Copmuter shuts down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copmuter shuts down?

I have a computer that out of nowhere just shuts down like someone turned the power off. I ordered a cheap psu to rule out my existing power supply, but wanted to know if anyone else has faced this problem or at least help me find the source of it. This problem is very fickle and I have had a hard time actually replicating what triggers it. Sometimes I will play ArmA II for an hour and the thing just goes dead, while other times Windows will not even get completely loaded at boot up and the thing shuts down. My point is that I have tried to replicate what I might be doing to trigger the shut down, but it is very sporadic. I decided to boot the computer with only the mobo and main hdd connected and it ran for a while and shut down. I have changed out memory sticks and the computer still shuts down also. I tried to boot the system with every piece of hardware connected by itself and the system still will shut down. The point of this was to rule out any piece of hardware that might be the problem, which I think I have excluding the psu or cpu. I cleaned out all the dust in the computer and graphics card. Something is making the computer just turn off on its own. I thought it might be either the power supply or the cpu, but am not sure. I am going to try the new psu tonight. Any thoughts on what to do if that doesn't work?

Re: Copmuter shuts down?

What are the specs of this system?
    (One cheap PSU for another for a demanding system doesn't rule out the old PSU.)

How old is the computer?
    (One possible cause is a failing, or dead, CMOS battery. They typically last about 5 years. At which point they need to be replaced.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      (One cheap PSU for another for a demanding system doesn't rule out the old PSU.)
      A power issue is the most probable cause when things go flaky (PSU, or mobo regulators).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

What are the specs of this system?

How old is the computer?
        (One possible cause is a failing, or dead, CMOS battery. They typically last about 5 years. At which point they need to be replaced.)
        The system was build about 5 years ago. AMD 64 Athlon chip 3700 San Diego core, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Motherboard, 2 gb of OCZ ram, Seagate HDD, nVidia 7800gtx vid card, Seasonic s12 500w psu. I am building a new computer and will not be gaming on this one much longer. I just wanted a psu in there that would allow the system to start up and load windows. I figured a cheap psu was the better option than the cost associated with testing the original psu. I put a 580w vanilla psu in there yesterday, downloaded the new ACE mod for ArmA II and played online for about an hour. The computer didn't shut off and seems to be running well. Basically this computer will be used to store my photos and music so the low end psu will probably be fine for the computer's new purpose. I will change out the CMOS battery. At the time of posting I thought the processor might be the problem, but wasn't sure how to test it.

Comment

That's weird, usually Seasonic's don't fail. They're very reliable and are considered a standard in the PSU industry. If it does end up being the PSU, get in touch with Seasonic and see if you can RMA your old one for a replacement. Their old PSUs came with limited lifetime warranties (double check with Seasonic first). Especially since yours was pretty high-end 5 years ago.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That's weird, usually Seasonic's don't fail. They're very reliable and are considered a standard in the PSU industry. If it does end up being the PSU, get in touch with Seasonic and see if you can RMA your old one for a replacement. Their old PSUs came with limited lifetime warranties (double check with Seasonic first). Especially since yours was pretty high-end 5 years ago.
            I agree-But they probably won't RMA it because I took the "void warranty" sticker off to blow out an dust inside of it when it shut down. I had noticed recently that upon boot up all my icons on in windows were on the left of the screen and not where I normally keep them. This has happened both with the old psu and the new one. I still don't know alot of things about computers, so I was wondering if that was something the CMOS battery handled? Anyway, the new psu was only $35 so if it is not the source of the problem only wasted a few lunches out at work.

Comment

If your system clock keeps giving you the wrong time as well, then the CMOS battery is most likely dead. Then you would need to replace battery.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X