Buildling a new computer and need some advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buildling a new computer and need some advice

It's time to build a new computer because I just can't enjoy ARMA II without making some changes. I have my own thoughts on what I would like to do, but wanted some feedback from members about their thoughts on what to include in the build. I have read a good number of reviews to get caught up on things, but wanted some input from people like me who actually game with the hardware on a daily basis. I am leaning towards an intel i5-750 for the cpu because it appears to be a decent cpu and under $200. I have no idea what a good call would be for the graphics card set up. I was considering the nVidia GTX 295 because I have always run a single card in the past, but I would like to know what others think about running the system in SLI/Crossfire.

My current thoughts-
    i5-750, about 800 watt psu, 8gb of ram (probably ddr3), nVidia gtx 295

Thanks ahead of time. seg[TDev]

Re: Buildling a new computer and need some advice

A total price and per item price goal would be nice to know what to work with as some recommendations are based on other items in the build.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

You should read my sticky in the ARMA2 tech help forum:
      Upgrading For ArmA 2? - Recommended Specs and Advice!

That was from early summer or spring, so some stuff has changed with i5, but most of it holds true still. ( need to update it)
      Snooggums is right though, how much are you looking to spend. With i5 you can get away decently cheap, depending on Gfx. card. But right now I would say the Gfx card would be the big show stopper, with the next gen Nvidia being so late and the new ATI 5870 being so hard to find and over priced due to shortage.

The current gen gfx. cards are ok, but as demanding as ARMA2 is, I would save my money till after the new year.

And I'm not sure the 295 works well in ARMA. You will have to find some reviews. ARMA 1 didn't like SLI (which is how the 295 works), but ARMA 2 may run it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

This is what I just built and am happy with it.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Deluxe P55 1366

Graphic Card: XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5 (with free Dirt2 game)

Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC (held over from last build)

DVD: LG GH22NS50 22XDVD-RW SATA

Sound: onboard

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC

CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552 92mm CPU Cooler For Intel Socket LGA1156

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (really like this case)

The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
          A total price and per item price goal would be nice to know what to work with as some recommendations are based on other items in the build.
          Right now the options I have looked into put the whole set up at anywhere from $1300 to $1950 for tower and hardware only. No monitor, keyboard or mouse needed.

Tower no particular brand at about $100
          CPU i5-750 at about $199-I read a review on Tom's Hardware that said you could OC the i5-750 to perform similar to i7-975 and that's why I am leaning towards the intel chip.
          PSU no particular brand 800w at about $125
          Cooling fan for CPU again no particular brand at about $50-would rather not water cool but will if it means a better machine.
          Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD6 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard at about $250
          Stock sound
          Video- nVidia GTX 295 1.7 GB at $509 or sli or crossfire
          HDD- 1.5 TB Sata II 3GB/s 32 mb cache 72000 rpm no paricular brand but saw a Seagate for $120
          CD/DVD- LG 22x $31
          Memory-6 to 8 gb- Kingston 8gb DDR3/1600 mHz at $244

I have used both Intel and AMD chips, nVidia and Radeon in the past and don't have any loyalty to any brand. My last computer had a nVidia 7800 gtx, amd 64 athlon +3700 san diego core cpu, 2 gb OCZ memory, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Motherboard (OC friendly for sure- which I liked, but I didn't OC things very much because it has run every game smoothly except ARMA II and Vegas 2). I have enjoyed L4D without any hitches. I haven't picked up L4D2 yet but will more than likely play it in the future. I am open to any thoughts.

Thanks Bamboo-
          I mostly play ArmA II at the moment but on a limited basis because my machine doesn't run the game well. So anything that runs ARMA good is going to be in the mix and if ArmA doesn't run well in SLI forget it.

Kin3 thanks for the reply and Roll Tide.

Comment

Your list so far is looking good and is pretty accurate. But I would look around at other motherboards as there are lots in the $150-$200 range, unless that board has some kind of thing you like. There are even some USB 3.0 and SATA 3 boards that are under $200.

When did you want to do this build?

You also might want to read this thread we just had:
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ny-2-help.html

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Make sure you get dual channel DDR3 ram as that board does not support tri channel!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                Make sure you get dual channel DDR3 ram as that board does not support tri channel!
                Is there an advantage to tri channel because if so I can change it. I need to look at the cpu, can I use tri channel memory with the i5? I think the UD5 does but the UD6 doesn't?
                Last edited by seg[TDev]; 12-11-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Your list so far is looking good and is pretty accurate. But I would look around at other motherboards as there are lots in the $150-$200 range, unless that board has some kind of thing you like. There are even some USB 3.0 and SATA 3 boards that are under $200.

When did you want to do this build?
                  No hurries on the computer, but the sooner the better. I did see a few boards with sata III, usb 3.0 that would support sli at up to three video cards. I just arbitrarily picked that motherboard because the price range was what I wanted to spend.

Comment

I am still in the dark about how solid my choice is for the cpu and video card? Outside of ArmA II not running well with SLI are there any advantages of running a computer with 2 video cards?

Comment

Most of us don't use dual cards (crossfire or SLI), as there just isn't enough benefit to justify the price.

The 295 you mention above is $500, while the just as good single ATI 5870 is in the $400s, and will be dropping in price soon once more get in stock, and then drop even more when Nvidia releases. Which is why we are wondering when you will be doing this build.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by seg[TDev] View Post
                        Is there an advantage to tri channel because if so I can change it. I need to look at the cpu, can I use tri channel memory with the i5? I think the UD5 does but the UD6 doesn't?
                        you would need to look up test results or benchmarks to see the difference, I am also nearly sure that the new socket i5 and i7 only use dual channel and not tri, Asus top of the line i5 boards seem to only use dual channel.

Comment

you would need to look up test results or benchmarks to see the difference, I am also nearly sure that the new socket i5 and i7 only use dual channel and not tri, Asus top of the line i5 boards seem to only use dual channel.

Here is an article-

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...=expert&pid=12

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            Most of us don't use dual cards (crossfire or SLI), as there just isn't enough benefit to justify the price.

The 295 you mention above is $500, while the just as good single ATI 5870 is in the $400s, and will be dropping in price soon once more get in stock, and then drop even more when Nvidia releases. Which is why we are wondering when you will be doing this build.
                            That makes since.

Comment

You guys know alot more about this than I do. I thought I read somewhere that the x58 chipset with the i7 processor allows you the option of using a single, dual or tri channel when used with the proper motherboard. You and Bamboo have really got me thinking that maybe I should move up to the i7 920 and buy the tri channel memory and maybe spend a little less on the video card to make up for it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X