• New phone from Google

found this on Drudge

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091214/D9CIPAIO0.html
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: New phone from Google

More details

I for one am excited. Was thinking about a Droid, but would have to pay an ETF with ATT to get one. If I can get a cheap data plan I'll definitely be getting one.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The worlds favorite nerdy news source, endgadget, has a few articles on it in the last two days:
      http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/13/t...-what-we-dont/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/h...and-att-huspa/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/e...ndroid-2-1-on/

So it looks like verizon and sprint are going to be SOL for getting the US's first Snapdragon-powered Android device, seeing as the FCC has only approved this for data use on T-Mobile and AT&T's 3G bands.

Comment

Leaked pricing details here.

If these details are correct, then it looks like many of the rumors were proven too good to be true :(

I planned on getting one of these, but I don't think it's worth that much money -- especially since I make less than 20 calls and texts in a typical month -- just for the neat apps and internet access.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

you make less than 20 calls and texts in a month? wow. I do that much calling/texting before lunch.

OT: I'm getting one as soon as they make it available. Looks like Jan 5th plus shipping time!

Comment

That's pricey considering one of the the benefits of an unlocked phone are pretty null since it only works on EDGE on ATT. You only get 3G from TMo, so what's the point right?

Eighty dollars a months is pretty steep in my book. Why can't there be just a cheap data plan? That's all I want.

Maybe I'll just stick with my semi-smartphone. It's last me 2 years, what's a few more?

Comment

80 bucks a month is steep? HA! If you're on ATT, which you appear to be, go check out their pricing plans for the iphone. Just be prepared to pick your jaw up off the floor, considering you think 80 bucks is high. 80 bucks is actually very reasonable for unlimited everything.

Also, the benefits really arent null if you have TMO, or are a developer. Thats kinda the point of the nexus one. This really isnt a mass consumer phone. It's more a developer phone that you can kinda get subsidized.

Comment

Some hope for those of us on ATT.

If there's a 3G version for ATT I will most likely be getting one as I wouldn't have to pay the ETF.

Comment

Once again, if you have ATT and are wanting a next-gen smartphone, just wait. Much is going to happen 1st-quarter of 2010. There WILL be a droid ATT phone and there will be 4G. Patience.

What I'm unclear on is if the droid ATT phone will indeed be 4G. We shall see. Anyways, I purposely didnt fall for any of this holiday broo-haha or these really nice celly deals because I was told by an ATT exec. to wait until February to do anything. That, and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                    That, and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
                    I wasn't going to put in stock in what you said until this sentence. Now I know it's true. :icon_cool
                    The Old Guy
                    kin3
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                      Once again, if you have ATT and are wanting a next-gen smartphone, just wait. Much is going to happen 1st-quarter of 2010. There WILL be a droid ATT phone and there will be 4G. Patience.

What I'm unclear on is if the droid ATT phone will indeed be 4G. We shall see. Anyways, I purposely didnt fall for any of this holiday broo-haha or these really nice celly deals because I was told by an ATT exec. to wait until February to do anything. That, and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

What's the awesome-ness factor on this phone? Also I wonder what ATT will charge for the plan. If it's anything like the plan for Iphone customers, screw that.

Comment

Personally, I think ATT needs to fix their existing problems before they get into new phones and upgrading to 4G...you know, like the fact that they STOPPED selling iphones in NYC because the network couldnt handle additional load (it shuts down frequently anyway, as does the 3g network in san francisco and denver).

As for the awesomeness factor on this phone: comes pre-unlocked, so no having to pay a fee or waiting for your carrier to allow you to unlock it (usually only for switching carriers or international travel). it's also preloaded with a developer backend (the fastboot command lists are RIDICULOUS). oh, and it's got a 1ghz snapdragon processor, which is almost double what the droid has (you dont even want to know how badly it crushes the iphone). theres lots of other goodies. i'll post full specs on everything tomorrow after they release it all at the press conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                          What's the awesome-ness factor on this phone? Also I wonder what ATT will charge for the plan. If it's anything like the plan for Iphone customers, screw that.
                          Snapdragon. Plain and simple.
                          It has a proc. faster than many people now have in their laptops... in a frakkin PHONE.
                          Regardless, the droid OS is inherently faster than Iphone or BB. Speed kills.

And as far as Edge vs. 3G... I'm fairly sure today's current crop of smartphones (aside from the droid's perhaps) couldnt fully take advantage of wider bandwidth even if they wanted to. This is why many phones on the shelf still arent 3G. What's the point? Go take your laptop on a 3G network and compare it to your Iphone's and see which is quicker. Then switch your laptop to Edge and leave your Iphone on 3G and repeat; laptop still quicker.

Imo, Iphone's 3GS and Motorola's Droid are the only phones worth even having on a 3G network (barely). The new BB Bold comes close, but it's the slowest of the 3... most people just buy them because of the businessey-ness of 'em and for email push. And email push is pretty much rendered obsolete by newer smartphones anyways, so meh.

Essentially, the big telecoms have gotten much of America to buy into these expensive 3G dataplans on phones that cant fully realize them... all on 2+ year contracts that cant have upgraded phones until like what? a year after purchase?

So yah... I'll wait a bit

Comment

The biggest pull is the developer access. They rooted the nexus one...already. Its not even being sold yet. This means that 5 seconds after I get one, I have root and dev access. Simply put, without developer access, I couldnt be sitting in the minneapolis airport right now using my laptop tethered to my G1 at 3G speeds, allowing me to bypass the crappy wifi the airport makes you PAY for.

Comment

Review from Engadget

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X