The long winded upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The long winded upgrade

So for the holidays I was looking for santa to deliver a Q9550 to me. While talking to 'santa' I said that my old processor could be used in an HTPC or something similar. That got santa interested enough to ask me to spec out a build for a HTPC, santa isn't all that technically inclined apparently. So I start out looking for a new Mobo to fit my old E6750 and ended up picking a ZOTAC GF9300. I then picked out a HDD, RAM, PSU, and DVD drive. I already have an extra case so I'm good there. The TV tuner card was a bit more of a choice but I ended up going with Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250. Linux was going to be my OS of choice, I even had santa convinced.Everything was coming together nicely and then it hit me in the face, that was a lot of money for a Q9550 and that mobo, dare I say more than the cost of an i5 750 and a decent P55 mobo...

So I slept on it and waited till today to rebuild, I'm glad I did. For everyone who get the newegg email deals this one was a blessing to me. Has some good DDR3 on sale, good HDD on sale, PSU on sale. So now I'm looking at a combo of i5 750 with a Gigabyte P55A-UD3. Picking up the on sale RAM and the HDD and PSU. I can reuse my P5K-e, RAM, and E6750 and put in my 9800GT to provide way more power than necessary for santa and keep the GTX260 for me.

My build to be:
    i5 750 (new)
    Gigabyte P55A-UD3 (new)
    640GB WD HDD (current)
    160GB WD HDD (current)
    DVD burner (current)
    GTX260 (current)
    4GB DDR3 1600MHz (new)
    OCZ 700W PSU (current)
    NZXT case (current)
    Switch to Vista 64-bit

santa's HTPC:
    E6750 (current)
    Asus P5k-e (current)
    4GB DDR2 800MHz (current)
    640GB WD HDD (new)
    DVD burner (could possible go BR if santa wants to) (new)
    9800GT (old)
    CoolerMaster PSU (New)
    rosewill case (old)
    TV Tuner (new)
    Keeps Vista 32-bit

Its amazing that the current build costs less than the original idea I had.

There also happens to be a 52" Samsung LCD for just a bit over 1,000 that santa has been wanting.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: The long winded upgrade

Thanks for posting. I have been researching for what to build. I had settled on the i5 and your combo post for the mobo made newegg another sale. Thanks again.

Comment

Nice builds Reaper. You should be quite happy all the shiny new games you can now play at maximum settings. ;)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

One quick suggestion would be to do a good upgrade on the old 9800GT heatsink to either a fanless or near silent one, and upgrade any fans in the HTPC case to some high end near silent ones. Maybe something to quiet the CPU fan as well. Don't know if you are going to put it in a cabinet or what, but if it is in the living room a quiet as possible is every HTPC's dream.

You are going to post pictures if you get the Sammy hooked up right?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'll post some pics once I get everything set up. The HTPC will be in a cabinet under the TV area and I'm planning to downclock the 9800GT and reduce the fan speed just a bit to keep it quite during operation (it not like my mom is going to be doing any hard core gaming on that machine maybe sim city at the best), so it should be fine on noise. I just finished ordering parts and I did put in the BR player and I changed the TV tuner to the Asus model since the original card did not have a hardware encoder.

The samsung, although a great deal, will more than likely not happen but who knows...

Comment

hahahahahaha
            Reaper, I mean absolutly no disrespect and I am not flaming, but the whole time above when I'm reading your post and your talking Santa, I'm thinking santa = wife. Then when I read the post above this one you mention mom, and I am thinking......... interesting, he must have like a mother in law suite in his house......................
            Then I did a face palm when I saw your age.
            Crap I feel old now. :(

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

hahah, actually my mom isn't too much older than me (considering) but that is still rather funny,

Comment

Sounds like your mom is an awesome santa or you finally have a real job. :P

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well after averting a few Xmas desasters I finally got around to building the two machines. First I built my mom's PC which went well enough despite needing a little black magic to get things to work. I had to first get the system started using my GTX 260 and my 700w psu, after that I got the 9800gt plugged in and working and then switched over to the new psu and now everything works fine on that machine. With that squared away I had some time to put my parts together. The assembly went smooth even though I knew I would have to just pull everything out again to install the heatsink adapter when it gets here. I go to start it up and all the fans spin up fine and all looks well till my monitor goes black after a few seconds because it isn't getting any signial. I've tried both house just invade with no luck, I've tried all the RAM slots with all possible combinations of the two sticks I have. I've cleared the CMOS and disassembled and reassembled checking all the connections, I even tried using the x4 PCI-e slot with no luck. I do not have any idea what could be wrong but I am open to any ideas. Ugh triple edit because typing at 5 am on my Droid is hard.

Comment

I didn't look and maybe you tried this, does the MOBO have onboard video? Try that out before the video card.

I've heard building PC's can be a pain, I got lucky though and my new build fired right up without any problems.

Don't take my suggestion as an insult. I had a buddy who assembled his whole rig and then was up till 7 am the next morning trying to figure out why it wouldn't post. Turns out he didn't plug his CPU power in. :)

Good luck

Comment

When my system that should work decides not to, I find that taking it all the way apart and putting it back together sometimes fixes it.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Gungnir View Post
                        I didn't look and maybe you tried this, does the MOBO have onboard video? Try that out before the video card.

I've heard building PC's can be a pain, I got lucky though and my new build fired right up without any problems.

Don't take my suggestion as an insult. I had a buddy who assembled his whole rig and then was up till 7 am the next morning trying to figure out why it wouldn't post. Turns out he didn't plug his CPU power in. :)

Good luck
                        I've double checked the power connects several times. I also don't have any on board video.

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                        When my system that should work decides not to, I find that taking it all the way apart and putting it back together sometimes fixes it.
                        I've already rebuilt the system once,

Comment

Slowly put parts from your Mom's computer into your's :).

Comment

I've resorted to contacting gigabyte support just for kicks, I know both GPUs I have are working since I have the 9800GT in my mom's computer right now so it cannot be the card itself (I would think that this would also rule out any monitor issues since I can see my screen right now). The only thing I can think of is possible poor contact between the CPU (I do have a LOTES bracket so there should be less of a chance of this happening) and the socket, a busted CPU, or a busted MB bit somewhere (although it looks immaculate and no visible damage. I guess its time to pull the CPU out again to look at the pins and contact pads.

Comment

Well I think I've found the issue, my PSU is manic depressive. It can run a GTX 260 and the other system right off the bat but doesn't want to work in the new system. Guess it's time to give OCZ a call.

I'll have some pictures of my set up but all I have to say is that involves some legos...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X