SSD and ArmA II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD and ArmA II

Anyone running ArmA II on an SSD. I am trying to decide between adding another 4 gb of RAM (total 8gb) with a HDD vs. staying with my 4 gb of ram with an ssd. Which is the better for playing ArmA II.

Re: SSD and ArmA II

I'm on my iPhone so don't want to search, but if you go to the arma2 forum and search just that forum there is a really good thread about ssd. It was a couple months ago.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

There are several of us using ssd's and playing Arma2. 1 Longtime wrote some good stuff in the Arma2 forums on ssd's. Speaking for my self it settled the game right out with everything on high, it just looks and feels so much better. Don't expect big framerate boosts, if you are a frame rate counter you will never love this game. I dont use fraps anymore, I go by how the game looks, feels and plays for me. You dont need a big ssd, just enough for the os, some apps and Arma2, the rest can go on your regular hdd. I have a 64 gb ssd with windows 7, Arma2 and some apps and still have 20 gb to spare.I have a q6600 cpu w 4gb of ddr2 800 memory and a HD4850 gpu 1 gb, certainly not a huge rig by any standards and Arma 2 runs smooth as silk.

Comment

I have a similar setup as chief, 4GBRAM, AMD720 x3, 64GB SSD, XFX 4890 and I get great quality. It is very smooth, like chief pointed out, its not like just getting a huge fps boost, it seems to really smooth the game and make your textures load faster and look better because of it.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

SSD's for arma2 make a much bigger difference than more ram. Stuttering while flying practically dissapears.

Intel i5 720
          XFX HD5850
          8GB DDR3-1600 (runs identical with 4 though)
          40GB Kingstone SSDNow (system & arma2)
          500GB WD Green Single platter (everything else)

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
            SSD's for arma2 make a much bigger difference than more ram. Stuttering while flying practically dissapears.

Intel i5 720
            XFX HD5850
            8GB DDR3-1600 (runs identical with 4 though)
            40GB Kingstone SSDNow (system & arma2)
            500GB WD Green Single platter (everything else)
            This is the problem I have..... I think I'm going with a small SSD harddrive because I already have 8G of ram and the game still needs a bit of tweaking to make it cleaner for me. It stutters when flying so I think I will try an SSD HD before I upgrade the CPU. I will be upgrading the CPU eventually but I believe I want to try the SSD first. I wondering if I should upgrade to faster memory too?

I'm thinking the SSD might be the cheapest best solution for the time being. Any thoughts?

SPECS:
            XFX 780i 3 way SLI MOBO
            E8400 3.0 clocked to 3.5
            8G of DDR2 800
            GeForce 275GTX GPU
            "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
            "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

For me the ssd was the cheapest fix for arma 2 problems, $250 for a 64 gb ssd vs whatever for a bigger Cpu and Gpu and more memory.

Comment

Here's my post RE: SSDs and Arma 2

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...sault-2-a.html

Ignore the latter half of the post about OS (XP vs. Vista). I really don't think the slight FPS boost is worth rolling back to XP anymore.

HOWEVER, the SSD does make a huge difference. If your computer has strong components everywhere else, but the hard drive is a typical 7,200rpm, then you will not see the full potential of Arma2. Your expensive CPU, video card, and RAM will all move as slowly as the weakest link: your hard drive.

Shop carefully, make sure any SSD you buy has a cache (don't fall for the old technology that is being dumped on the market for a "bargain").

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X