No announcement yet.

Laptop or Netbook (Which should i get?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop or Netbook (Which should i get?)

Ok, I have recently came into the possession of some money around $350.00

I am thinking about buying an Netbook or an Laptop. But I am unsure what to get

If i get an Laptop/netbook I will most likely use it for some gaming (Indie Titles off Steam and Star Dock), Reading PDFs, and keeping notes for Class/Game Sessions for my D&D Group.

With that in mind what should i get?

If you have links to an good laptop or Net book please post them bellow.

And when he get to heaven,
    To Saint Peter he will tell;
    One more soldier reporting sir
    I've serve my time in hell

Re: Laptop or Netbook (Which should i get?)

I bought my son the Asus netbook for school because its ultimately more portable, weighing less than three pounds and having a real time battery life over 10 hours. I haven't tried to use it for any types of games but web browsing and video both play well. I'm afraid that your budget would preclude a system that would allow unfettered game play but I don't know the requirements of the one your most interested in following.

Try here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link...=Asus%20HA1000

I, also, selected the 1.66mhz model and updated the memory to 2 gigs.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Most of your activities seem to be pretty processor light, so I'd compromise in that area if need be to try and get one with a newer AMD/Nvidia integrated graphics chip rather than intel.

If you are unsure about what size screen keyboard would work for you, go to a retail store(bestbuy) to just try them out as they usually have lots of models to demo. Don't let them sucker you into buying it there though.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Laptop. Don't even bother with the netbook unless your gaming involves games that are quite a few years old (like 5+) and you don't mind playing it on a smaller screen (if you're used to desktop monitors, it'll take a while to get used to).

I know a few here might start suggesting the Ion-based netbooks, but if you're going to dish out $500-$600 on a netbook, you might as well spend another $100 or so and get a laptop that you can actually game on.

Netbooks no matter how you play it are not a gaming machines. Those 10-inch/11.6-inch/12-inch screens are way too small for that 1366 x 768 resolution (text looks tinny). The Atom CPU is still nada compared to a full-fledged CPU. Yes, battery life is pretty darn good at about 5+ hours, but if you can get a laptop with a 9-cell battery, your battery life is just as good.

If you're not looking towards gaming, a netbook would be great portable work computer. Otherwise, trust me, most current indie games won't even run well on most netbooks.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would agree that if I had over $500 to spend on a system, I'd find a good laptop and I've seen several for sale recently.
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
            I would agree that if I had over $500 to spend on a system, I'd find a good laptop and I've seen several for sale recently.
            Can you post the links???

I might be able to get my school grant to pay for one.
            And when he get to heaven,
            To Saint Peter he will tell;
            One more soldier reporting sir
            I've serve my time in hell

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220636

Here's the first one I've found so far. I'm still looking for the advertisements that I saw but they may have been Black Friday adds.
              Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I'd suggest you check out the system requirements for the games you are thinking of playing on it as a starting point.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I bought two netbooks at Costco recently - the Acer ones. Both were fine for doing email and even development, but I returned them both.
                  The first one had a tiny 10" screen, and the second one had a bigger screen 11.6" but was real slow.

I ended up getting an Acer Timeline 3810TZ for ~$600 that has a 13" screen and a single core low-voltage processor. It struggles with HD video, but everything else is very nice to use. The battery life is an amazing 8h. I run 64-bit Windows 7 on it.
                  I am very happy with that thing.

Comment

I chose a netbook for the following reasons...

1) lightweight
                    2) low cost -- I wanted an inexpensive (i.e. < $400) way to access the web.
                    3) battery life -- I don't want to sit with a charger so I wanted 5+ hours.

I wasn't as concerned about processing power since this was a web-access machine. If you want gaming you may need to look at a laptop. I'd also say that netbooks are more powerful now than when I bought mine.

Also Dell just came out with a new rig...
                    http://gizmodo.com/5421211/vostro-v1...-ultraportable
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

The 11.3 screens use the z520 or similar and only tap about 1.3mhz just slow by any measure. I researched all the netbooks - Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc and at the end of the day the Asus 'books came out ahead at the end of the summer and did not opt for the small SSD version for two reasons - capacity and power use. The SSD draws current whenever the 'book is on and the traditional drive does not, so it can be used and then left in stand-by mode from the time my son gets to school until he gets home so that it's ready to use constantly all day and he doesn't have to switch it on and off to conserve battery and has a real 10+ hour battery life. Keyboard is compact but at 92% full size its easy and comfortable to use (even for me).

There were 12" screens that were a lot stronger but price and battery life took big hits and at 5 lbs just added unnecessary weight to an already overweight backpack. The less expensive laptops use Intel graphics and for gaming, I would want a Nvidia m class gpu and price takes another substantial hit. Gaming laptops start at about $750 or $800 although I still don't know the requirements for D&D, I'd think this was more than you had in mind. There are good 15" laptops in the same price range as the top netbooks

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS...301261&sr=8-10

This one might service your needs

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1005HA-PU...0301165&sr=8-1

Or this one

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...3-_-circuit183

This is the one I'd get if I was buying it today and I'd upgrade the mem to 2 gb.
                      Last edited by LpBronco; 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM.
                      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CODE=WEM2115TT

One more possibility
                        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse