Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU......

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU without having to buy a new MOBO at this point. Here's what I have and what do you suggest:

XFX 780i SLI MOBO 775 socket
    Currently have an E8400 3.0 clocked to 3.5

What would be the best CPU I could put in this MOBO?
    "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
    "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Re: I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU......

Mediator that isn't the right question to ask. This socket is the single most supported socket and it comes down to how much money you want to spend but for the sake of discussion, I'll limit your choices to the price of an I7 and the price of another motherboard although you won't achieve the overall performance increases possible with the newer tech.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115130

Wow, I haven't been keeping up as I had seen this processor priced off the scale. Make sure your mobo supports the bus speed and this would be my choice Q9650, FTW. I believe I had seen it listed for $1500 when I first considered an I7 build.

My mistake, its the QX series that's priced off the scale (QX9650, 9770, and 9775) and the manufacturers supported list includes this processor but check your BIOS revision before installation.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I would agree with the post above. Your overclocking ability is going to be limited pretty severely by your motherboard so I'd go for something reasonably fast like that Q9650.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking that an E8400 at 3.5 Ghz is pretty great. Why upgrade?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Easy decision, quad performance in ArmA2 and OFP: DR.
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
            Easy decision, quad performance in ArmA2 and OFP: DR.
            I play ArmA2 on fairly decent settings with my E6400 @ 2.8 Ghz. What I'm trying to determine is whether Mediator's CPU upgrade is really worth it. Maybe there's another thread where a bottleneck was figured out but I don't know that. It's possible a CPU upgrade won't do much if the GPU is the bottleneck or becomes a bottleneck after a CPU upgrade.

The other case is ArmA2 doesn't put quad core as an optimal system requirement. So upgrading just for a slight boost in that game and maybe a bigger boost in Dragon Rising isn't really worth that much. It might be better to save up and move to a newer socket with a quad CPU when it's really needed.

Comment

I have E8400 @ 3.0 GHz stock and I can play OFP: DR at medium-ish settings without a hiccup. I don't see how a quad-core is going to drastically improve your in-game performance (a graphics card upgrade might be a better option). Can't speak for ArmA2 as I don't own it.

Right now beyond some development apps, games really aren't using quad-cores up to potential yet. Games coming out now are only just requiring dual-cores.

If Med really wants a CPU upgrade, a C2Q would be the best option. As for overclocking potential, the Q6600 is a favorite over at OCN.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

All the recent Bioware games (ME, DA:O, ME2) use quads, so will the frosbite engine from DICE (BF:BC2, BF1943)

For overclock potential I'll take a 45nm part like the Q9550 over the 65nm Q6600. I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a Q9550 myself. MicroCenter has the best deal around if you can pick it up in store or have a buddy pick it up for you.
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

It's not like those games wouldn't run well on dual cores either. I think at this point, quad cores are for really high end gaming systems. For this upgrade, moving to quad core and still having an older generation video card seems like an unnecessary upgrade.

It would be good to know if Mediator has a game that is running poorly now. Then we can determine if a CPU upgrade is really worth it. Or maybe the upgrade is for something else. Upgrading just because there's extra cash isn't really worth it. It would be better used for an upgrade later when it's really needed. If it really is just because there's extra cash, I think there would be some cooler upgrades like a bigger monitor.

Comment

He's running a GTX275 XFX video card, hardly an antique and there are other reasons to maximize the cpu besides games. Enthusiasts in pursuit of optimized performance do enjoy the quicker load times and other features that the quad brings to the table. Further,why else would you choose a 775 board other than its been the single most supported board and his board is feature rich and worth maintaining and upgrading.
                    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

For load time improvements, I would say a SSD is a much better purchase. A quad core isn't going to improve loading much. It's more for processing a lot of data and we still don't know what Mediator really wants to do with this upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
                        He's running a GTX275 XFX video card, hardly an antique and there are other reasons to maximize the cpu besides games. Enthusiasts in pursuit of optimized performance do enjoy the quicker load times and other features that the quad brings to the table. Further,why else would you choose a 775 board other than its been the single most supported board and his board is feature rich and worth maintaining and upgrading.
                        I can state one other obvious reason: it's far cheaper to afford than a i7 or i5 board.

I haven't been keeping up with the C2Qs, so if the Q9xxx whatever up there is the current OC favorite, then go for it.

Sarc didn't know what card Mediator is using, so I'm sure several of us assumed he had a older generation card.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I kind of thought the card was something in the GTX series. The build doesn't sound that old. I'm guessing it's probably a year old or so. It just seems like an unnecessary CPU upgrade. I stand by my recommendation of waiting to switch to a newer socket and go i5 or i7. It was good to start a build with socket 775 but that doesn't mean the next upgrade has to be a socket 775 CPU. I've been using my E6400 for 3 years and it was nice to have the option to upgrade my CPU during that time. It doesn't mean I will upgrade to a better Core 2. If I had an E8400, I probably wouldn't upgrade for another couple of years.

Unless there's a better reason to move to quad core like crunching numbers or winning the lottery, I think gaming will be great with dual cores. It's not like quad core is part of minimum requirements or even optimal requirements on many games.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                            I play ArmA2 on fairly decent settings with my E6400 @ 2.8 Ghz. What I'm trying to determine is whether Mediator's CPU upgrade is really worth it. Maybe there's another thread where a bottleneck was figured out but I don't know that. It's possible a CPU upgrade won't do much if the GPU is the bottleneck or becomes a bottleneck after a CPU upgrade.

The other case is ArmA2 doesn't put quad core as an optimal system requirement. So upgrading just for a slight boost in that game and maybe a bigger boost in Dragon Rising isn't really worth that much. It might be better to save up and move to a newer socket with a quad CPU when it's really needed.
                            The GPU is not the problem... I have an EVGA 275GTX. Bronco was speaking on why HE thought I wanted the boost. DR has nothing to do with the upgrage at all. It plays just fine and every other game I have does to but in Arma2 it's bit different. I only get about 25FPS in arma but can get crazy FPS in other games.

I have talked with other folks who said they did nothing but upgrade there CPU from a dual to a quad and noticed a significant difference in FPS and overall performance of the computer.

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                            I would agree with the post above. Your overclocking ability is going to be limited pretty severely by your motherboard so I'd go for something reasonably fast like that Q9650.
                            How do you figure my overclocking ability will be limited by this MOBO??? I have used it to overclock my current CPU. It's actually a board built for gaming not that there aren't better MOBOs out there.

Bronco basically hit the nail on the head with what he said in his second post. Overall performance will be better along with FPS.

The build is not that old and I wouldn't want to upgrade the MOBO at this point. That will be further down the road. I just want to upgrade the CPU in a couple of months.
                            "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
                            "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

The Intel chipsets are much better overclockers than the Nvidia's. You still have a nice board, it just won't clock as well as a P45 or an X48. On the other hand, the ability to run SLI might be more valuable to you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X