case temperature goes above a certain point. It all depends on the individual mobo.

Otherwise, if your fans are connected via the 4-pin molex (the white ones) leading from your PSU, check to make sure there is power going from the PSU lead to the fan (maybe you left out a plug somewhere along the way or something else along that chain is drawing most of the juice thus not leaving enough to power up the fans).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Otherwise, if your fans are connected via the 4-pin molex (the white ones) leading from your PSU, check to make sure there is power going from the PSU lead to the fan
            Different mobo, similar problem. I had all of my "aux" fans plugged into the mobo but did not have a fan plugged into the "cpu fan" on the mobo since I was using a Zalman cooler that was 4 pin vs the "cpu fan" 3 pin. Once I hooked up a 3 pin fan to that lead in a temporary position it allowed the mobo to fire up and then I was able to change the requirement for the "cpu fan" required to start in the bios settings. It may be a safety valve setting on the board. Possible...

Comment

My Corsair PSU is modular, so I found the appropriate molex connector for the case fans and all is good.

Thanks for your help, guys. You were far more responsive than the other two tech sites I also posted at.
              |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...